Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bristol City v Charlton Athletic | Wednesday 23 October | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited October 2019 in General Charlton
Bristol City v Charlton Athletic
Wednesday 23 October | Kick-Off: 19:45pm | Live on Sky Sports via Red Button
Referee: James Linington

I don’t usually do this but after his recent performances, a suspension from officiating, and his awful performance against Peterborough United at The Valley last season, it’s got to be said that Linington is one of the worst Championship referees. Linington has produced 5 red cards and 4 penalties in his last 11 games. Interestingly, in the three most recent times he has officiated a Millwall game, they’ve won them all, won two penalties and had an opposition player sent off twice. Thankfully, we won’t have him on 9th November. For further information, take a look at his profile on Transfermarkt.co.uk 

Introduction
After the second international break of the season, we are right back into the swing of things playing our second game in 7 days and our first midweek away game of the season. The result against Derby County on Saturday was wonderful. A display that optimised the hard work of our coaching staff, whilst possessing ample quality across the pitch. Every player performed at a very high standard, and we saw some very good goals too… But we now must quickly recover and turn our attentions to what is again another tough test, that is going to pose us different questions which we haven’t yet faced this season. Therefore, the travelling for two away games in quick succession begins, first up is Bristol City.

Opposition
Manager: Lee Johnson (40% win rate) | Stadium: Ashton Gate
League Position: 9th | Nickname(s): The Robins
Fun facts:
Bristol City were formerly known as Bristol South End until they merged with Bedminster in 1900 who played their home games at Ashton Gate. It wasn’t until 1904 where the merger club as we know it to be called now, Bristol City, later moved into Ashton Gate.
Bristol City are the 5th English Football League club to have both a father and son as their managers at different times in their history. Can you name the other four?
**Answer provided in Spoiler**

Bristol City usually play a variation of systems that predominantly are based around a back three. Depending on whether Kasey Palmer plays, depends whether they play a slightly more attacking version of 3-4-1-2, or when he isn’t in the team, they often will play a more structured, 3-5-2. The Robins last line up was:

Bentley
Moore Williams Baker
Hunt Brownhill Massengo Rowe
Palmer
Weimann Diedhiou

Surprisingly, Bristol City got comfortably beaten at Luton Town on Saturday, by the same scoreline as our fantastic result, 3-0. Interestingly, Bristol City’s home form since the start of last season has not been too strong either, especially for a team who have aspirations of finishing in the top 6. Picking up only 40 points in 28 games - this includes only 10 wins. Therefore, it would be silly to think we can’t go to Ashton Gate and get a positive result, because form over the last year has shown that many teams, do in fact, do relatively well.

The defeat for Bristol City was only their second of the season, and first since dating back to the opening game of the season, against Leeds United at home where they lost 3-1. The Robins overall start has been impressive though. Picking up 5 wins and 5 draws, scoring 18 goals but conceded 16. A good run of form has propelled them into 9th, and only 3 points behind the top two.

In terms of danger men for Bristol City, I don’t think you can look much further than Andreas Weimann. The Austrian international is often deployed up front for The Robins but has played much of his career out wide. A quick and tricky player, comfortable with both feet, he will be looking to stretch our back line, especially down our left hand side. In midfield, Kasey Palmer will come up against his original academy side for the first time in his career, a talented and skilful player who can score screamers from outside the box, he will have to be picked up well by our holding midfield. But this Bristol City team is so much like many others, talented on the ball at times but not prepared to do the other side. Derby County was the same, these teams just don’t track back and it’s what separates us from much of the rest. If we can get midfield runners supporting Bonne, we will score goals. It’s about being brave and trusting one another, and I think we have a team that do.

