Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Options
    Biggest worry for me is that with injuries, and without Gallagher, we cannot compete enough in this league to win games. That means games like Preston are passing us by and we are getting sucked in. It isn’t only the fans who need a lift, it’s the players as well. With no signings they will put up a brave show on Wednesday and then lose. Lee will say he’s proud of them,  and we will be further in the shit. 

The new owners ‘lack of clout’ to keep Gallagher worried me. In my opinion, we needed him to have a chance. Time is not on our side. Teams around us like Stoke and Huddersfield are well capable of going on a run. As is Barnsley and Luton. We need a couple of strong signings now to lift us all and secure Championship football for next season. Pay the bloody money to Maddison. If he keeps us up he will be cheap as chips.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Cawley's reply was to this question: "am I right in thinking that financial fair play is working against Charlton? All the money in the world but we can’t spend it"

His reply makes it fairly obvious that we're not even close to being in any danger of failing FFP as our wage bill is currently really low.

How are people reading that in any other way and now worrying that it means the owners don't want to spend anything?
    Exactly, thought it was clear myself. Some fans questioning if FFP is stopping us from spending, Cawley stating that is not the reason. 
  • Options
    Moo said:
    Valley11 said:
    Only Charlton could end up with a skint Sheikh 
    Lol that’s hilarious !
    Made me laugh!
  • Options
    If we sign Max Power , we've got to give him No. 11 , right ?
  • Options
    Just seen the bite sized transfer thread. We've apparently been in for Jonsonn Clarke-Harris on and off for four years now, going back to 2016 when we had a bid rejected by Rotherham in January.

It looks like he's been banging them in for Bristol Rovers this year. Prior to that, he didn't score much, to say the least.

Whenever I've seen him play I've never seen anything that made me thing "Yeah he's the one." 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    I think the only players I would want from Sunderland are Lynden Gooch and Luke O'Nien, maybe McGeady. Used to rate Max Power but he is in decline 
    Definitely not Gooch or McGeady. Cannot see how Power can be decline at 26. Having said that I cannot see how Power and the lad from Liverpool would both sign, we need a more attacking midfielder. 
    I don’t see how you come to the conclusion that we need a more attacking midfielder. We are shipping goals and part of that reason is that kids do not track players effectively. We also concede so much possession that the defence is under constant pressure.
    We do have Williams, Green, and Oztumer who can provide the cutting edge and this will not be our only signing.
    I would also suggest that a player who has been with Liverpool for so long will be very very good at the transition between defence and attack - he will know how to make a telling forward pass!
    Because we have Cullen, Field, Pratley and Lapslie who can play that sort of role. Yes we are struggling at the moment but that's because 3 of those have been injured. Chuck in two new signings and that's too many players in one position. We have lost Gallagher who's goals were a big part of our early success. We need a midfielder who can score goals. I love Williams and he should start most of the time but he doesn't score goals. 
    An attacking midfielder capable of scoring a goal would have helped get something in games like Swansea and Derby. 
    Hopefully that can be Aneke, but he appears to be made of glass.
    I still think we need 2 CMs to replace Kayal and Gallgher, and I just hope they are not both defensive midfielders. We need one capable of popping up in the box. 
    PC is a proper box to box with an eye for a pass. An upgrade on Morgan with an engine that is a marginal step down on Gallagher.
  • Options
    Moo said:
    Valley11 said:
    Lol that’s hilarious !
    Especially as we don't have a Sheikh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:
    I think the only players I would want from Sunderland are Lynden Gooch and Luke O'Nien, maybe McGeady. Used to rate Max Power but he is in decline 
    Definitely not Gooch or McGeady. Cannot see how Power can be decline at 26. Having said that I cannot see how Power and the lad from Liverpool would both sign, we need a more attacking midfielder. 
    I don’t see how you come to the conclusion that we need a more attacking midfielder. We are shipping goals and part of that reason is that kids do not track players effectively. We also concede so much possession that the defence is under constant pressure.
    We do have Williams, Green, and Oztumer who can provide the cutting edge and this will not be our only signing.
    I would also suggest that a player who has been with Liverpool for so long will be very very good at the transition between defence and attack - he will know how to make a telling forward pass!
    Because we have Cullen, Field, Pratley and Lapslie who can play that sort of role. Yes we are struggling at the moment but that's because 3 of those have been injured. Chuck in two new signings and that's too many players in one position. We have lost Gallagher who's goals were a big part of our early success. We need a midfielder who can score goals. I love Williams and he should start most of the time but he doesn't score goals. 
    An attacking midfielder capable of scoring a goal would have helped get something in games like Swansea and Derby. 
    I still think we need 2 CMs to replace Kayal and Gallgher, and I just hope they are not both defensive midfielders. We need one capable of popping up in the box. 
    PC is a proper box to box with an eye for a pass. An upgrade on Morgan with an engine that is a marginal step down on Gallagher.
    Genuinely not digging you out, but he's played 2 games for Liverpool a few years apart, what are you basing your opinion on?
  • Options
    I'd consider Kasey Palmer for Taylor if he is not going to sign and we get a replacement in. I think the lad has a lot about him. He used to be ours didn't he? 
  • Options
    I'd have taken Kasey Palmer for Taylor, only 23, Brizzle paid 3.5m for him, he'll be coming home as he's a Lewisham boy and is an exciting player. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I think we can get away with two midfielders and one striker. Of the right quality of course.
    Green bones taylor Davidson and hemed should be enough - taylor and green first choice - Lockyer is the only centre half good enough 
    Not quite as family friendly on a t-shirt as Young Fish Costa Fortune. 

