Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Vlogging- Fun or a Pain. Discuss

I’ve nearly started this thread a few times recently but didn’t want to be seen as an old fuddy duddy. @Croydon’s comments in the post match thread have persuaded me to do it. 

I watched Jimmy wotsisname’s Vlogs from the season before last and enjoyed them. His interplay with the lovely Risha was entertaining but it all got a bit egocentric before he packed it in. Lately young Tyler and even younger Millie have stepped into the frame. I have to say I’m halfway between “good on ya kids” and “get a F’kin life” in my reaction now.  Tyler mate, you’re making a good fist of this but please stop picking your zits on air, it’s really yuck!  I enjoy the insights and seeing clips of the game from other perspectives but when these vlogs descend into just being a bloke talking to the phone giving his views (see the Sunderland guy on YouTube) it just leaves me cold. Young Thorgun’s how shall we say, enthusiastic, vlog from Bulgaria was entertaining but I’d been in earshot of him making it I’d have found it incredibly irritating. I reserve the right from my hallowed seat in the west upper to catch some kip when I need to and to concentrate on the game when I’m not gasping for a wee. Some kid constantly prattling into an iPhone within a few yards would be met by a stern glance at best or a flying thermos at worst. I know I’m not the target audience.  Done well these things are helpful and entertaining. Done badly they are self indulgent and a nuisance. Views please. 

Comments

• No problem with it.
    what i do find strange are the youngsters near me who film themselves gesticulating at the away fans.
  • I like the different perspectives, both personal and visual.
    I say they're fine myself.
  • edited October 2019
    Not so much the vlogs that I was asking about. As a few of you have said, don’t like, don’t watch. Maybe I wasn’t clear. I quite like watching the good ones. But there are so many more bad ones out there. My real issue is with the making of them. It’s a similar issue to why I don’t go to gigs any more - paying a lot of money for a ticket just to stare through a sea of mobile phones. Personal space and all that. Maybe I’m just getting old. 
  • seth plum said:
    I like the different perspectives, both personal and visual.
    I say they're fine myself.
    Yes, it’s interesting to see how the away fans percieve us, the area and the team.
  • Flogging at the S&M club now that is fun, what the hell is vlogging
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2019
    Not so much the vlogs that I was asking about. As a few of you have said, don’t like, don’t watch. Maybe I wasn’t clear. I quite like watching the good ones. But there are so many more bad ones out there. My real issue is with the making of them. It’s a similar issue to why I don’t go to gigs any more - paying a lot of money for a ticket just to stare through a sea of mobile phones. Personal space and all that. Maybe I’m just getting old. 
    Thing is with practice they will get better, like anything really. As already said if it doesn't float your boat then don't watch it. I'm not an avid watcher of them myself, have watched the odd one. Anyway, they are still watching the game they are just commentating on it.
    I have spotted a fan filming the game on their phone so they are watching the match on a small screen, strange thing to do.
  • edited October 2019
    I like flicking through them (even the bad ones) to see if they managed to capture any decent footage of the goals and aftermath.

A couple of Derby vloggers did a good job capturing the goals and the home end celebrations yesterday...
  • MrOneLung said:
    Off_it said:
    They're just symptom of today's "look at me" narcissistic world.

Just ignore them if they don't float your boat. I do.
    He says publicly posting his thoughts on a web platform. 
    Precisely!

Have saved you all the sight of my boat though!
  • I like flicking through them (even the bad ones) to see if they managed to capture any decent footage of the goals and aftermath.

A couple of Derby vloggers did a good job capturing the goals and the home end celebrations yesterday...

Yeh I saw a really good one of those.

Looked about 16...but he seemed to have a decent amount of general knowledge.

Was a passionate derby fan....that basically just had a really sh*t day.

Had a good camera angle on all 3 of our goals.

Was a well edited video.

In regards to "fake celebrations" done in time just for the filming , I guess that is rather cringey and unnatural.

It's the sort of thing that only Roland or Meire would understand.

I wonder how much money the YouTubers of this calibre actually make?

If they do fake celebrations....then they must be making some solid cash?

I see a few of them have ads etc 

• Get a lot of followers you then get paid to advertise more commonly called influencers
  • They always say 'like' or 'subscribe', but I wouldn't have a clue how to do either of those things so I don't.
  • seth plum said:
    They always say 'like' or 'subscribe', but I wouldn't have a clue how to do either of those things so I don't.
    If you go on to YouTube itself to watch the video there will be a big red button called subscribe which you can click

On your main screen there will be a list of people you subscribe to, when there is a new video from that person there will be a blue dot to let you know

If you want to "Like" a video, just click the thumbs up icon
  • seth plum said:
    They always say 'like' or 'subscribe', but I wouldn't have a clue how to do either of those things so I don't.

Yeh...that's going to be off putting.

These people do not have a talent. They are simply just watching a football match.

People can just go on the skysports app for the highlights.

But hey, if it works, then it works.

Ca-ching 
  • Sponsored links:

• I dont really get these, but there are piles of equally shit videos on YouTube. Magnet fishing in Hull, $100 mystery box off Ebay and unboxing Samsung S8. They're not informative, funny or thrilling.
  • I'm anti, but think that's clear from my comments on the other thread.

Just another thing to dislike about this reality TV/influencer world we seem to live in.
  • I think they're boring and usually don't offer any insight that I can't pick up myself or in an easier way than watching a 10 minute long video.. That being said, I do not think that they are aimed at adults, more at 11-17 year olds. That's why you don't get many adults doing vlogs, only kids
  • I don't get it myself, when I'm at the game I want to watch it without distractions and leave my phone alone until half time or a break in play to get a scores update from around the grounds.

I was actually a bit embarrassed when the 3rd goal went in I still had my phone in my hand to cheer the goal having checking scores around the grounds as I was still going in Super Six.

Maybe because that's how many of us grew up watching football without a phone in our hands we don't get those who live there lives through there phones.

Got no problem with those who do want to blog but unless it's going to provide exclusive unseen match footage or detailed match analysis with a couple of Charlton legends in a studio it's not for me personally. Fair play to those who do take an interest in it though.
  • Couldn't do it myself as I wouldn't be able to enjoy the game while holding my phone for 90 mins talking about the action.

However I do like watching some of them especially Tyler and Millies.

Wembley ones are decent. The Jamie Boxall one is very good.
  • Considering matchday vlogs are the closest I get to a match day experience on most Saturday's, I do like seeing the point of view from people who were at the game. Makes me feel a bit closer to the team. There are one section of vloggers that annoy me. I remember loads of matchday vlogs on Youtube at the playoff final, the majority of which were not from Charlton supporters. If I had missed Bauer's goal because a random youtuber decided to get in my way just so he could take a good video, I'd be pissed off. Aside from that small contingent, I'm quite a fan. Will probably try and get a ticket for the Cardiff game somewhat close to where Tyler Rowlinson sits as I like the atmosphere in that part of the covered end. 
  • Juvenile Pain Hormones