Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holidays 2019

Comments

• No it was wowcher 3nights in each 
    think it was £799 pp. but it’s cost a lot more as we’ve had to do transfers ourself andvit was by train from Niagara Falls to New York which is twelve hours wasting a day so we have booked a flight from buffalo Niagara to New York. They also had offer for 2 nights for £699 but don’t think threats long enough with all traveling. 

• edited February 2019
    No it was wowcher 3nights in each 
    think it was £799 pp. but it’s cost a lot more as we’ve had to do transfers ourself andvit was by train from Niagara Falls to New York which is twelve hours wasting a day so we have booked a flight from buffalo Niagara to New York. They also had offer for 2 nights for £699 but don’t think threats long enough with all traveling. 

You done Niagara Falls before mate? You going to be based on the Canadian or American side?
  • No never. Canadian side only thing no boat trips this time of year booked helicopter ride over falls but it’s weather permitting.and it’s freezing at moment any other suggestions what to do where to go.
  • Off to Muscat, Oman in 2 weeks for 5 days of sun. Great place, peaceful, very sunny, wonderful people. Then La Manga for golf in May, South West France in June and Berlin in October to see Alice Cooper.
    Muscat is a great shout Herts. Oman is such an underrated country; beautiful coastline, lovely hotels, great culture and the people are wonderful. I spent 4 months there with the RAF 10 years ago. Not been back since but I am currently in the Middle-East and a 'visa refresh' trip there in the very near future will definitely happen. Been going to Abu Dhabi and Dubai a fair bit when I need to refresh my work visa, not a touch on Oman at all though.

Have you been to the 'interior' and to the original capital, Nizwah? Well worth a day trip if you ever get the opportunity. What hotel do you use in Muscat? 

Stay at the Crowne Plaza with a sea view room. To be honest, we go there just to relax post Christmas and usually stay around the pool or local beach. Been into the Old Town and the Souk. Love the place and the people. Done Dubai and Abu and find them far to "loud" and crazy and far too busy. Great part of the world though.

• Hoping to take the boat to Morocco from southern Spain around Easter and visit a few of the places in Northern Morocco, and planning a trip from Vienna to Montenegro in summer via Hungary, Croatia and Serbia.
    Fez is an interesting place.
  • edited February 2019
    Off to Muscat, Oman in 2 weeks for 5 days of sun. Great place, peaceful, very sunny, wonderful people. Then La Manga for golf in May, South West France in June and Berlin in October to see Alice Cooper.
    Muscat is a great shout Herts. Oman is such an underrated country; beautiful coastline, lovely hotels, great culture and the people are wonderful. I spent 4 months there with the RAF 10 years ago. Not been back since but I am currently in the Middle-East and a 'visa refresh' trip there in the very near future will definitely happen. Been going to Abu Dhabi and Dubai a fair bit when I need to refresh my work visa, not a touch on Oman at all though.

Have you been to the 'interior' and to the original capital, Nizwah? Well worth a day trip if you ever get the opportunity. What hotel do you use in Muscat? 
    Off to Muscat, Oman in 2 weeks for 5 days of sun. Great place, peaceful, very sunny, wonderful people. Then La Manga for golf in May, South West France in June and Berlin in October to see Alice Cooper.

Agree with that really liked Oman....went back in 2009. We hired a car and went to Nizwah, spent 4 nights in Muttrah (Muscat is walking distance from here) then spent 5 nights down the coast at hotel Waha, which was very nice.
  • Can anyone recommend a location abroad to take our 4 month old daughter too? We are looking to go in May time so she will be 6 months ish.  
  • robroy said:
    Can anyone recommend a location abroad to take our 4 month old daughter too? We are looking to go in May time so she will be 6 months ish.  
    To minimize flight times, I would only look at The Balearics / or Costas with such a littlun.

Maybe somewhere with a nice promenade for walking along with pushchair?
    Benalmdena/Torremolinos on mainland or C'an Picafort on Majorca perhaps
  • We've now booked a week all inclusive in Marmaris for early September. I haven't been to Turkey for about 6 years so looking forward to this. First time to Marmaris too.
    We took the grandkids to Marmaris last year and had a great time. 
    Plenty of decent bars and restaurants and all very cheap. 
    Most bars have a board up outside offering a much better exchange rate got your money than you will get in England or any hotel or bank in Turkey .
    Worth remembering 

Thanks for the tip. We were in Greece last June and they were offering a much lower rate out there
    That's true. 
    I went to Corfu a couple of years ago and the exchange rate there was poor .
    But I have been to Turkey three times in the last six years and got a much better rate over there than back in England. 
    Enjoy your holiday mate .
  • No never. Canadian side only thing no boat trips this time of year booked helicopter ride over falls but it’s weather permitting.and it’s freezing at moment any other suggestions what to do where to go.
    Canadian side the better side mate for views of both falls. A shame about the boats, but understandable at this time of year. I'm not sure what 'attractions' will be open this time of year in all honesty, but the Falls alone will hopefully be enough. 

