Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

After Life - Ricky Gervais

Anyone else watched this on Netflix? Just binged the whole series and thought it was excellent. His best show for while imo.

Comments

• Absolutely loved it, brilliant writing and great use of the C word. A lot of laughter and tears in equal measure. 

• Superb.
  • Was off sick on Thursday & Friday - finally got round to watching Derek & followed it up with afterlife, both absolutely fantastic 
  • I just can't believe in him as an actor, especially when he's doing the non-comedic half of what he's written. I think Mackenzie Crook blows him out of the water as a writer/director. But millions of people disagree with me, so maybe I'm in the wrong. And I'll still watch everything he puts out, out of respect for The Office.
  • edited March 2019
    I just can't believe in him as an actor, especially when he's doing the non-comedic half of what he's written. I think Mackenzie Crook blows him out of the water as a writer/director. But millions of people disagree with me, so maybe I'm in the wrong. And I'll still watch everything he puts out, out of respect for The Office.
    Feel your pain.
     In a couple of weeks, if I decide to watch it, I'm no doubt about to slate the latest Line of duty offering whilst all those around me are worshiping the TV's it's shown on!
  • Haven't watched it yet, looking forward to it. 
  • Absolutely loved it, brilliant writing and great use of the C word. A lot of laughter and tears in equal measure. 

I really hate the growing use of the C word on TV and in the two episodes I’ve seen of this I’ve thought it was completely unecessary. Seems very cool now with new programmes to just chuck it in there for the sake of it.

im getting old
    EFA
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2019
    It’s okay. Watched a couple of episodes. Filled with cliches and not really anything new. Nowhere near the game changer like the office, and, to a lesser extent, extras was.
  • Watched episode 1, won't watch anymore. Crap.
  • edited March 2019
    Riviera said:
    Watched episode 1, won't watch anymore. Crap.
    Edgy

In all seriousness I thought it was quality was cracking up most the time. Binged it in a day 
  • Very good.

A lot of the script - either stories, lines or beliefs of various characters were things I'd heard from his podcast. Must have been at least 6/7 references in each episode which was funny to see and hear them again

• Very good.

A lot of the script - either stories, lines or beliefs of various characters were things I'd heard from his podcast. Must have been at least 6/7 references in each episode which was funny to see and hear them again

I noticed that too and while it was nice to give a nod to his podcasts etc. I thought it was also lazy writing. Great series though as is almost everything he does.
  • Just a side-note to this, the puppy dog used in this programme is one of mine. The show was filmed at Pinewood studios and when Mrs RM took the pup down for filming she was waiting outside the 'stage' giving the pup a break when she was stopped by Angelina Jolie (sp) who wanted to know about and cuddle him. She spent about 10 mins chatting to Mrs RM. Ricky Gervais was also really nice and made a big fuss of the pup on and off set.
    I've tried to get the next 'gig' down at Pinewood when we have to take another of our dogs....only to be told "no way you're going down there" ......can't think why!!!
    Funny, but when I watched it, I did wonder for a moment whether you’d had anything to do with it. (Wasn’t one of your dogs in a Jim Carrey film at one point?)
    Also, I didn’t think about the puppy scene, just the main dog, but assumed not as it doesn’t look like any of the ones I’ve seen on here of yours.

• edited March 2019
    Just a side-note to this, the puppy dog used in this programme is one of mine. The show was filmed at Pinewood studios and when Mrs RM took the pup down for filming she was waiting outside the 'stage' giving the pup a break when she was stopped by Angelina Jolie (sp) who wanted to know about and cuddle him. She spent about 10 mins chatting to Mrs RM. Ricky Gervais was also really nice and made a big fuss of the pup on and off set.
    I've tried to get the next 'gig' down at Pinewood when we have to take another of our dogs....only to be told "no way you're going down there" ......can't think why!!!
    Funny, but when I watched it, I did wonder for a moment whether you’d had anything to do with it. (Wasn’t one of your dogs in a Jim Carrey film at one point?)
    Also, I didn’t think about the puppy scene, just the main dog, but assumed not as it doesn’t look like any of the ones I’ve seen on here of yours.

