Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Gaz Metan PSF 4 July 2019 KO 6.00pm (ed. Match abandoned as Gaz was a very naughty boy)

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Let’s be clear. If that starting line up is what we play with next term we will be cannon fodder and probably get a record low points level. But it won’t be. In LB we trust. 
  • Options
    Gaz Metan are millwall 
    Hardly. You were winning at the time.
    Superb timing BBW as usual, but even in the 2-1 defeat at the den when we played with 10 men after Solly's red card early doors we were 1-0 up mid way through the 2nd half.
    Being middle age/Old now I can recall a match at the old den that my Bermondsey Born Dad
    ( supported both the spanners and Cafc !) took me to when Charlton were 2-0 up at HT :) but lost 3-2 :'(

The good news for Charlton fans is I don't intend to go to the den this season because I have been to 23 out of 26 matches at the den since 27/08/66 and You've guessed it,the only 3 away games I missed were the 3 wins  :#

28/10/78 Tonsillitis
    02/09/92 working (Anglo Italian cup)
    05/12/95 car broke down when running late !!

Seen home wins against Millwall, wins home and away wins against Palace. 

But I can only put it down to Nature punishing me for not supporting the club I was born nearest too !

STOP MESSING UP THE QUOTE FUNCTION!!!!!! :D
  • Options
    Until the last 3 games last season, Pratley looked out of his depth in League 1,
    He had a great impact in the semi final and final, trust my judgement that at 34 Pratley will struggle big time in the Championship.
  • Options
    Love the fact its gone National...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48879439
  • Options
    In retrospect, it does seem an odd choice of team to pick ? An eastern European side who had already played a number of games and who turned up for a competitive game when we wanted an ultra friendly ( no hard tackling) for our first warm up kick about.

Strange.
  • Options
    In retrospect, it does seem an odd choice of team to pick ? An eastern European side who had already played a number of games and who turned up for a competitive game when we wanted an ultra friendly ( no hard tackling) for our first warm up kick about.

Strange.
    Maybe it was just fluke. Maybe they were staying in the same complex, and it became as simple as "Why not?"?
  • Options
    Gaz Metan are millwall 
    Superb timing BBW as usual, but even in the 2-1 defeat at the den when we played with 10 men after Solly's red card early doors we were 1-0 up mid way through the 2nd half.
    Being middle age/Old now I can recall a match at the old den that my Bermondsey Born Dad
    ( supported both the spanners and Cafc !) took me to when Charlton were 2-0 up at HT :) but lost 3-2 :'(

The good news for Charlton fans is I don't intend to go to the den this season because I have been to 23 out of 26 matches at the den since 27/08/66 and You've guessed it,the only 3 away games I missed were the 3 wins  :#

28/10/78 Tonsillitis

But I can only put it down to Nature punishing me for not supporting the club I was born nearest too !

I thought you spanner bad boys liked living outside the rules.
  • Options
    Gaz Metan are millwall 

28/10/78 Tonsillitis

Don't shout at me Dad  >:)

And when I was 4 years old and said I wanted to go and see the Lions and Tigers did you take me to Millwall v Hull.
  • Options
    Don’t think the club choose the opposition, from what I can work out the tour company booked them as they were nearby.
  • Options
    Don’t think the club choose the opposition, from what I can work out the tour company booked them as they were nearby.
    Pretty strange to have a 70 minutes game.

The opposition should not be an issue as this game was for limbering up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Until the last 3 games last season, Pratley looked out of his depth in League 1,
    He had a great impact in the semi final and final, trust my judgement that at 34 Pratley will struggle big time in the Championship.
    Is your judgment any good ?
  • Options
    At least he sees better without rose tinted goggles.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I think so.
    If a player near the end of his career can't get into a side in League 1 unless there are injuries. How is he good for  a Championship side when he is 34 ?
    I thought Darren was decent in the last 3 matches and used his experience well.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Not sure that’s totally fair. He was decent v. Sunderland at the SoL for a start. Played decently in quite a few games.
    You might be right that he’ll struggle in the Championship, but worth giving him a run out at least?

• Options
    Also don't forget the cracker DP scored away at Shrewsbury at the turn of the year 😉.
  • Options
    DP not only scored that cracker at Shrewsbury but without his Second goal at home to Donny in play-offs we were stuffed.

If and when he plays next season he gets 100% support from me, just like Josh Parker, Morgan Fox or back in the day Peter Shaw. I will give my opinion on players after games but only support during a game.

That's our I roll.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I think so.
    If a player near the end of his career can't get into a side in League 1 unless there are injuries. How is he good for  a Championship side when he is 34 ?
    I thought Darren was decent in the last 3 matches and used his experience well.