Charlton Team News
With Field and Leko unable to feature in our game away at West Bromwich Albion at the weekend, it would be a sage move to assume they will most certainly be involved at Bristol City. Further changes are expected with the lack of recovery time, training time, and the effort the players put in each game. With losing Jonny Williams midway through the first half on Saturday, to what we can only hope is a minor knee injury, there will be at least one enforced change. Adam Matthews picked up a hamstring injury in training last week and will be out for a couple of weeks, whilst Chris Solly won’t play until Saturday. Players hoping for a recall to the starting XI include Oztumer, Pearce, and Oshilaja. In addition, we now can expect players such as Kayal and Hemed to be involved and hope that Purrington was not risked on Saturday in the aim to play on Wednesday. Lewis Page is back in training this coming week, and it won’t be long now before our talisman up front, Lyle Taylor, will be available for selection too.

With the system that Bristol City play, it wouldn’t surprise me to see us keep to a back 3/5 ourselves. But with the squad situation and not knowing how players are going to recover, I do expect us to revert back to the diamond. A formation that Luton Town also play, and had a lot of joy against Bristol City.

Subs: Amos, Sarr, Pratley, Lapslie, Kayal, Forster-Caskey, Hemed

Prediction
With the quick turnaround and the use of our squad that is available to us, this game is harder than it would’ve been had we been due to play them on a Saturday. The team must be so confident right now after a great victory at home, but Bristol City will want to put their bad result behind them too.

Bristol City 1-1 Charlton Athletic
Lockyer

Answer to the question in Fun Facts: Brentford, Fulham, Bournemouth, and Derby County

Comments

• I have a lot more confidence after yesterday's results.

Brizzle definitely miss Benik Afobe, you suspect that with him a couple of those draws would have been converted to wins.

Very hard to predict how we'll line up, a real asset being able to rest players and switch systems. And while the whole team worked really hard yesterday, it wasn't one of those games in which you're defending and giving 110% for the whole match, indeed the last 20 were pretty slow.
  • Great Preview as always @Sage!!
  • Good preview Sage, I have got to be positive after Saturday, 1-2 win. Because this is on the red button on Sky, sorry I will not be contributing to the match day thread
  • Five changes to the starting line up is too many. Solly a given, but Oz has failed to impress, and dropping two CBs is stupid. Three at the back is a given if City play wing backs.
  • edited October 2019
    My predicted team v Bristol City (we win 2-1)
    Phillips
    Oshilaja, Lockyer, Sarr, Forster-Caskey
    Field, Pratley, Cullen
    Gallagher
    Leko, Bonne

My predicted team v West Bromwich Albion (subject to fitness) (we lose 0-2)
    Phillips
    Solly, Lockyer, Pearce, Purrington
    Kayal, Pratley (or JFC depending who has more left), Cullen
    Gallagher
    Hemed, Bonne

• With Williams out and Solly needing a break, I would add Oshilaja at right wing back and Field for Williams. Keep the same formation as against Derby otherwise. It looked pretty good.
  • ross1 said:
    Good preview Sage, I have got to be positive after Saturday, 1-2 win. Because this is on the red button on Sky, sorry I will not be contributing to the match day thread
    Part-timer ...

😉
  • Bristol City got well and truly done at Luton yesterday but at Ashton Gate they will want to bounce back and will be a different kettle of fish. Bowyer will be unlikely to be able to call on Williams and even so will I think make a few changes. This won’t be easy but I think we’re more than capable of getting a point. 
    1 - 1
  • Sponsored links:

• This has 2-1 Charlton written all over it... 
  • ross1 said:
    Good preview Sage, I have got to be positive after Saturday, 1-2 win. Because this is on the red button on Sky, sorry I will not be contributing to the match day thread
    Can you get red button games on Now TV? 
  • Excellent preview. 
    I agree with you that there will be quite a few changes. Some enforced and some giving players a rest.
    A chance for certain players to step up and show what they can do. 
    I am sure they will.
    2.1 Charlton. 
  • Hard to call - surprised how strong we've been defensively given all the injuries. Hopefully 1-1.
  • edited October 2019
    2-0 to the rip roaring Addicks - Gallagher and Bonne
  • shine166 said:
    ross1 said:
    Can you get red button games on Now TV? 
    Unfortunately not.

The Red Button service is only available to Sky and Virgin TV customers.

If that's not possible for you, Valley Pass will be available to show the game live to UK customers due to it being in midweek.

Good luck, and I hope you manage to watch it without any trouble.
  • We are bang back on form, they are inconsistent and took a beating on Saturday .. they will be dangerous and keen to get back on track, we are confident and we'll win by playing a defensive game and attacking on the break where Leko and Bonne are a real revelation chasing long balls into space from the back, especially from Sarr. I expect Williams to start and to play for about an hour. He's become a vital part of Bowyer's master plan.

Bristol City 0 v CAFC 1
  • 1-1. Think we will play well but they will nick a late goal. 

Gallagher with ours!
  • We are bang back on form, they are inconsistent and took a beating on Saturday .. they will be dangerous and keen to get back on track, we are confident and we'll win by playing a defensive game and attacking on the break where Leko and Bonne are a real revelation chasing long balls into space from the back, especially from Sarr. I expect Williams to start and to play for about an hour. He's become a vital part of Bowyer's master plan.

Bristol City 0 v CAFC 1
    Williams is out and hopefully will only miss this game and the West Brom one. I don't expect Sarr to start either, but there's no chance Williams will be involved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:p
    We are bang back on form, they are inconsistent and took a beating on Saturday .. they will be dangerous and keen to get back on track, we are confident and we'll win by playing a defensive game and attacking on the break where Leko and Bonne are a real revelation chasing long balls into space from the back, especially from Sarr. I expect Williams to start and to play for about an hour. He's become a vital part of Bowyer's master plan.

Bristol City 0 v CAFC 1
    Williams is out and hopefully will only miss this game and the West Brom one. I don't expect Sarr to start either, but there's no chance Williams will be involved.
    I’ve liked the comment from @Sage because I agree with him, not because I like the content. Jonny will be a big miss. 
  • edited October 2019
    I have a feeling LB will stay with the 5 across the back for this one with Pearce in for Sarr and Deji in for Solly. Field to stay in after his display on Saturday to replace Williams. Also an outside chance that Lapslie could play right wing back. 

• Same formation. Same team (Field for Johnny) Same result. Different scoreline. 1-0 Hemed finally gets one.
  • The West Brom boys both have to start and, form and injuries permitting, play the 90 against Bristol City given that neither can play on Saturday. The question is whether Field replaces Williams or Pratley which for me depends on an evaluation of how much mileage Darren has left in his tank. If fit enough Pratley starts on Wednesday.

Kayal will need some more minutes off the bench as he will definitely need to be involved at WBA. Lapslie should also be on the bench at the very least.

Given Hemed's lack of anything meaningful I'd seriously consider sticking Bonne up top on his own against WBA and going 4-5-1 with Conor, say, bombing up in support.
  • Did not know having recently joined virgin tv that I can get red button games. That’s handy 😁
  • ross1 said:
    Part-timer ...

😉
    I know when I am not available you will do a splendid job like every other game when you add your information  :)
  • A good test of our squad. 

1-0 to the boys, with a Cullen goal.
  • I would play 3 at the back -partly because I am coming round to the idea of that being the way to go all the while Taylor is out and partly because i think Pearce can come in for Pratley in a back 3 and Field looked much better on Saturday than he ever has at the base of the diamond. 

Phillips
    Lockyer Pearce Sarr
    Oshilaja Gallagher Field Purrington
    Oztumer 
    Leko Bonne

Amos Pratley Lapslie Cullen Kayal Hemed JFC

Lot of changes and feels a bit defensive too with 4 cbs on the pitch and Oshilaja and Purrington as wing backs. That's why i have decided to give Cullen a rest - he has played every game for us and doesn't often get subbed- which allows Ozzy to come in and provide a little extra creativity. Bit of a risk in CM but I reckon the Conor-Sam partnership will work.
  • Anybody got any tips for parking around Ashton Gate?
    We are likely to arrive quite lateish, so I'm guessing the sites recommended by BCFC may have all gone (Avonline, DJ Parking, Cricket Club).
    There's a Sainsbury's nearish, thought I might chance that?
  • I thought both Pearce and Lapslie are injury doubts based on the OS on Saturday when side was announced.