Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jonathon Leko - Jan 2024: on loan at Burton (p14)

Comments

• Is he a winger or striker? 
  • Albion’s Sporting and Technical Director Luke Dowling said the switch promised to be extremely beneficial to both players.

“With the players we are recruiting this summer, it’s an opportunity to maintain their development.

“It was important that they went to a manager who believes in them and Lee Bowyer certainly fits that category. I know Lee well and we have spoken about Sam and Jonathan’s development at Charlton and we are hopeful the two boys will come back to us with a strong body of first-team games behind them in the Championship and be ready for us.

“The worst thing for them would have been to keep them around the group here. They are past the level of under-23s football.”
  • Blistering pace...that will do for me....welcome to the club
  • edited August 2019
    Only seen him a few times but always looked pretty quick. Finishing is maybe a bit suspect but should be a good partner for Taylor. 

Closest thing to Grant we could probably get. Very happy with the last 24 hours. Now just need to keep Taylor and add in one or two more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Is he a midfielder or a forward.
  • excellent
    Winger/Forward - I've seen him played in both positions.
  • Wonder what that means for Harriot's chances though....
  • I think he's quite a versatile player, can play right wing or up top, and if we sign Harriott on a one year contract too I can see Bowyer having the option at least to play with wingers with those 2 in the squad
    I fear we won't sign Callum Harriot now. :neutral:

• Bowyer: “I’m excited to work with Jonathan because he has a bit of everything. He’s definitely something we haven’t got here. “He’s going to be exciting to watch. When I’ve watched him, he got me excited and he had me on the edge of the chair and if he’s doing that to me, he’ll be doing that to all our fans because every time he gets the ball you think ‘go on then, what are you going to do with it this time?’ He goes past people with ease, he has great pace, he is going to hurt people in behind, so I’m definitely looking forward to working with him.”

Leko: : “I jumped in the car and drove down the motorway as soon as I heard. It feels amazing, Charlton are a great club so I’m very happy to be here. I can’t wait to see The Valley on Saturday, I’m raring to go.” 

Gallen: “Lee and I have been saying the squad lacked a little bit of pace, so it was important we got someone like Jonathan in. Jonathan is very athletic, very quick, very strong. He wants to take people on, he wants to get after people.”

I just hope he takes the ball with him when he goes past oppo defenders and his "hurting people in behind" isn't some sort of code for blindside punches!

He sounds like he's the 'flair' part of our midfield/half-forward line: the skills of a Holmes or Fosu coupled with the attitude of our more established players and he sounds like a winner to me.

I'm looking forward to watching him ripping Division Two defences a new one.
  • edited August 2019
    Bowyer: “I’m excited to work with Jonathan because he has a bit of everything. He’s definitely something we haven’t got here. “He’s going to be exciting to watch. When I’ve watched him, he got me excited and he had me on the edge of the chair and if he’s doing that to me, he’ll be doing that to all our fans because every time he gets the ball you think ‘go on then, what are you going to do with it this time?’ He goes past people with ease, he has great pace, he is going to hurt people in behind, so I’m definitely looking forward to working with him.”

Leko: : “I jumped in the car and drove down the motorway as soon as I heard. It feels amazing, Charlton are a great club so I’m very happy to be here. I can’t wait to see The Valley on Saturday, I’m raring to go.” 

Gallen: “Lee and I have been saying the squad lacked a little bit of pace, so it was important we got someone like Jonathan in. Jonathan is very athletic, very quick, very strong. He wants to take people on, he wants to get after people.”

I just hope he takes the ball with him when he goes past oppo defenders and his "hurting people in behind" isn't some sort of code for blindside punches!

He sounds like he's the 'flair' part of our midfield/half-forward line: the skills of a Holmes or Fosu coupled with the attitude of our more established players and he sounds like a winner to me.

I'm looking forward to watching him ripping Division Two defences a new one.
    I see what you did there...

• Leko is still a raw talent, loads of pace, full of tricks. Maybe lacks intelligence in picking the final ball, but he has plenty of potential and will improve with regular football. Bowyer will improve him massively. Another good signing.
  • Only seen him a few times but always looked pretty quick. Finishing is maybe a bit suspect but should be a good partner for Taylor. 

Closest thing to Grant we could probably get. Very happy with the last 24 hours. Now just need to keep Taylor and add in one or two more.

Assume you mean Taylor. I have a worrying feeling that he won't be here tomorrow - hope I'm wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Think this one is a bit more of a gamble and could go either way. We really need a pacey striker to suit Bowyer's way of playing and he's certainly got pace, but he's also one of those neither one thing nor the other winger-strikers. If Bowyer can get into his head, sort his finishing out and encourage him to forge a partnership with Lyle then we might be in for a great time with him. Alternatively if he can't find his rhythm it might be a bit of a letdown. Need to get another striker in today to offset this aspect and give us options
  • He went on a season long loan to Bristol City in 2017 but was sent back after just 11 appearances. Wonder what happened there.
  • He went on a season long loan to Bristol City in 2017 but was sent back after just 11 appearances. Wonder what happened there.
    Was recalled rather than sent back

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2018/01/02/west-brom-youngster-jonathan-leko-heading-back-to-the-hawthorns/
  • Oggy Red said:
    Is he a midfielder or a forward.

Harriott is different because he is left footed. I can see a place in the squad for both. 
  • welcome Jonathan .. a raw talent if ever there was one .. good fortune in your stay with CAFC
  • edited August 2019
    Richard J said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Is he a midfielder or a forward.

Harriott is different because he is left footed. I can see a place in the squad for both. 
    Harriott is less of a speedster too, more the "tricky winger/No 10" type
  • I can hear it now, Leeeeekoooo (lets hope for the right reasons..)
  • Hope he's a better striker than his stats suggest.

0 goals in 16 appearances for West Brom.
    0 goals in 11 appearances for Bristol city.
    2 goals in 38 appearances for various England youth teams.

Although obviously he was only 20 a few months ago so i guess a lot of those club games were sub appearances.
  • Hope he's a better striker than his stats suggest.

0 goals in 16 appearances for West Brom.
    0 goals in 11 appearances for Bristol city.
    2 goals in 38 appearances for various England youth teams.

Although obviously he was only 20 a few months ago so i guess a lot of those club games were sub appearances.
    Depends what type of striker you're after - scoring or non-scoring? If he was the finished article we wouldn't be getting him.