I think he wasn’t first choice to play but was mostly on the bench was because he isn’t a natural fit for the game plan that LB has the team playing but when we need a plan B or somebody to get a grip of a game we’ve let slip then DP is The Man. I also think he will shine in the Championship as we make our way to the PL because Plan B might get rolled out a few more times, it’s that type of league 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The point I was making was there was the DP who played for 2 thirds of the season in League 1 and made late tackles and got yellow cards or was a liability. Then when the injuries to Cullen,Williams, Reeves and Bielik occured the water carrier became a very important player, on and off the pitch with his nous and 100 % commitment.
    Plus that mega important goal against Donny.
    I have doubts  about this coming season for Darren BUT in Bowyer we trust. 

Darren Pratley had his best 3 games for Cafc in his last 3 games.

Unfortunately Naby Sarr after being superb nearly every game after covering for Pearce reverted to the Naby on ice of his early career at Cafc in his last 2 games.
    On CL as all football web site it seems yours as good as your last Game. 

Pratley's stock has risen and Sarr's has fallen. But the Nabster can bounce back as long as he doesn't do the Cruyff turn when last man against the Spanners !
  • Options
    The simple truth is that Bowyer has a tiny budget to work with and in the the great scheme of things, Pratley is the best financial option.
  • Options
    Nabs will be ok in the C, just need to watch his discipline. 

There will be occasions this coming season when our post match chat says:
    “As soon as Pratley went off, we
    looked shaky and they were always going to get the winner/equaliser”.
  • Options
    The best financial option is Cullen or an equivalent on loan. Pratley is an option off the bench, although I think his decent performances are being exaggerated as they happened to come in important games, and it doesn't harm his cause that the Donny keeper handed him a goal. 

What it shouldn't mask is that he offered next to nothing going forward in a creative sense (cross for KAG's late winner at the start of the season aside) and consistently stuck his passes out of play or at opposition players. He was very, very slow and often found himself arriving a second late - an automatic free-kick. 

Yes, he offered fight. In the final he pushed someone over and got some tackles in. By some miracle the other players pieced together a goal of the season contender (which he was also a second late to tap in, unlike Purrington behind him). But we didn't look like creating anything until he came off. As for the semi final, that whole second half was total backs-to-the-wall stuff when we should have been exerting our natural dominance over Doncaster, and we came extremely close to paying for it. Pratley's role in that game, apart from accepting their keeper's gift, was to tackle one Donny player, only for the ball to roll to another Donny player and the attack to continue. It certainly wasn't to put a foot on the ball and move it around - his game just isn't about possession. 

If he had his former mobility he'd be useful, of course. He's physically imposing and aggressive. But as he is, with him on the field we can ONLY sit back and grimly hope for the best. Our shape becomes completely defensive-oriented. We barely look like scoring (one game against a completely demoralised and apathetic Shrewsbury aside). I don't mind a player without one of passing and mobility but without both? Experience, size and aggression can only get you so far. 

Keep him as the emergency fourth centre-back (yes, fourth, Henry, he hasn't snuck ahead of Naby as you always like to pretend) and last-ditch midfield option. But the Championship will expose him and us so cruelly if he plays. 
  • Options
    To me the surprising thing with Pratley is that he seemed to get fitter as the season progressed. At the start of the season he was constantly half a yard behind play, hence the regular bookings, but towards the end of the season he seemed sharper and much more up to speed
  • Options
    Pratley appears to have a great attitude and will put his body on the line and i'm sure is great around the training ground etc but there is no way he should be anywhere near our match day squad before injuries and suspensions start to play a part - the midfield signings / re signings we make in the next month will dictate how we do this year.  
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Macronate said:
    Bloody Romanians not finishing a job properly.
    If we're not allowed to joke about the chinese, surely we shouldn't be able to joke about any nation...

From your resident poster with an italian Romanian father.

It's a Big Issue for me to see such piss taking.
    I'm with you Dazzler, all jokes should be banned.
    Life is very serious and it's about time everyone stopped joking, messing around and trying to have a bit of fun.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Interesting points raised by Dazzler and Covered End, so I thought I would check with the official body set up to monitor what jokes are allowed in 2019.

Politicians and inanimate objects. 
    EG. Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage are mandatory if you are a budding young Comedian. Supermarket trolleys, milk in sashets, Farting Jokes are still allowed but will be banned next year because of the rise of people with IBS. Swearing is fine as long as you have your membership card of the Tourettes Society. 
    No jokes on folk who have glasses, false teeth, halitosis, obesity and suffer with small penis syndrome. That rules out jokes on Palace, Millwall, West Ham and Chelsea.

Is that you or is it your brother.
    RIP