Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonathon Leko - Jan 2024: on loan at Burton (p14)

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    Talk about our Birmingham "friends" on various other threads reminds me. 

Anyone know where Jonathan Leko will be playing his football this year? Has he been retained by Birmingham? 
  • Options

Anyone know where Jonathan Leko will be playing his football this year? Has he been retained by Birmingham? 
    Still there and no sign of him leaving at the moment.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/birmingham-city-eustace-leko-takeover-24546621
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Still there and no sign of him leaving at the moment.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/birmingham-city-eustace-leko-takeover-24546621
    Thanks.

"In the last two he has been deployed at left wing-back". That must be an interesting experience for him. And a terrifying one for anyone watching.

• Options
    Please Don't let him ever come back to us. About level with DJ on the "he frustrates the hell out of me" scale.
  • Options

Hopefully it won’t be in SE7
  • Options
    saw this thread at the top of the page and thought 'surely not'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He started so well in the RWB role and then when he got injured he came back to a team in disarray. We ended up so, so far from the fluid 4 at the back in possession and 5 without that we started off with and become so static. Leko was pretty well-suited to being a winger when the team had the ball, but he was totally misused once we forgot what the plan was and he's not a striker to create something with very little. He needs a decent partner, but he was often up front with Burstow or Lee and it was tough to watch. He looked totally drained of confidence by the end, hope he gets his mojo back.
    I don't think that he was ever suited to being a winger, as he never knew when to release the ball.
    He is an incredibly skilful player but somebody needs to sit down and remind him that football is a team game and not the game in the playground where you hog the ball for as long as you can.
  • Options
    Individual players like Leko are difficult to accommodate in any formation. This player will excite said Lee Bowyer and TBF he did at times but his career has gone backwards over the last 3 years and I don't just mean because he had to play wing back at times !
  • Options
    There is a player in there, just needs playing in a more forward role.
  • Options
    He started so well in the RWB role and then when he got injured he came back to a team in disarray. We ended up so, so far from the fluid 4 at the back in possession and 5 without that we started off with and become so static. Leko was pretty well-suited to being a winger when the team had the ball, but he was totally misused once we forgot what the plan was and he's not a striker to create something with very little. He needs a decent partner, but he was often up front with Burstow or Lee and it was tough to watch. He looked totally drained of confidence by the end, hope he gets his mojo back.
    For one match , he played well as a RWB.  I liked him a lot in that brief spell with Williams , Gallagher , Cullen and the guy with pink hair ; not again, thanks 
  • Options
    Loan players can be a little bit hit and miss, but his performances last season were dreadful. I had high hopes when he signed and thought in league one he’d be a cut above but he was woeful 
  • Options
    It's weird that he's still only 24. I know he broke into the West Brom team at 16 but it feels like he must be 30 by now.

Still think he can be decent if used correctly, but kind of like with Albie Morgan, I don't know how to use him correctly.

My enduring memory of him will always be his affection for Tracy Leaburn. 
  • Options
    The kind of player that would probably have made a bigger impact here if he signed on a permanent deal. A fit Leko one side and CBT on the other round have made a formidable sight
  • Options
    edited January 26
    After initially being very frustrating, I grew to quite like him in his first spell. Was pretty hopeless in his second, though if I recall correctly he played out of position (wing back?) most of the time. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    After initially being very frustrating, I grew to quite like him in his first spell. Was pretty hopeless in his second, though if I recall correctly he played out of position (wing back?) most of the time. 
    Yeah he had some good moments under Adkins playing wide right and just running at his man with his pace. And then never looked good as a wingback or central striker, especially given that he was played up front with Burstow and that didn't suit either of them.