Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post match views: Charlton v Southend

Comments

• Redrobo said:
    I thought we had a stonewall penalty at the end, but ref gave it the other way.
    Nah Parker was backing into their player

Never a penalty
    When it happened I couldn't really tell. I was hoping it would go our way but the gave it the other way. Nooooooooooooooo! But hey ho. Two injury time penalties in two home games. Unlikely to happen. We move on.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Time wasting tactics, slowing the game down, injury feigning, are part of the game.
    But if you were head of marketing football you’d say it damages the product. If I paid £20 odd quid for that as a neutral I wouldn’t be back. For how much of the 90 minutes was the ball in play. 60 minutes?
    They need to do something about it. 
    Would any neutral pay £20 to watch Charlton v Southend? 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Time wasting tactics, slowing the game down, injury feigning, are part of the game.
    But if you were head of marketing football you’d say it damages the product. If I paid £20 odd quid for that as a neutral I wouldn’t be back. For how much of the 90 minutes was the ball in play. 60 minutes?
    Good point. 
  • JamesSeed said:

Many neutrals will spend just £5 to watch Charlton v Blackpool next Saturday
  • It has all been said on here really. Not too much to add but regarding Fosu I’ve never been convinced with the hype around him so not surprised about his level of play. He had one freakish game for us against Fleetwood last season but apart from that he has flattered to deceive. Before coming to us he was loaned out from Reading numerous times and never seemed to consistently perform above L2 level. That was a red flag for me when he joined us. It would help if he could stay on his feet!! I can’t really remember any meaningful possession he had with the ball today that didn’t end up with him ending up on the ground. He is a weak L1 level midfielder in my opinion, but he does flatter to deceive. 

So, we desperately miss Taylor. I thought Parker did well when he came on. RHF looked very weak again. I thought Marshall did ok. Agreed his final ball was suspect but he created a lot of space for himself. He had more impact than Fosu. We were never going to win many heading battles out there today with Igor and Marshall leading the line. 

I thought Sarr was immense. Cullen, Reeves & Bielik also played well. I don’t think Phillips had a good game. I could see Bows replacing him in the next game. 

Basically it was in the final third that we were severely lacking as has been the case in the last 3 or 4 games. 

So, another bad day at the office. We really do miss Taylor. 

• JamesSeed said:
    Time wasting, slowing the game down ALL teams will do for the  last 20 minutes when hanging on to a narrow lead but we've seen more than one team doing it in the first half. As for feigning injury, definitely not part  of the game. It's just cheating.
  • Hold on Fosu last season was unplayable for plenty of games , he got 2 at Northampton away near to Easter and was one of our biggest threats .
    Can’t remember when he got injured but this season he has been a different player and is the crap one everyone is referring to .
    Maybe he is a bit of a Tony Watt who was unplayable in the early part of his Charlton career .
    So there is a player in there but can we find him again a bit like Vetokele , I suppose they’ve all got Charltonised ! 
    Vetokele was never the same after the Achilles injury. Time to retire
  • Rob said:
    It has all been said on here really. Not too much to add but regarding Fosu I’ve never been convinced with the hype around him so not surprised about his level of play. He had one freakish game for us against Fleetwood last season but apart from that he has flattered to deceive. Before coming to us he was loaned out from Reading numerous times and never seemed to consistently perform above L2 level. That was a red flag for me when he joined us. It would help if he could stay on his feet!! I can’t really remember any meaningful possession he had with the ball today that didn’t end up with him ending up on the ground. He is a weak L1 level midfielder in my opinion, but he does flatter to deceive. 

So, we desperately miss Taylor. I thought Parker did well when he came on. RHF looked very weak again. I thought Marshall did ok. Agreed his final ball was suspect but he created a lot of space for himself. He had more impact than Fosu. We were never going to win many heading battles out there today with Igor and Marshall leading the line. 

I thought Sarr was immense. Cullen, Reeves & Bielik also played well. I don’t think Phillips had a good game. I could see Bows replacing him in the next game. 

Basically it was in the final third that we were severely lacking as has been the case in the last 3 or 4 games. 