There's a visitor centre along the front, above the Horseshoe Falls; it has a few indoor attractions. If the walk behind the Falls is open you need to do that. Restaurant wise, there's a wonderful Italian (Zappi's Pizza and Pasta) on Stanley Avenue, just up behind the Radisson and Marriott hotels. 

Highly recommend half a day in Niagara-on-the-Lake. It's a small, picturesque town, about 30 minutes away from the Falls. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Stuck at work the start of February half term and it costs loads to go anywhere late booking. Have now three nights in Gibraltar, staying on a small yacht which was cheaper than a hotel:

Two decent bedrooms for the price of less than one and the owners going to take us out on the yacht round the rock tomorrow and then weather permitting to Spain on Saturday (admittedly for a few extra pounds moving the boat.) 

• Cheers baz yes the walk behind the falls is on and was looking at Ontario on the lake.what would you suggest to get there. Taxi or is there’s bus.
  • Cheers baz yes the walk behind the falls is on and was looking at Ontario on the lake.what would you suggest to get there. Taxi or is there’s bus.
    There is a regular bus service to Niagara-on-the-Lake mate from the 'downtown' Niagara Falls area I think, not sure how the winter months will affect that service though? I had a hire car so didn't use public transport. The Visitor Centre will help you with all that. Taxi is an option, again though, I'm not sure how much that would cost? 
  • Ok great cheers baz
  • edited May 2019
    heading out to barcelona in a couple of weeks we are staying v close to the sagrada familia, we wont be landing until 11pm what is best way to the city centre and on to the metro system or is it best to just take a taxi?

also any other other shouts of stuff to do places to eat etc? thanks in advance 
  • I'd get a cab.

We booked one throughtthese before we left for Barcelona in october.

https://www.welcomepickups.com

Price was reasonable and service was good.
  • heading out to barcelona in a couple of weeks we are staying v close to the sagrada familia, we wont be landing until 11pm what is best way to the city centre and on to the metro system or is it best to just take a taxi?

The train/metro system is more than decent there.  Only thing is, I'm not sure how late it stays open.
    Uber is in operation in Barcelona and is a damn site cheaper than the local Taxis.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    heading out to barcelona in a couple of weeks we are staying v close to the sagrada familia, we wont be landing until 11pm what is best way to the city centre and on to the metro system or is it best to just take a taxi?

The train/metro system is more than decent there.  Only thing is, I'm not sure how late it stays open.
    Uber is in operation in Barcelona and is a damn site cheaper than the local Taxis.
    will be a cab as last train runs at 23.02 and we aren't scheduled to land until 23.10 and with it being easyjey that will likely be delayed. 
  • The metro system is excellent if it's open.
  • Going up to Inverness in the summer - a beautiful part of Britain. 
  • Sponsored links:

• heading out to barcelona in a couple of weeks we are staying v close to the sagrada familia, we wont be landing until 11pm what is best way to the city centre and on to the metro system or is it best to just take a taxi?

As I have mentioned before, the hop on hop off buses are well worth the ride with earphone commentaries. There ware three different routes when I went, one of them stopping at the Camp Nou, if you are interested
  • I also recommend the metro. We got weekend tickets and travelled all over the city.

Might be a bit of a ball ache at the times you're arriving. But once your there well worth it
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Dont think they're Uber mate. The cabbies hounded them out. I had a chat with one of them. Said our black cabs should stand up to them

I believe there is something similar like the firm I used above.
    However, They are also run and use the same that cabbies you hail in the street. You just pay a cheaper rate if you pre book.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

will be a cab as last train runs at 23.02 and we aren't scheduled to land until 23.10 and with it being easyjey that will likely be delayed. 
    Cab mate at that time. Metro is decent though for other times. Hop on/off bus great way to see all the sites. Ended up in some decent clubs till the morning each time I’ve been.

Great city - Got my 4th trip there in a few weeks.
  • In Tobago now - beautuful island and lovely people. Will be turtle watching tonight on the beach.
  • Barca is tops - bars-restaurants: beach - great place. In the top 3 cities in the world for me
  • Hoping for a few days in London at end of May ... a visit to Wembley on 28th would be a nice bonus.
  • Hoping for a few days in London at end of May ... a visit to Wembley on 28th would be a nice bonus.
    26th!!
  • Was in Morroco a couple of weeks ago. Took the boat from Tarifa in the south of Spain to Tangier (only 35 minutes) and spent some time in the stunning town of Chefchaouen as well as really enjoying Tangier. Amazing food, really friendly people and all surprisingly hassle free -well recommended.
  • Did the Maldives in January. Yes, picture postcard beautiful and all that, with exceptional All Inclusive, but much too quiet for me. Great if you like lazing around on the beach all day or snorkelling, but I need more to get my teeth into.

Off to Skiathos in the summer, simply wonderful Greek island. Not too big, wonderful tavernas on secluded beaches, and Skiathos town is very nice. Use a quad bike to get about all over the island and usually take one of the numerous boat trips to one of the other islands nearby. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!