• Options
    Chizz said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I think we can get away with two midfielders and one striker. Of the right quality of course.
    Green bones taylor Davidson and hemed should be enough - taylor and green first choice - Lockyer is the only centre half good enough 

All in a sesame seed bun!
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    🤣😭
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Moo said:
    Valley11 said:
    Lol that’s hilarious !
    Especially as we don't have a Sheikh.
    ‘Twas a joke. Lighten up CL. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Find it very hard to believe that we would be outbidding Middlesbrough on wages for a player, not to mention Maddison is from the north east so would almost certainly prefer to play for Boro than us.
    56 mins to unveil Maddison.....

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Genuinely not digging you out, but he's played 2 games for Liverpool a few years apart, what are you basing your opinion on?
     Not a problem, I work with a Liverpool fan who travels to every Liverpool U23 game in PL2.

I messaged him this morning to ask what kind of a player he was. His description of PC sounds a lot like a blend of Gallagher and Morgan.

Here's his reply

I haven't heard anything about you being in for him?  I think he'd do well in the Championship.

He works hard all game, or at least until the 60th/70th minute when he tires. He sprays the ball around accurately with short passes, but he has an eye for a long a pass too and they come off quite a lot. 

He can also split defences with decent through balls. He's not a goalscorer and tends to play the pass that leads to the assist, not the actual assist.

Pedro isn't afraid to put a tackle in with some tenacity, will work hard to regain possession. He sometimes jumps in a bit so something to be wary of is that he can be a booking waiting to happen.

That coupled with my understanding of Morgan and Gallagher that I have seen week in, week out leads me to the assumption that PC could be an improvement on Morgan, but with an engine and effort a bit like Gallagher. Certainly sounds like he doesn't have Gallagher's eye for goal either... obviously can't say for certain he's better than Morgan or has less of an engine than Gallagher.

A very loose assumption and hopefully it's right.
    Thanks, sounds positive and hopefully (if we sign him obvioulsy) he turns out like Gallagher, in terms of being a great find. 

But, my initial stance is still the same that he sounds like a replacement for Kayal and isn't going to chip in with a few so I would still like a Gallagher replacement too. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Scoham said:
    Find it very hard to believe that we would be outbidding Middlesbrough on wages for a player, not to mention Maddison is from the north east so would almost certainly prefer to play for Boro than us.
    56 mins to unveil Maddison.....

I hope he is unveiled just after 1pm so I can castigated the person who posted in on Twitter.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    And yet more appropriate then when our backline was Motta Suk-Young Fanni
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:

Posting without reading. I heard Pedro Chirivella could be joining on loan.

Now that’s how you do a rumour. No messing about with vague hints and disappearing as soon as someone asks for a name.
    Is that aimed at me? 🙄
    You’re being complemented with not fucking about with riddles just wallop 

are we still offering shit wages or improved from what you’d previously heard ?
    Haven't heard anything else on that recently
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:

Now that’s how you do a rumour. No messing about with vague hints and disappearing as soon as someone asks for a name.
    Is that aimed at me? 🙄

Do you know what is holding the Bowyer deal up?
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:

Is that aimed at me? 🙄

Do you know what is holding the Bowyer deal up?
    nope, money i guess