What exactly did Phillips do wrong? I must be missing something.
  • Sponsored links:

• There was a horrendous hesitation that almost went punished, but he was alright once that was out of his system
  • Leuth said:
    There was a horrendous hesitation that almost went punished, but he was alright once that was out of his system
    That was as much Bielik's fault. I thought he should have headed the ball back to Phillips.
  • edited February 2019
    Rob said:
    It has all been said on here really. Not too much to add but regarding Fosu I’ve never been convinced with the hype around him so not surprised about his level of play. He had one freakish game for us against Fleetwood last season but apart from that he has flattered to deceive. Before coming to us he was loaned out from Reading numerous times and never seemed to consistently perform above L2 level. That was a red flag for me when he joined us. It would help if he could stay on his feet!! I can’t really remember any meaningful possession he had with the ball today that didn’t end up with him ending up on the ground. He is a weak L1 level midfielder in my opinion, but he does flatter to deceive. 

What exactly did Phillips do wrong? I must be missing something.
    Phillips kicked one ball into the crowd and didn't come off his line to collect a ball !

The fact he stopped us being mugged at the end was forgotten.

I said at the time after being eccellent since coming in for Jed Steer some comedians will be calling for his head. I wonder if it's an anti academy player issue. So many of our  young players get stick when they get into the side. Even a month ago a CL regular was saying Grant should be dropped for missing too many chances. Pope wasn't rated by many Charlton fans, Harriott (who didn't have a football brain) and  Fox. 

Remember Frank Lampard getting stick in a friendly against cafc when he was a teen by the moronic hammer fans so it's not just a Cafc problem.

I don't think it's an anti academy thing although it might be a counter reaction to those who think our home grown players players should be cut more slack and can't do as much wrong. Also we all have our favourites and sometimes it is difficult to see any faults readily in them, as the players' marks thread often highlights. Personally I try to be as honest as I can be but human nature plays it's part whether we like it or not.

Yesterday I thought Phillips did his job, no chance with the goal and earned us a point late on with a crucial stop. When he has a bad game though I'll say so and mark him down accordingly, opinions eh?
  • JamesSeed said:
    JS, thank the lord it's not NFL mate.............

Anyone who has ever tuned into an NFL broadcast knows that plenty of air time is spent showing players huddling, coaches yelling, and fans cheering. That's because while the on-field action can be exciting, it's usually short-lived. In fact, according to a 2010 Wall Street Journal study of four football broadcasts, the ball was only in play for an average of 10 minutes and 43 seconds — approximately 4 seconds per play — even though an NFL telecast lasts about three hours.
  • LB got it spot on switching up at HT however I don’t know why he took Reeves off, was one of our better players.

Pleaed with how Parker played, surprised me how good he is in the air and looked a clever player. Be good to see him with Taylor.

Marshall, one of the worse wingers I have ever seen. I know his cross set up reeves but if I was outwide and I have 15 crosses attempt, one of them would been decent, he does work hard but I can’t believe how much technique he lacks. Shame as he’s a nice guy and don’t really want to skate him but just got to be honest here.

Fosu is the opposite, has a lot of technique and can beat a man so easily, but his final ball today and decision making was dreadful, what hasn’t happened to him?

2 points dropped. Southend going to 10 men meant they wasn’t coming out to attack so killed the game.

Autos gone but we’ll get play offs but I think we need to be more optimistic. We all claim we have no chance in play offs as lack of striker options but last year we went in there with Magenis and Zyro and there was optimism even after the 1st leg that we’d get to the final but this year people are writing us off already despite having arguebly a stronger first 11 and Taylor. You never know Parker could come once he gets going with Taylor, could form a tidy striker partnership. 

Hsve faith, it’s not over yet. 