Hi @lordromford Yes, one of our dogs starred with Jim Carrey in Kick Ass 2. The pup, (in After-Life) was born and bred in our house and we were asked if he would be available to appear in the show. The pup then grows into the adult dog shown who is known to Mrs RM and I. We have been asked to provide another one of our dogs for a future TV/Film being shot at Pinewood in the near future. He is our sable working GSD, not sure of any details as yet, but on all of these we are sworn to secrecy until 'previews' come out. The dog who appeared in Kick Ass 2 is also in The Man from U.N.C.L.E

EDIT - Meant to add he was only 8 weeks old when it was filmed (the pup not the mental age of RG!!!) LOL
  • Just a side-note to this, the puppy dog used in this programme is one of mine. The show was filmed at Pinewood studios and when Mrs RM took the pup down for filming she was waiting outside the 'stage' giving the pup a break when she was stopped by Angelina Jolie (sp) who wanted to know about and cuddle him. She spent about 10 mins chatting to Mrs RM. Ricky Gervais was also really nice and made a big fuss of the pup on and off set.

Hi @lordromford Yes, one of our dogs starred with Jim Carrey in Kick Ass 2. The pup, (in After-Life) was born and bred in our house and we were asked if he would be available to appear in the show. The pup then grows into the adult dog shown who is known to Mrs RM and I. We have been asked to provide another one of our dogs for a future TV/Film being shot at Pinewood in the near future. He is our sable working GSD, not sure of any details as yet, but on all of these we are sworn to secrecy until 'previews' come out. The dog who appeared in Kick Ass 2 is also in The Man from U.N.C.L.E
    That must be so satisfying for you that your reputation and expertise at dog handling is appreciated to the extent that you are sought out to provide dogs for such work.
    Kudos to you.

That must be so satisfying for you that your reputation and expertise at dog handling is appreciated to the extent that you are sought out to provide dogs for such work.
    Kudos to you.
    Very kind of you to say that @lordromford, however I cant claim any of the credit, it is all down to Mrs RM, she is the one working with the dogs, I just go to work.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just watch first two episodes. Really very good indeed. Quite an emotional watch. 
    Good to see so many familiar faces in support too. Including ‘Philomena Cunk’ I think?
    I think there’s a thread for dog pictures somewhere mate (if you like that type of thing) 😉
  • edited March 2019
    “For the bread I use my own....”

I thought I was having a heart attack for a minute. 

One of the the funniest scenes ever. Maybe not everyones’s cup of tea though. 

Saw a comment above about cliches. Certainly one or two stereotypes in there, eg the tart with the heart of gold. And like AFKA, not a fan of the C word on TV - bit cringey  when there are kids around.

• Watched the entire series.  Whilst there were plenty of laughs, it was far more emotional than I'd anticipated.  I thought the balance of outlandish behaviour and sentimentality was handled really well, and the final two episodes were shorter on laughs but had some really nice tender moments.  
  • Riviera said:
    The irony is that , that sentence could almost come straight out of the depressed version of Tony’s , mouth . 
    Not actually sure you know what irony means but by all means keep editing your post.  Anyway I put my thoughts on this rubbish on the New TV Series thread. Really don't see why it needed it's own thread. Gervais needs to try and come up with a different format. His shock/outrage humour has been done time and again, chiefly by himself but always better by Larry David. 
  • edited March 2019
    Riviera said:
    Riviera said:
    The irony is that , that sentence could almost come straight out of the depressed version of Tony’s , mouth . 
    Not actually sure you know what irony means but by all means keep editing your post.  Anyway I put my thoughts on this rubbish on the New TV Series thread. Really don't see why it needed it's own thread. Gervais needs to try and come up with a different format. His shock/outrage humour has been done time and again, chiefly by himself but always better by Larry David. 
    Riviera said:
    Riviera said:
  • I am old enough to remember when dropping the c-bomb on TV was simply unthinkable, you could only just get away with the f-bomb after 10PM but the c-bomb was just a complete no-no, even in the movies if I recall correctly.

Now I hear the c-bomb on TV quite regularly and it's not something I really think should be going on, just no real need for it.
  • Its weird people keep mentioning the C Bomb on here

Now I watched the whole series and I dont remember hearing Crystal Palace mentioned once