Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post match views: Charlton v Southend

Comments

• I’d actually like to referee a game in league one. Yesterday would have been abandoned by half time as I’d have sent off about six of their players and one of ours.What annoyed me was the refs tolerance of the blatant time wasting. Several times he pointed to his watch but then allowed the keeper to carry on wasting time. He also indicated to several “injured” players that he felt they were feigning it but then failed to book them.  I reckon the ball was actually in play for about 20 mins in the second half. 
    Can you book players for feigning injury? It's impossible to prove that the player collapsed on the ground doesn't have some sort of pain or strain
  • I’d actually like to referee a game in league one. Yesterday would have been abandoned by half time as I’d have sent off about six of their players and one of ours.What annoyed me was the refs tolerance of the blatant time wasting. Several times he pointed to his watch but then allowed the keeper to carry on wasting time. He also indicated to several “injured” players that he felt they were feigning it but then failed to book them.  I reckon the ball was actually in play for about 20 mins in the second half. 
    Can you book players for feigning injury? It's impossible to prove that the player collapsed on the ground doesn't have some sort of pain or strain
    If I was a ref and I thought the player was feigning injury I would just ignore him and let play continue 
  • Could always adopt the Rugby approach to injuries, let players receive treatment whilst the game continues :naughty:. Back in the real world stop the electronic clock as in other sports.
  • Rossman92 said:
    Even though he was on for 10 minutes, Reeco is dire....... he needs a loan somewhere else (not that we can afford to lose anyone else) because he's getting nothing out of the time he gets and neither is the football team
    He looks totally out of place. Too soon for our first team.
  • Rossman92 said:
    Even though he was on for 10 minutes, Reeco is dire....... he needs a loan somewhere else (not that we can afford to lose anyone else) because he's getting nothing out of the time he gets and neither is the football team
    I must admit I thought he was 18 or 19. Hadn’t realised he’s 21. Can’t see him making it at this level I’m afraid. 
    Nah, your probably right. I’m just venting as I’m still so frustrated after watching that yesterday. My mate and I were so angry we could barely speak to each other in the car going home. Such a frustrating game to watch. 
  • Rossman92 said:
    I must admit I thought he was 18 or 19. Hadn’t realised he’s 21. Can’t see him making it at this level I’m afraid. 
    Same age as Grant but not the youth pedigree at international level.

• Bowyers fault IMHO. Starting line up full of midget midfielders who can pass sideways and backwards brilliantly. No real target man we were so predictable.

playoffs very best we can hope for but not really confident of that because we are so lightweight in midfield.

nabby superb today, everybody else average or worse.

Apologies, but which target men did you want Bowyer to play ?
  • edited February 2019
    Rossman92 said:
    Too much weight on his shoulders at the moment.

He needs to follow Karlan's example from the last year: go out on loan for a few months, score some goals at Div Four level to boost his confidence, then drop the double-barrelled name.
    Agreed and those double barrelled names must weigh a ton   ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• There's nothing in Reeco's history to suggest he might make a breakthrough really.
  • RedChaser said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Too much weight on his shoulders at the moment.

He needs to follow Karlan's example from the last year: go out on loan for a few months, score some goals at Div Four level to boost his confidence, then drop the double-barrelled name.
    Agreed and those double barrelled names must weigh a ton   ;)
    Like I said, too much weight on his shoulders, especially with long names like Hackett (not a goid name for a footballer!) and Fairchild.

Must cost a fortune in the shop with all those letters ...
  • I had Parker starting ahead of Igor.
    That fantastic cross from Williams on the right which Vetokele messed up was more from Rustiness and not fitness, but may  have been converted judging by JP heading in the 2nd half.
    Also the one decent cross by Fosu for Williams may have found Parker as well.

According to a neutral source Igor is on 7k a week, if this summer he doesn't want to be out of work, he needs for his families sake as well as Charlton's to score half a dozen goals.
    Maybe Igor just needed the 90 minutes But as Ricky Holmes and Tarique Fosu have found out, football is an ephemeral experience and your can't live on previous seasons form, or in Fosu case one magic game against the Gills two months ago.

killerandflash said:
    I’d actually like to referee a game in league one. Yesterday would have been abandoned by half time as I’d have sent off about six of their players and one of ours.What annoyed me was the refs tolerance of the blatant time wasting. Several times he pointed to his watch but then allowed the keeper to carry on wasting time. He also indicated to several “injured” players that he felt they were feigning it but then failed to book them.  I reckon the ball was actually in play for about 20 mins in the second half. 
    Cannot understand why referees don't just add on appropriate time for time-wasting and stoppages for injuries. if the games is stopped for fifteen minutes there should be fifteen minutes of extra time - not six! 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Hold on Fosu last season was unplayable for plenty of games , he got 2 at Northampton away near to Easter and was one of our biggest threats .
    Can’t remember when he got injured but this season he has been a different player and is the crap one everyone is referring to .
    Maybe he is a bit of a Tony Watt who was unplayable in the early part of his Charlton career .
    So there is a player in there but can we find him again a bit like Vetokele , I suppose they’ve all got Charltonised ! 
    The fact that Reading were happy to let him go suggests that he was Charltonised before he joined us...

He was flavour of the month for quite a long time on the forum after he joined us. 
    Rather like we have 'Grant haters' now we had 'Harriott haters' then and anything would be perceived as better in their eyes.
  • Igor a long way off the pace. 
    A lot resting on Taylor now.
    Who is one booking away from a two game suspension?
  • edited February 2019
    RHF; yes he needs to go out on loan and play games but we have to be realistic; would a League 2 club want him above other strikers? Would he even get regular games at Conference level? Id say, Welling/Dulwich level and let's see how he copes. He's got to go somewhere he'll play, not just be a regular sub.

Igor; I'm sure with games, he'll be fine. The key is staying fit so he can get those games. I think the general fitness (the running bit) is there but it's more the match sharpness that isn't. Remember 1st half yesterday, a long ball up the right wing. No way did I think he could get it but he did. That showed me that he's still got his pace. 
  • sm said:
    Igor a long way off the pace. 
    A lot resting on Taylor now.
    Who is one booking away from a two game suspension?
    Two bookings, I believe, though fairly odds on to pick one up at AFCW.
  • A word on the ref; red card 100% correct. Not sure Reeves deserved yellow and definitely sure their bloke didn't deserve yellow 1st half....great Phillips throw to put Fosu away and the lad did brilliantly to catch up and toe poke the ball away. Never even a foul. 
  • A fan of Bowyer but that starting eleven was a joke ( I know he doesn't have many options at the moment ) . Parker should have started as Vetokele is not fit . Marshall and Fosu were poor and don't get me started on RHF . Loved Sarr's performance, Cullen and Reeves worked hard . Southend keeper was MOM and felt like a loss not a draw . Taylor and Bauer back next week should see an improvement in form . Think we could still do top two  .
    This... I watched Vetokele at QPR and you could tell from that he is weeks away. Fail to see why Marshall gets chance after chance , I’ve watched him a few times before he joined at Bradford and was honestly shocked Charlton bought him. He can’t cross a ball and yet they persevere. If that was a player from the academy he’d be gone...they need to play Doughty on the left Taylor and Parker  will have a field day..... Controversial I know but it’s that simple. Lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Simonsen said:
    A word on the ref; red card 100% correct. Not sure Reeves deserved yellow and definitely sure their bloke didn't deserve yellow 1st half....great Phillips throw to put Fosu away and the lad did brilliantly to catch up and toe poke the ball away. Never even a foul. 
    Extra word on the red card... I know a lot was made about the behaviour of the Southend players yesterday yet thought that both their Captain / Simon Cox and the ref did well whilst Williams was getting treatment

Even with the respect campaign these days you see players surrounding the refs etc. Yet going by the iFollow stream there was just an honest discussion between all three mentioned, felt it was quite refreshing to see for once
  • We were awful. No complaints. 
    Parker made a difference and I was impressed by him and Sarr. 
    I don’t like to bash the officials too much as it is a tough job. But, how did Kightly get away with 3 fouls on Marshall in the second half, all within about 10 mins, AND NOT GET A BOOKING!?!?!