• Once again an inferior team has done a job on us,cynical fouls,time wasting,the means justifies the end.Only when the offcials start booking players for the first cynical foul and not give out meaningless warnings will this stop.If players want to go down and sit on the floor,ignore them,they will soon get up.I know Fosu was infuriating but from my view in the east stand,in the first half,their full back was pulling,kicking,and generally mauling him out of the game,the ref did nothing.Williams is a lucky boy,if his leg had been on the floor,and not slightly raised he  would have suffered a very severe injury from the red card tackle.
  • Starting front 2 was wrong - vetokole is not a target man, should have played him off rhfc, the nearest thing we have to one in taylor's absence. marshall showed why he hasn't been getting picked and to be fair, thats as poor as i've seen fosu play so probably also warrants why he hasn't been starting. parker looks good, looking forward to seeing him up top with taylor. midfield will be better once aribo back as he breaks the lines better with his rangey pace. sarr was brilliant , playing with confidence he is now using all his natural attributes and looks the business. overall not as bad a performance as some are suggesting but desperately need taylor back and for fosu and possibly marshall to actually deliver some quality when he does.play offs at best but parker was the bright spot of yesterday for me - looked pacey, hungry, good in the air and ready for the challenge of replacing, and possibly improving on, grant.   
  • Leuth said:
    There was a horrendous hesitation that almost went punished, but he was alright once that was out of his system
    That was as much Bielik's fault. I thought he should have headed the ball back to Phillips.
    Bielik shouldn’t have allowed it to bounce but Phillips was incredibly slow to react to the situation 
  • edited February 2019
    JamesSeed said:
    JS, thank the lord it's not NFL mate.............

Anyone who has ever tuned into an NFL broadcast knows that plenty of air time is spent showing players huddling, coaches yelling, and fans cheering. That's because while the on-field action can be exciting, it's usually short-lived. In fact, according to a 2010 Wall Street Journal study of four football broadcasts, the ball was only in play for an average of 10 minutes and 43 seconds — approximately 4 seconds per play — even though an NFL telecast lasts about three hours.
    Yes but that’s why I don’t like NFL, but quite like watching the highlights. And perhaps why ‘soccer’ is growing in the US at such a rate. Not sure the timewasting tactics are so widespread there. 
  • Sponsored links:

• wmcf123 said:
    Leuth said:
    Bielik shouldn’t have allowed it to bounce but Phillips was incredibly slow to react to the situation 
    Pretty minor mistake imho. Just watch MotD and you see goalkeeping blunders in most matches. Phillips possibly makes fewer than they do. 
  • Hold on Fosu last season was unplayable for plenty of games , he got 2 at Northampton away near to Easter and was one of our biggest threats .
    Can’t remember when he got injured but this season he has been a different player and is the crap one everyone is referring to .
    Maybe he is a bit of a Tony Watt who was unplayable in the early part of his Charlton career .
    So there is a player in there but can we find him again a bit like Vetokele , I suppose they’ve all got Charltonised ! 
    The fact that Reading were happy to let him go suggests that he was Charltonised before he joined us...

• Phillips certainly isn't being overwhelmed by the pressure of us having Maxwell. It seems to have inspired him if anything! I just hope Maxwell is being a model pro about it all (I'm sure he is, and I'm sure he didn't expect Phillips to be this good!)
    The fact that Reading were happy to let him go suggests that he was Charltonised before he joined us...

He was flavour of the month for quite a long time on the forum after he joined us. 
  • One thing I noticed a couple of times yesterday, was Parker getting a good header from the back post into the box - with no sign of Igor to put it away.

Reading weren't happy to let him go. He was out of contract and turned down their offer.

LB said early in the season that Fosu's head had been turned.

Regardless, he has been poor for a long while now.

Reading weren't happy to let him go. He was out of contract and turned down their offer.

LB said early in the season that Fosu's head had been turned.

Regardless, he has been poor for a long while now.
    He'd played 1 league game for them in 3 seasons, that doesn't sound like someone they especially rated. It's hardly comparable to us signing Ricky Holmes or Lyle Taylor on free transfers
  • One thing I noticed a couple of times yesterday, was Parker getting a good header from the back post into the box - with no sign of Igor to put it away.
    How many times did Igor even touch the ball in the second half?
  • I’d actually like to referee a game in league one. Yesterday would have been abandoned by half time as I’d have sent off about six of their players and one of ours.What annoyed me was the refs tolerance of the blatant time wasting. Several times he pointed to his watch but then allowed the keeper to carry on wasting time. He also indicated to several “injured” players that he felt they were feigning it but then failed to book them.  I reckon the ball was actually in play for about 20 mins in the second half. 
  • A fan of Bowyer but that starting eleven was a joke ( I know he doesn't have many options at the moment ) . Parker should have started as Vetokele is not fit . Marshall and Fosu were poor and don't get me started on RHF . Loved Sarr's performance, Cullen and Reeves worked hard . Southend keeper was MOM and felt like a loss not a draw . Taylor and Bauer back next week should see an improvement in form . Think we could still do top two  .