Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post match views: Charlton v Southend

Comments

• My favourite thing from today was that Reeves, after his headed goal, started winning loads of headers, it was freakish 
  • edited February 2019
    I'm pleased for once that i'm at work. 
  • There is a Charlton Life swearing ban in place so I can’t say what I really thought of that today. But here goes. Southend were just about the scummiest team I’ve ever seen. They took it in carefully coordinated turn to foul us and were allowed by the ref to get away with the most blatant time wasting I’ve ever seen. Sorry Sir Chris, love you mate but if that’s what you’re reduced to then I wish you nothing but relegation. Thanks for the memories. As for us, we stank the place out. Fosu produced just about the worst individual display I can remember and was reduced to dribbling himself on one hilariously bad occasion. Marshall couldn’t work out where he was supposed to be playing in the first half and when asked to do his day job in the second managed one decent cross out of about twelve. Igor was utterly invisible. I genuinely thought we’d taken him off at half time. Purrington. Player of the month my fragrant Scottish arse. Sorry not allowed to say arse any more. My apologies. We need Aribo and Lyle back pronto. Without them we are a mid table side. It’s all gone Pete Tong I’m afraid. 
  • Also to the idiots who released a smoke bomb/flare after the red card.

It was a red card not a winning goal WTF was that about
  • From what I remember, Igor was never a striker who fed off balls in the air. He liked it into feet or to run in behind, yet today he was just sent constant aimless balls in the air. 

Fosu hugely frustrating to watch. Has the confidence to regularly not play the easy ball, but then loses possession numerous times. If I were Bowyer I'd drop him next game.

Nabby MotM. 

Southend were the kings of time wasting. 

Nailed it. Said before the game that Igor needs balls to run on to....he didn't get one. Have to add that Sarr was immense.

• Roland has well and truly screwed us !!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Teh game showed how reliant we are on Taylor. He troubles defenders which creates openings. I though Sarr was terrific. Fosu disapointing, but we have to try and play him into form. Thought they fouled too much and ref should have clamped down on it better in the second half.
  • Williams is overrated by many on this forum. He has upset our rhythm. Yes he has good feet but his overall contribution to the team doesn’t warrant the praise he his getting.

Exactly my thoughts
  • I do not find it I do not want to pay money to watch a team waste time. It was the worst I have seen. Players laying “injured”, that’s not football.
  • Positives are josh Parker nabby (mom) lapslie johnny,  Negatives tariq igor, Bloody Hell . Bad team selection in hindsight but Parker and lapslie should start next week . God knows where tariqs head is at. Am looking forward to seeing Lyle play with Parker who by the way is a good header of the ball. Really frustrating and won’t be applauding Grant if ever comes to the Valley.
  • edited February 2019
    vff said:
    It will be great if Charlton can remain in the top 6 and will be an achievement for Lee Bowyer, Johnnie Jackson & the team. 

The really important thing thing would be a takeover very soon to confirm manager & players contracts & provide a solid basis for success for the next season. 
    I just don't agree. This is a team with Bauer, Sarr, and Pearce in defense. Cullen, Jonny Williams, Reeves, Bielik, and Fosu in midfield with Taylor plus Igor/Parker up front. That should be e ough quality for a tip six side. 

Yes, losing Grant is tough, and it has been drastically exacerbated by Taylor's suspension, but we look less than the sum of our parts at the moment. Not starting Parker was clearly a mistake. But in the first half our main form of attack was getting it wide and putting the crosses in the air for 5'8" Vetokele and 5'6" Marshall. It's just not good enough. Not every team is going to come on to us and leave us space in behind, and we need to be better at finding space and little moments of quality in the final third. Taylor can help with that, but with a midfield of Cullen, Reeves, and Williams they should have enough quality to break sides down most weeks. 
  • Williams, Sarr, Reeves and Parker only players that looked any good. 
    Had 3 strikers on at the end and still could not score......
    Shame as up to AS felt like we would get something out of this season.
    I have reassessed the season now and think we are just on for a repeat of last year......self preservation!

• Massively frustrating. Taylor is huge for us offensively and we are lost without him. Long way to go with this season but I’m gearing up for the play offs lottery. Sunderland probably.

• I think Sunderland will get third so we need to be looking to come 4th or 5th to play them in the final again :) 
  • Sponsored links:

• vffvff
    edited February 2019
    SDAddick said:
    vff said:
    It will be great if Charlton can remain in the top 6 and will be an achievement for Lee Bowyer, Johnnie Jackson & the team. 

The really important thing thing would be a takeover very soon to confirm manager & players contracts & provide a solid basis for success for the next season. 
    I just don't agree. This is a team with Bauer, Sarr, and Pearce in defense. Cullen, Jonny Williams, Reeves, Bielik, and Fosu in midfield with Taylor plus Igor/Parker up front. That should be e ough quality for a tip six side. 

Yes, losing Grant is tough, and it has been drastically exacerbated by Taylor's suspension, but we look less than the sum of our parts at the moment. Not starting Parker was clearly a mistake. But in the first half our main form of attack was getting it wide and putting the crosses in the air for 5'8" Vetokele and 5'6" Marshall. It's just not good enough. Not every team is going to come on to us and leave us space in behind, and we need to be better at finding space and little moments of quality in the final third. Taylor can help with that, but with a midfield of Cullen, Reeves, and Williams they should have enough quality to break sides down most weeks. 
    Vff: 
    The forward line is looking a problem. Charlton had 2 good strikers in Lyle Taylor and Ahearne Grant. Take one decent striker out and Charlton are left with one decent proven striker. The opposition can focus on marking him and puts additional pressure on him. Also, he can't be rested and if he doesn't play scoring is a problem. The team may not always play well and having good strikers can make a real difference in picking up points. Lyle Taylor is a wonderful striker but it is a big ask.

Duchatelet in selling Grant has hamstrung automatics which was looking possible. Top 6 is looking difficult. I am sure Roland Duchatelet is putting a like on your post though. I admire your optimism and all. Lee Bowyer has done well with scarce resources so far, maybe he can manage it. It is no way straight forward.

Vetekele had an excellent initial start at Charlton, but since he was made to play on an injury, he has never recovered the form that he looked at his best. It depends with a run of games and avoiding injury, maybe he can recover that form. Its not certain. Hopefully Parker played in his best central position can step up, but that's not proven either. RHF looks like he would have benefited from a loan to a league 2 club. 

Granted the rest of the team looks good. I rate Steve Gallen and Bowyer's eye for a player. I still think that making top 6 will be a good job for the team & is no way assured. The play offs are a lottery. 

A decent take over and releasing Charlton from the grip of Roland Duchatelet will be a massive lift for supporters and everyone at the club. If that happens then the season will not have been wasted. The sooner the better. 

• Also I honestly believe Nabster is Beckenbours love child.
    Absolutely quality today .

Nabby Sarr was brilliant today.

So happy for the Charlton fans who love a scapegoat, step forward Fosu. That was Fosu who got failed on numerous occasions BUT the lad is so frustrating with his final ball.

Surprised we didn't lose today after going behind to the deflected goal.
    As I said in preview, Cullen, Williams and Reeves would dominate the play and our rusty attack would miss the half chances.

Superb management by Bowyer to take a LB off for Parker at HT.

I don't believe we would have been top 2 even if the talented Grant had stayed.
    Now we will be 5th or 6th and the lottery of the play-offs.
    Parker and Taylor next week and the rusty Igor can get fitter on the training ground as long as he doesn't put in for paternity Leave.
  • Williams is overrated by many on this forum. He has upset our rhythm. Yes he has good feet but his overall contribution to the team doesn’t warrant the praise he his getting.

Disagree

Williams is a class above and should not be in League 1
    Williams looks classy but doesn't seem to have enough end product - not convinced as yet.
    You could say that about most of them out there today. I get really pissed off with the amount of cynical fouls committed against Williams, Fossu etc. LB mentioned it on the radio tonight.
  • Game of 2 halves. Wasn't working first half, half time changes made a difference.
    Wasn't sure about most of the cards the ref dished out - the red looked like a yellow and their second yellow looked like a red. Thought all of ours were soft, not sure the Bielek one was even a foul.
    We should have got more out of our dominance of the second half. Not surprised we didn't. Sarr was good, so was Parker.
  • edited February 2019
    PWR.  Thought we started well.  Fosu talented and pacy - but someone please tell him he cannot do it all and to look up and pass!  Oh and while they're at it tell him if he gets straight in front of goal then that's the time to go for it and not pass.  Marshall the better of the two wide players (but still not great crosses). Williams getting chunks kicked out of him again and thought he had a good game.  Purrington reliable but not a thriller.  Thought we looked pretty good with 3 at the back and Sarr bossing defence.  Parker needs to start next week with Taylor.  Vetokele a bit anonymous at best and rushed back.  RHF... needs a loan out to mature (ala Grant).

• I do not find it I do not want to pay money to watch a team waste time. It was the worst I have seen. Players laying “injured”, that’s not football.
    The worst? other teams have come to The Valley and have been just as bad as Sarfend! It  goes with playing in a shit league against shit teams! Thanks Roland.
  • edited February 2019
    Impressed with Tariques interpretation of Peter Kaye’s hoof from the John Smith’s advert in the first half. All it lacked was Tarique shouting ‘ave it. Parker looked good, Vetokele hardly had a kick and Marshall was, as usual, the epitome of frustration. Put the cross in for the goal but every other cross was limp and then almost played a part in a late Southend winner. Yearwood wins the prize for thickest footballer on the pitch after being being warned by the ref after 2 fouls to then claim he slipped when wiping out Williams. Ref was decent too. 
  • edited February 2019
    If Fosu is so useless why does he get failed 10 times ever match when he plays 90 minutes after going past defenders ?

I agree he is the most frustrating player since Harriott and will be back on the bench next week siting alongside Marshal and Vetokele. 

• ct_addick said:
    If they can’t handle being told that their end product was diabolical after today, they shouldn’t be professionals.  It was there for 10000 people to see