Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post match views: Charlton v Southend

124678

Comments

  • Leuth said:
    My favourite thing from today was that Reeves, after his headed goal, started winning loads of headers, it was freakish 
    Christ, you are easily entertained 
  • That is an uneasy peace, but I suppose it's a nice contribution 
  • edited February 9
    We're easily a top 6 side even without Grant.

    The midfielders have been used to putting Grant away and then pushing up to the edge of the box in support. Now they'll have to make a few off the ball runs into the box (like Reeves for the goal). 

    Igor found it hard today and 2nd half didn't seem to be jumping well for crosses but I want to see him up front with Taylor before I write him off (and he'll have benefited hugely from today's 95 mins).

    Fosu has never done it at home....not really. He needs to simplify his game; E.G. 1st half, he sold the full back but decided to take a 2nd man on. Tariq..... beat one then cross or shoot....youll be amazed at the results. 
  • edited February 9
    palace fan in peace. interesting comments on Williams. He has always been very very comfortable on the ball - great touch, great passer - and he can drift by people and create a bit of space. Challenge at palace was - among increasingly strong competition - I'm not sure he ever really had much end product or created things. He scored one goal - via a deflection - on around 75 games for us. Lovely little player to watch, and - with more confidence and more game time I'm sure he'll do well for you - but the lack of an attacking cutting edge to his game is I think what has held his career back. that and loads of bad luck with injuries
    Totally agree. If he had goals with his game he'd be top Championship as a minimum. 

    We're hoping that our two leaders, Bowyer and Jackson, will coach some goals into him (especially at this level). He's unlikely to get two better coaches to help with that part of his game. 
  • Frustrating game. A lot of sloppiness really, poor crosses and decision making from wide positions, the ball being given away in midfield, Bielik having a couple of casual moments, while Dillon had his least impressive match in weeks.

    Sarr was excellent, Parker definitely improved us up front when he came on, though Puttington was slightly unlucky to be sacrificed.

    Surprised Igor and Fosu lasted the 90 as the former was invisible, while the latter had one of those games in which everything he did seemed to go wrong. Marshall wasn't great, but at least he always gives 100%
  • edited February 9
    Frustrating game today cos Southend were there for the taking but we were powder puff and they had a ten minute or so spell 75-85 mins on the clock when they looked much more likely to nick it than us incredibly .
    i thought the back 3 looked vulnerable on the rare occasions they came at us .

    late on I don’t know who had the ball in the East Stand in the last few mins and it took ages to get it back in play but if that was a kid the parent should have ironed* the kid out and got it back to us quicker , we moan at Southend wasting time and our own fans were at it ! 

    Nice little flicked header of Reeves’ fivehead and with half hour plus left against ten men it was really disappointing we didn’t go on and win that .

    play offs are there for the taking but we’ll need to up our game massively if we wanna get promoted via them .


    Edit * I didn’t mean that , well maybe a little bit 
  • Looked like a conscious decision to play Igor the whole game once we were chasing it although fairly sure he'd have come off if we had been comfortably ahead. 
  • Thank you deity of choice that Taylor is back for the next game.
  • Sponsored links:


  • LenGlover said:
    PWR.

    Frustration! frustration! frustration!

    A game we territorially dominated yet, having conceded an unlucky deflected goal to go behind, we struggled to equalise against a team that had 10 men for an hour.

    It really is a hard game to analyse. I felt that individually the players did well enough for the most part yet somehow their efforts  didn't produce in the desired result after 96 minutes or whatever it was.

    Their goalkeeper made a couple of very good saves and a few more regulation ones to keep them in it but what I described on another thread as the Grand Canyon of no Taylor or Grant became ever more evident as, firstly, we failed to equalise until Reeves' eventual glancing header from a cross  where Marshall managed to get his radar right and, secondly, failed to grab the winner our pressure should have generated against 10 tiring men.

    Automatic promotion has gone and even a place in the play-offs is problematic. A team with genuine promotion aspirations finds a way to beat 10 men.

    Who was the idiot in the East Stand that kept the ball for an age during time added on? A rogue Southend fan I reckon!

    Good to applaud the great SCP as he left the pitch at the end but I'll finish where I started.

    Frustration! frustration! frustration!




    Peterborough are now 6 points behind us, and are in terrible form. Indeed Pompey above us are in terrible form as well. I'd be very surprised if we don't make the playoffs though the Blackpool game is perhaps now quite important as they are 8th and in good form
  • LenGlover said:
    PWR.

    Frustration! frustration! frustration!

    A game we territorially dominated yet, having conceded an unlucky deflected goal to go behind, we struggled to equalise against a team that had 10 men for an hour.

    It really is a hard game to analyse. I felt that individually the players did well enough for the most part yet somehow their efforts  didn't produce in the desired result after 96 minutes or whatever it was.

    Their goalkeeper made a couple of very good saves and a few more regulation ones to keep them in it but what I described on another thread as the Grand Canyon of no Taylor or Grant became ever more evident as, firstly, we failed to equalise until Reeves' eventual glancing header from a cross  where Marshall managed to get his radar right and, secondly, failed to grab the winner our pressure should have generated against 10 tiring men.

    Automatic promotion has gone and even a place in the play-offs is problematic. A team with genuine promotion aspirations finds a way to beat 10 men.

    Who was the idiot in the East Stand that kept the ball for an age during time added on? A rogue Southend fan I reckon!

    Good to applaud the great SCP as he left the pitch at the end but I'll finish where I started.

    Frustration! frustration! frustration!




    Peterborough are now 6 points behind us, and are in terrible form. Indeed Pompey above us are in terrible form as well. I'd be very surprised if we don't make the playoffs though the Blackpool game is perhaps now quite important as they are 8th and in good form
    Yeah, but it’s fun to overreact 
  • Having seen Fosu score a hatrick at Fleetwood last season and knowing what ability he has I can only come up with one conclusion. 
    He knows his contract is up in the summer and his agent has told him he has offers from championship clubs  because he is playing like he just doesn't care at the moment. 
    Not sure agree with you Stevie.The Fosu of that game at Fleetwood(I was there with you) seems a distant past.-I remember talking to Konsa on the train on the way home how Grant just needed a confidence boost - look what's happened to him.The same could/can be said for Fosu - he has the talent.Bad today but don't write him off yet!


  • Dreadful performance almost all round. I think the only players to come out of this with any credit are Parker, Culle and Reeves. Don't get the favourable comments for Williams. Very clever at times but he is supposed to be our most creative player at the head of the diamond. Did he create anything whatsoever? 
    Marshall's crossing was dreadful although he did get an assist for the goal. Fosu is so frustrating, so no more. 
    Vetokele probably the most overrated player we have had in the last 20 years, way off the pace. RHF miles away from being ready. 
    Bielek and Sarr both a hairbreaths away from disaster on many occasions. 
    Hope Taylor and Parker can quickly build up a relationship to make up for a highly overated midfield who will no doubt continue to look pretty but totally toothless
  • ct_addick said:
    He did it with Bielik after Rochdale which worked
  • I thought we had a stonewall penalty at the end, but ref gave it the other way.
  • Williams, Reeves and Cullen are good players... the three in front of them - Igor, Marshall and Fosu are poor... need Taylor and Aribo back in the side... 
  • Sponsored links:


  • edited February 9
    palace fan in peace. interesting comments on Williams. He has always been very very comfortable on the ball - great touch, great passer - and he can drift by people and create a bit of space. Challenge at palace was - among increasingly strong competition - I'm not sure he ever really had much end product or created things. He scored one goal - via a deflection - on around 75 games for us. Lovely little player to watch, and - with more confidence and more game time I'm sure he'll do well for you - but the lack of an attacking cutting edge to his game is I think what has held his career back. that and loads of bad luck with injuries
    This was always my read on him. I was surprised when Bowyer talked him up as having a cutting edge to break teams down when we signed him. The ability to get past players and keep play ticking over, but not exactly one to play the killer ball or score the vital goal.

    Unfortunately, Reeves, Fosu, and Cullen all have problems with one (Reeves and Fosu--killer ball) or both (Cullen) of those as well. 

    Certainly a very, very good player at this level, but needs a little more end product. It does not help that he gets kicked pillar to post every game. 
  • He’s got his head on, upside down he’s got his head on upside down, his head on upside down. Johnny johnny johnny johnny Williams,
  • Redrobo said:
    I thought we had a stonewall penalty at the end, but ref gave it the other way.
    Nah Parker was backing into their player

    Never a penalty
  • What a frustrating afternoon. I thought we started well and played some attractive passing football without an end product but as soon as Southend scored they started immediately to waste time and and spoil the game. I assume that was a tactic from their management which surprised me, given one of my favourite people in football is Chris Powell!

    Shocking play acting, time wasting and cynical fouling not helped by a weak referee---I must admit some of my Powell admiration has taken a hit!!

    Having said that, we are struggling without Taylor and Grant although, based on his second half performance, I'm amazed that Bowyer didn't start with Parker who looked sharp when he came on and quite good in the air which was totally lacking in the first half.

    For me, Sarr was by far the man of the match.

    I know this sounds over the top but after watching that game and the cynical time wasting and blatant fouls by the Southend players I felt quite depressed when I left the ground and questioned whether football at this level is worth watching. I'll probably get over it as I've been going to the Valley for over 65 years and I'm sure I've seen worse, but I can't remember when! 


  • Time wasting tactics, slowing the game down, injury feigning, are part of the game.
    But if you were head of marketing football you’d say it damages the product. If I paid £20 odd quid for that as a neutral I wouldn’t be back. For how much of the 90 minutes was the ball in play. 60 minutes?
    They need to do something about it. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Time wasting tactics, slowing the game down, injury feigning, are part of the game.
    But if you were head of marketing football you’d say it damages the product. If I paid £20 odd quid for that as a neutral I wouldn’t be back. For how much of the 90 minutes was the ball in play. 60 minutes?
    They need to do something about it. 
    Totally agree. If the ref had booked the keeper or, in particular, the left back for time wasting in the first half we would have seen a better game.
  • edited February 9
    dwb said:
    What a frustrating afternoon. I thought we started well and played some attractive passing football without an end product but as soon as Southend scored they started immediately to waste time and and spoil the game. I assume that was a tactic from their management which surprised me, given one of my favourite people in football is Chris Powell!

    Shocking play acting, time wasting and cynical fouling not helped by a weak referee---I must admit some of my Powell admiration has taken a hit!!

    Having said that, we are struggling without Taylor and Grant although, based on his second half performance, I'm amazed that Bowyer didn't start with Parker who looked sharp when he came on and quite good in the air which was totally lacking in the first half.

    For me, Sarr was by far the man of the match.

    I know this sounds over the top but after watching that game and the cynical time wasting and blatant fouls by the Southend players I felt quite depressed when I left the ground and questioned whether football at this level is worth watching. I'll probably get over it as I've been going to the Valley for over 65 years and I'm sure I've seen worse, but I can't remember when! 


    Me too (not the 65 years bit, the leaving the game depressed bit). Great post sir. 
Sign In or Register to comment.

Roland Out!