6 subs made, that’s 3 mins. 
    Their keeper had 3minutes of treatment/having a rest. 
    Then the countiess 30seconds to take a throw in, minute for the goal to restart the game etc etc. 

Its just infuriating. Not the reason we drew, but infuriating nonetheless. 
  • A fan of Bowyer but that starting eleven was a joke ( I know he doesn't have many options at the moment ) . Parker should have started as Vetokele is not fit . Marshall and Fosu were poor and don't get me started on RHF . Loved Sarr's performance, Cullen and Reeves worked hard . Southend keeper was MOM and felt like a loss not a draw . Taylor and Bauer back next week should see an improvement in form . Think we could still do top two  .
    This... I watched Vetokele at QPR and you could tell from that he is weeks away. Fail to see why Marshall gets chance after chance , I’ve watched him a few times before he joined at Bradford and was honestly shocked Charlton bought him. He can’t cross a ball and yet they persevere. If that was a player from the academy he’d be gone...they need to play Doughty on the left Taylor and Parker  will have a field day..... Controversial I know but it’s that simple. Lol
    Well one reason they get chance after chance is we have got no one else in the building...now wonder who's fault that is...🤔
    Well one reason they get chance after chance is we have got no one else in the building...now wonder who's fault that is...🤔
    Your missing the point - stop giving them a chance - they are not good enough. There are far better players   being ignored in the 23’s Doughty Dempsey Wiredu. They are being overlooked. 
    Your missing the point - stop giving them a chance - they are not good enough. There are far better players   being ignored in the 23’s Doughty Dempsey Wiredu. They are being overlooked. 
    It’s hard to know if they’re better until they play in ‘men’s football’. It’s a step up. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    A fan of Bowyer but that starting eleven was a joke ( I know he doesn't have many options at the moment ) . Parker should have started as Vetokele is not fit . Marshall and Fosu were poor and don't get me started on RHF . Loved Sarr's performance, Cullen and Reeves worked hard . Southend keeper was MOM and felt like a loss not a draw . Taylor and Bauer back next week should see an improvement in form . Think we could still do top two  .
    It’s hard to know if they’re better until they play in ‘men’s football’. It’s a step up. 
    This opens up a whole new debate of the worth of U23 matches, with a max of four over-age players, compared to a proper reserve league.
  • Southend physio reminded me of i believe Andy Jones our old pie throwing physio. i was telling the missus who was with me and kids about my childhood memories singing those wonderful songs to him. 

how times have changed, not one chant did i hear of who ate all the pies.
  • JamesSeed said:
    A fan of Bowyer but that starting eleven was a joke ( I know he doesn't have many options at the moment ) . Parker should have started as Vetokele is not fit . Marshall and Fosu were poor and don't get me started on RHF . Loved Sarr's performance, Cullen and Reeves worked hard . Southend keeper was MOM and felt like a loss not a draw . Taylor and Bauer back next week should see an improvement in form . Think we could still do top two  .
    I 100% agree with you, but they all have, and equally as you say you won’t know until you try. I’ve seen enough of the players recently to know these 3 are a step up and home grown... 
  • The Southend physio contributed to the time wasting in the sense that it took him about five minutes to waddle to the other side of the pitch to treat the countless casualties. He racked up about six minutes extra time all by himself. 
  • The Southend physio contributed to the time wasting in the sense that it took him about five minutes to waddle to the other side of the pitch to treat the countless casualties. He racked up about six minutes extra time all by himself. 
    I watched on stream with no sound but did 'who ate all the pies' get sung :smiley: