Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Villa looking to recall Steer next week (gone)

edited December 2018 in General Charlton
Banter times,

Alan Nixon - The Sun

VILLA. Major shock. Nyland crocked in training. Trying to recall Steer for Tuesday. 😳

Comments

• Jeez . It gets better !
  • That would be worth it wouldnt it.

Lets recall a keeper starting every game to sit on our bench
  • edited December 2018

That would be worth it wouldnt it.

But what happens if the No.1 keeper gets injured too? - Villa have their own promotion aspirations and wont want to put a kid in with zero experience

The other matter is that they've only got two weeks to activate that recall clause so cant really take any risks - If Nyland is injured long term then yeah he'll be needed on their bench at least for the rest of the season, best case scenario is that Nyland's not out for long so the recall will only be a short term precaution; Steer has already played for two clubs this season so its not like Villa can send him elsewhere, they'd either have the choice of having three fit goalkeepers or they could send him back to us (provided we dont get someone else) after a few weeks

Just means we'd have Phillips for a few games rather than the rest of the season

But what happens if the No.1 keeper gets injured too? - Villa have their own promotion aspirations and wont want to put a kid in with zero experience
    I wouldnt call Mark Bunn a kid with zero experience

Has played two league games in two years, his sole League game this season saw them ship three goals

Might even be a case of the two swapping - Doesnt detract from the fact that Villa HAVE to think about their season before ours

Its our fault (Roland's) that we've gone through the whole of pre-season with just the one senior Goalkeeper!!

Has played two league games in two years, his sole League game this season saw them ship three goals

Might even be a case of the two swapping - Doesnt detract from the fact that Villa HAVE to think about their season before ours

Its our fault (Roland's) that we've gone through the whole of pre-season with just the one senior Goalkeeper!!
    What I am saying is all season Villa have had
    Nyland in Goal amd Bunn on the bench
    Why now Nyland is injured would they recall Steer when they will have
    Kalinic in goal and Bunn on the bench.

They have been happy with Bunn as a sub so far I cant see that changing

That is the problem with loan signings - Always a chance of a recall.

• Sponsored links:

• edited December 2018
    But a plus on the Kennedy thread, AMB is impressing a Chelmsford fan with his command of the area. When I saw him a few times 18 months ago, he was Deano like, rooted to his line. Good coaching? Can be recalled.
  • But a plus on the Kennedy thread, AMB is impressing a Chelmsford fan with his command of the area. When I saw him a few times 18 months ago, he was Deano like, rooted to his line. Good coaching? Can be recalled.

Leave him where he is. If Steer goes we need another keeper to come in and compete with Phillips, that is not AMB yet.
  • But a plus on the Kennedy thread, AMB is impressing a Chelmsford fan with his command of the area. When I saw him a few times 18 months ago, he was Deano like, rooted to his line. Good coaching? Can be recalled.

Leave him where he is. If Steer goes we need another keeper to come in and compete with Phillips, that is not AMB yet.
    Judging by your username you wouldn't have picked the 17yo Graham Tutt. Or Hart, Pickford, De Gea, Heaton etc. Was Bowyer too lightweight for men's football at 17?

Judging by your username you wouldn't have picked the 17yo Graham Tutt. Or Hart, Pickford, De Gea, Heaton etc. Was Bowyer too lightweight for men's football at 17?
    Do u honestly think AMB is ready to fight for a league 1 place after a few months at Chelmsford.

Remember we want to get out this league not stay in it.

AMB may be a decent player for the future, but should he be starting in league 1 because he is doing ok in the National League South No.
  • Ben Amos warming the bench at Millwall.

Get him back if Steer goes back to Villa.
  • cabbles said:

That would be worth it wouldnt it.

The other matter is that they've only got two weeks to activate that recall clause so cant really take any risks - If Nyland is injured long term then yeah he'll be needed on their bench at least for the rest of the season, best case scenario is that Nyland's not out for long so the recall will only be a short term precaution; Steer has already played for two clubs this season so its not like Villa can send him elsewhere, they'd either have the choice of having three fit goalkeepers or they could send him back to us (provided we dont get someone else) after a few weeks

Just means we'd have Phillips for a few games rather than the rest of the season
    Agree - again, we’re in this situation because of RD

Since he’s been here, every full season we’ve had a loan keeper...says it all
    We did sign Henderson and Dmitrovic under him who is the only non-Loanee Goalkeeper that we've gone and got yet he was free.

I wonder if its revenge for us not wanting Thuram
  • Havn’t Villa just signed a GK ?
  • Havn’t Villa just signed a GK ?

Yes - Croatian keeper Lovre Kalinic who will officially join them in about 30 hours.
  • Sponsored links:

Do u honestly think AMB is ready to fight for a league 1 place after a few months at Chelmsford.

AMB may be a decent player for the future, but should he be starting in league 1 because he is doing ok in the National League South No.
    AMB may be a crap player, but as back-up I would rather judge him on failures than potential age related shortcomings. He is 19 ffs.

AMB may be a crap player, but as back-up I would rather judge him on failures than potential age related shortcomings. He is 19 ffs.
    19 is very young for a GK. We can’t and I’m sure won’t be proceeding on the basis that AMB is our number two. Bowyer is inexperienced but been around football long enough to know that a 19 year old is not the answer.

I am fully aware he is 19, but personally I just want to get out of the shitty league, and I think having a more experienced gk is more likely to help us out of it.

Say Steer gets recalled and we dont sign anyone else, and we recall AMB then we lose Phillips for the season, we are then relying on a 19 year old with 6 pro games all in a league 3 leagues below us to try and get out the league.
  • Nick Pope is just back from injury
  • Watching Dartford the other day got me wondering if Charlton could ever stick Deren Ibrahim between the sticks in an emergency, just 27 and only retired from playing to work for us as an academy coach, a better bet than AMB surely?

If a 19 year old Goalkeeper is doing well at Chelmsford, let's leave him there to learn and improve. What's the point in changing that and bringing him back and putting him on the bench.

Plus there is the huge risk that Phillips gets injured and we are then seeking promotion with unproven 19 year old.

And judging him on failures isn't the bloody answer! Not if we want to go up.

To be fair Joe Hart started at Shrewsbury and was loaned to Tranmere / Blackpool before getting a serious chance with Man City
    Pickford had Heaton both had six loan spells before their chances arose
  • Secondly, I agree ..... leave a 19 year old keeper to gain experience where he's doing well.
    He won't gain experience by sitting on our bench.

And if Phillips gets injured, we risk the rest of one game with an untried U23 ..... and permitted to sign a keeper on emergency loan.
  • Ben Amos warming the bench at Millwall.

Get him back if Steer goes back to Villa.

16k a week.
    We picked up 4 of it last season.
    Spanners are paying 9 I’ve heard.
    Not going to happen under RD ownership.