Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Top 5 - the run ins...

Thought it would be worth looking at the remaining fixtures for the top five clubs.

Will we be able to catch Sunderland or Portsmouth and secure a play off second leg at home? Of the top five teams, we have the easiest stretch of games to end the season if looking at league positions.

Sunderland have a number of tough home games but also have game(s) in hand on the rest of the pack.

Charlton:
Bradford (24th) (H)
Plymouth (14th) (A)
Wycombe (16th) (A)
Luton (1st) (H)
Oxford (13th) (A)
Scunthorpe (18th) (H)
Gillingham (12th) (A)
Rochdale (22nd) (H)
Avg position of home opponents: 16th
Avg position of away opponents: 14th

Sunderland:
Burton (10th) (H)
Accrington (17th) (A)
Rochdale (22nd) (A)
Coventry (9th) (H)
Doncaster (7th) (H)
Peterborough (6th) (A)
Portsmouth (3rd) (H)
Fleetwood (11th)(A)
Southend (20th) (A)
Avg position of home opponents: 7th
Avg position of away opponents: 15th

Portsmouth:
Peterborough (6th) (H)
Wycombe (16th) (A)
Rochdale (22nd) (H)
Burton (10th) (A)
Coventry (9th) (H)
Sunderland (4th) (A)
Accrington (17th) (H)
Avg position of home opponents: 14th
Avg position of away opponents: 10th

Barnsley:
Coventry (9th) (H)
Burton (10th) (A)
Fleetwood (11th) (H)
Shrewsbury (19th) (H)
Plymouth (14th) (A)
Blackpool (8th) (H)
Bristol Rovers (15th) (A)
Avg position of home opponents: 12th
Avg position of away opponents: 13th

Luton:
Bristol Rovers (15th) (A)
Blackpool (8th) (H)
Charlton (5th) (A) 
Accrington (17th) (A)
AFC Wimbledon (23rd) (H)
Burton (10th) (A)
Oxford (13th) (H)
Avg position of home opponents: 15th
Avg position of away opponents: 12th

Comments

• Anyone feeling brave enough to pick the results of all 36 games and give their final league table?
  • Too much effort but top 5 positiona to stay as they are.
  • Top two look home and hosed. The play-offs are a lottery irresoective of where you finish. Bowyer was right to call out this week the impact of losing Grant and not replacing him. A real automatic chance thrown away. I think that will slso hobble our 0lay-off chances. Duchatet is a leech sucking the life out of this club in a vain attempt to avoid an embarrassing financial loss when he eventuslly sells up.
  • Charlton:
    Bradford (24th) (H) - W
    Plymouth (14th) (A) - D
    Wycombe (16th) (A) - W
    Luton (1st) (H) - D
    Oxford (13th) (A) - W
    Scunthorpe (18th) (H) - W
    Gillingham (12th) (A) - L
    Rochdale (22nd) (H) -W

POINTS GAINED - 17

Sunderland:
    Burton (10th) (H) - W
    Accrington (17th) (A) -W
    Rochdale (22nd) (A) -W
    Coventry (9th) (H) -W
    Doncaster (7th) (H) - D
    Peterborough (6th) (A) -L
    Portsmouth (3rd) (H) -D
    Fleetwood (11th)(A) -D
    Southend (20th) (A) -W

POINTS GAINED - 18

Portsmouth:
    Peterborough (6th) (H) - D
    Wycombe (16th) (A) - W
    Rochdale (22nd) (H) - W
    Burton (10th) (A) - D
    Coventry (9th) (H) - W
    Sunderland (4th) (A) -D
    Accrington (17th) (H) -W

POINTS GAINED - 15

Barnsley:
    Coventry (9th) (H) - W
    Burton (10th) (A) - D
    Fleetwood (11th) (H) -W
    Shrewsbury (19th) (H) -W
    Plymouth (14th) (A) -D
    Blackpool (8th) (H) - W
    Bristol Rovers (15th) (A) - D

POINTS GAINED - 15

Luton:
    Bristol Rovers (15th) (A) - W
    Blackpool (8th) (H) - W
    Charlton (5th) (A)  - D
    Accrington (17th) (A) - W 
    AFC Wimbledon (23rd) (H) - W
    Burton (10th) (A) -D
    Oxford (13th) (H) -W

POINTS GAINED - 17

FINAL LEAGUE PLACES ACCORDING TO THE ABOVE-:

1 - Luton - 100
    2 - Barnsley - 93
    3 - Sunderland - 91
    4 - Portsmouth - 89
    5 - Charlton - 84

Its early Sunday morning so there could well be mistakes in the above calculations.

• Charlton:
    Bradford (24th) (H) - W
    Plymouth (14th) (A) - D
    Wycombe (16th) (A) - W
    Luton (1st) (H) - D
    Oxford (13th) (A) - W
    Rochdale (22nd) (H) -W

POINTS GAINED - 17

Sunderland:
    Burton (10th) (H) - W
    Accrington (17th) (A) -W
    Rochdale (22nd) (A) -W
    Coventry (9th) (H) -W
    Doncaster (7th) (H) - D
    Portsmouth (3rd) (H) -D
    Fleetwood (11th)(A) -D
    Southend (20th) (A) -W

POINTS GAINED - 18

Portsmouth:
    Wycombe (16th) (A) - W
    Rochdale (22nd) (H) - W
    Burton (10th) (A) - D
    Coventry (9th) (H) - W
    Sunderland (4th) (A) -D
    Accrington (17th) (H) -W

POINTS GAINED - 15

Barnsley:
    Coventry (9th) (H) - W
    Burton (10th) (A) - D
    Fleetwood (11th) (H) -W
    Shrewsbury (19th) (H) -W
    Plymouth (14th) (A) -D
    Blackpool (8th) (H) - W

POINTS GAINED - 15

Luton:
    Blackpool (8th) (H) - W
    Charlton (5th) (A)  - D
    Burton (10th) (A) -D
    Oxford (13th) (H) -W

POINTS GAINED - 17

1 - Luton - 100
    2 - Barnsley - 93
    3 - Sunderland - 91
    4 - Portsmouth - 89
    5 - Charlton - 84

Its early Sunday morning so there could well be mistakes in the above calculations.

Charlton:
    Bradford (24th) (H) - W
    Plymouth (14th) (A) - D
    Wycombe (16th) (A) - W
    Luton (1st) (H) - D
    Oxford (13th) (A) - W
    Rochdale (22nd) (H) -W

POINTS GAINED - 17

Sunderland:
    Burton (10th) (H) - W
    Accrington (17th) (A) -W
    Rochdale (22nd) (A) -W
    Coventry (9th) (H) -W
    Doncaster (7th) (H) - D
    Portsmouth (3rd) (H) -D
    Fleetwood (11th)(A) -D
    Southend (20th) (A) -W

POINTS GAINED - 18

Portsmouth:
    Wycombe (16th) (A) - W
    Rochdale (22nd) (H) - W
    Burton (10th) (A) - D
    Coventry (9th) (H) - W
    Sunderland (4th) (A) -D
    Accrington (17th) (H) -W

POINTS GAINED - 15

Barnsley:
    Coventry (9th) (H) - W
    Burton (10th) (A) - D
    Fleetwood (11th) (H) -W
    Shrewsbury (19th) (H) -W
    Plymouth (14th) (A) -D
    Blackpool (8th) (H) - W

POINTS GAINED - 15

Luton:
    Blackpool (8th) (H) - W
    Charlton (5th) (A)  - D
    Burton (10th) (A) -D
    Oxford (13th) (H) -W

POINTS GAINED - 17

1 - Luton - 100
    2 - Barnsley - 93
    3 - Sunderland - 91
    4 - Portsmouth - 89
    5 - Charlton - 84

No idea what games each team will win but pretty certain the table will end up as above, or with Sunderland ahead of Barnsley. Would put money on us finishing 5th......maybe 4th, but will def be playing Pompey over 2 legs.
  • Not going to predict every game but my sense at the moment is that Sunderland will overtake Barnsley and we will finish where we are now in fifth. As to who gets sixth, who knows?  Donny in free fall. Peterborough might pick up or Blackpool could make it on a post Oyston glory rush. 
  • Of the top five teams only Portsmouth have lost a game in their last five matches and that was to us. The consistency of the top five is starting to show. Drop below fifth to Peterborough and you start to see patchy form and sixth place is very much up for grabs. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/table
  • Of the top five teams only Portsmouth have lost a game in their last five matches and that was to us. The consistency of the top five is starting to show. Drop below fifth to Peterborough and you start to see patchy form and sixth place is very much up for grabs. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/table
    This. The top 5 are all in great form and it does not matter who we play in them - they are going to be difficult. 
  • I would be happy if Sunderland overtake Barnsley as I feel they are losing their edge. I watched the draw at Doncaster and they should have lost and likewise yesterday against Walsall. They didn't but they have gone down a few notches after losing players.
  • The superstitious part of me wants to avoid Sunderland particularly should it be at Wembley. They owe us and it worries me.
  • Sponsored links:

• The superstitious part of me wants to avoid Sunderland particularly should it be at Wembley. They owe us and it worries me.
    Haha... now that you mentioned it. I would love a playoff final at Wembley against Sunderland😆 That classic game took place years before I started to support us so it'd be fantastic to see it happen now although it'd never be the same. I have got a few Sunderland supporting friends across China (thanks to the Internet) and I also followed them in the 2015-16 season so playing them in the final would be extra special for me.😄
  • edited March 2019
    Can’t believe I’m looking at this table and thinking Barnsley are catchable. Win our game in hand and we are six behind with six to play.
  • Burton away next for Barnsley, stranger things have happened.
  • I really want us to face Barnsley in the play offs and them finishing 5th isn't out of the question either as they've got injuries mounting up like we did earlier in the season.

I'm not sure the top two is in reach but out of the teams above us the way I see it is
    Luton - home and hosed as champions
    Barnsley - not the same as they were, injuries have kicked in
    Portsmouth - already beaten them twice, so they will probably beat us over two legs or at Wembley just down to sods law.
    Sunderland - would beat us over two legs or Wembley just because of 1998

I fancy us to beat whoever finishes in 6th though if they got to Wembley but i'd certainly rather us play Barnsley over two legs. Probably Portsmouth next if we can take a lead to Fratton Park and hold out down there. Sunderland I don't see us beating whichever way so would prefer them to make 2nd place.
  • The Top 5 are all grinding out results. Pompey have won 3 in a row, it's not impossible that they could catch Barnsley

I expect Luton to be champions, and us to be 5th, but the other places are up for grabs. Burton's next 2 matches are against Barnsley and Sunderland, and then after Scunthorpe they play Pompey!
  • Luton and sunderland will go up.  Pompey and Barnsley could finish either way.  Us 5th, stopped looking below so no idea on 6th.

• Interesting how Burton have all of the others still to play. All of Luton, Barnsley, and Portsmouth all travel to Burton whilst Sunderland play Burton at home in their next league fixture.

Tough run in that is for Burton, they also play Peterborough last day of the season, but they could have a huge say in who finishes where. 
  • edited March 2019
    I don't look at results, I look at how teams are playing. Barnsley have gone down a few notches evidenced by their games against Doncaster and Walsall. They got 4 points from those two but should have got nothing. They drew at home to Coventry yesterday. They have had some injury blows and it is clear to me they have hit the wall.

Sunderland are favourites for me to come second. Run ins suggest 91 points would give us a good chance, but we don't score enough goals to win our six remaining games. It is the same sort of thing as looking at Barnsley. We haven't hit a wall  and defensively we are as good as anybody at the moment, but we completely outplayed Pompey and could have got a draw - we just need a bit too much offensive luck to sweep every side we play aside.

• Sunderland now have a run of 9 games in 34 days where they’re away from home in 5 of them. Wednesday, Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Friday, Monday, Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday to be exact.

They’re definitely going to drop some points in that lot of fixtures. Lots of travelling, no real time to train, all recovery and light sessions.

They’ve also drawn 1-1 an astonishing 13 times this season in all competitions, 12 of them in the league.

By that I would say Sunderland will pick up about 15 points meaning they finish on 88. Probably in third.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great to great to see the draw and pens at Wembley today. That should help take it out of Pompey and Sunderland, for next games. I'm hoping that we can pinch third spot and pay out on my each way bets to win the leauge. 
  • Great to great to see the draw and pens at Wembley today. That should help take it out of Pompey and Sunderland, for next games. I'm hoping that we can pinch third spot and pay out on my each way bets to win the leauge. 
    Hopefully it means Sunderland won’t have much confidence going into the penalty shootout against us in the play off final😉
  • edited April 2019
    Not a cup I have any desire for us to win. Not sure Sunderland will be that disapointed. They have Accrington and Rochdale next. If they win those, they will have sight of a more valuable goal. If they drop points, it will be interesting but I am not expecting them to.

If you want to understand why Sunderland have drawn so many, watch that game though. They are a sit back when we are ahead team. Would love to play them in Play offs if they don't get automatic.
  • Not a cup I have any desire for us to win. Not sure Sunderland will be that disapointed. They have Accrington and Rochdale next. If they win those, they will have sight of a more valuable goal. If they drop points, it will be interesting but I am not expecting them to.
    im sure the 40k plus that have just shelled out for a weekend in london and taking over trafalgar sqaure are dissapointed - shame as i wanted this cup to be a flop so we can expel it from our fixture list. 
  • et and pens for pompey and sunderland is great - games in hand at this stage of the season can be a pain as it is v hard to keep that level on intensity up all we can do is keep winning our games and hope results are kind to us, would take anyone in playoffs. 
  • Not a cup I have any desire for us to win. Not sure Sunderland will be that disapointed. They have Accrington and Rochdale next. If they win those, they will have sight of a more valuable goal. If they drop points, it will be interesting but I am not expecting them to.
    im sure the 40k plus that have just shelled out for a weekend in london and taking over trafalgar sqaure are dissapointed - shame as i wanted this cup to be a flop so we can expel it from our fixture list. 
    They would have been disapointed in the moment, then realised that the next game they have is far more important. If you asked those 40k fans whether they would swap victory in that game for their next one, I bet you wouldn't get many takers.
    Hopefully it means Sunderland won’t have much confidence going into the penalty shootout against us in the play off final😉

That's what's worrying me. They are the one team I don't want to face IF we get to Wembley - they can't lose three Wembley finals on the trot, surely?
  • I can't see us making automatic, too many things have to go our way,  but you never know. I'm not too bothered about us scoring enough, we're pretty good defensively and can beat teams by the odd goal - just ask pompey. Would take anyone in the playoffs, we have Lee Bowyer at the helm after all! BTW didnt Huddersfield win the playoffs without scoring a goal the other year? An own goal in the semi and pens in the final? A good defence goes a long way over three tough games.
    There's nothing wrong with having a cup for L1 and L2 teams, it's the introduction of the academy sides which has corrupted it. 
    1.) should of read in current format 
    2.) championship clubs don't play in it :wink: