Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Villa looking to recall Steer next week (gone)

Comments

• Richard J said:

Stephen Henderson has just had a three game emergency loan for Wycombe.

Would he be an option to come in?

Gets injured a lot so a good fit.

I liked Henderson but he was made of glass when with us.
  • johnny placide. at oldham last year had a half decent gane against us from memory. available on a free, cab imagine he would be cheap
  • CAFCDAZ said:

johnny placide. at oldham last year had a half decent gane against us from memory. available on a free, cab imagine he would be cheap

just thought id have a look. seems oldham fans had in general good things to say aboyt him.

• Going on Bowyer's comments, it sounds like Steer won't be back:
    “I rang him yesterday and wished him all the best and thanked him. He’s a good lad and he’s definitely got a bright career in front of him. I had to thank him for his commitment and professionalism.”

“We’ve had to recall Ashley from Chelmsford. It’s a shame really, he’s been out playing men’s football and learning and he’s really enjoyed it and he’s done really well.

“This will just be until we get another keeper to come in and compete with Dills and then we’ll let Ash go back out on loan because it’s really important for him now."

I don't think this is all doom and gloom but I think Steer is a superior keeper to Phillips at this stage in their careers. I think he has a lot more of the subtle traits--distribution, good under crosses, commanding, and he seems to be better at organizing the defense. Plus, our defense, yes it's patchwork, has been playing with him behind them for a while now.

I think Phillips is an okay keeper at this level but he's still very raw. I have questions about his concentration, particularly with the goals against Sunderland and Gillingham. And I think we take for granted just how comfortable Steer is with the ball at his feet.

Obviously it sounds like we'll be getting someone else in. I just wonder if he's going to be as good as Steer.
  • SDAddick said:

Going on Bowyer's comments, it sounds like Steer won't be back:
    “I rang him yesterday and wished him all the best and thanked him. He’s a good lad and he’s definitely got a bright career in front of him. I had to thank him for his commitment and professionalism.”

“We’ve had to recall Ashley from Chelmsford. It’s a shame really, he’s been out playing men’s football and learning and he’s really enjoyed it and he’s done really well.

“This will just be until we get another keeper to come in and compete with Dills and then we’ll let Ash go back out on loan because it’s really important for him now."

I don't think this is all doom and gloom but I think Steer is a superior keeper to Phillips at this stage in their careers. I think he has a lot more of the subtle traits--distribution, good under crosses, commanding, and he seems to be better at organizing the defense. Plus, our defense, yes it's patchwork, has been playing with him behind them for a while now.

I think Phillips is an okay keeper at this level but he's still very raw. I have questions about his concentration, particularly with the goals against Sunderland and Gillingham. And I think we take for granted just how comfortable Steer is with the ball at his feet.

Obviously it sounds like we'll be getting someone else in. I just wonder if he's going to be as good as Steer.

The second paragraph sums things up nicely.

A geezer goes back to Villa and replaced with a geezer from f****** Chelmsford!
  • He’s a loan player - always the risk, we can cry about it or we can get behind what we have not like we have an option
  • SDAddick said:

Phillips will improve the more he plays - neither Amos or Steer were particularly impressive in their first few games with us.
  • SDAddick said:

Phillips will improve the more he plays - neither Amos or Steer were particularly impressive in their first few games with us.
    True, he will. But Amos and Steer both have a much higher ceiling at this stage of their careers.
  • SDAddick said:

a geezer from Charlton tbf
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2019
    Leuth said:

SDAddick said:

a geezer from Charlton tbf
    Forget the tbf, you know what I was talking about, I was exagerrating the point. Who am I to say? I don't attend now.

NAPM NAPM NAPM.

Bracknell v Westfield later today anyone?
  • NAPM??

Not A Penny More :wink:
  • Thought it might have been.....”Not a pub man.”
  • Thought it might have been.....”Not a pub man.”

What Elfs ???
  • RedChaser said:

Thought it might have been.....”Not a pub man.”

What Elfs ???
    Exactly.

• RedChaser said:

What Elfs ???
    Exactly.

See you at Doncaster fellas, look out for a few Elfsborg shirts at the game.

HNY!
  • SDAddick said:

What a no plan shambles of a club.
  • I'm certainly in no way advocating he become first choice and I haven't seen him play apart from the few cup games he's featured in but between those and his feature on soccer AM AMB seemed a decent shot stopper at least.

Obviously we should be looking for another keeper but in the short term until then although it is not ideal for development, I can think of far worse goalkeepers to be sat on the bench.
  • I blame Bowyer for this, as I've been saying for a while now. It's the one blotch on his otherwise excellent year for us.

We've lost our loanee and in the summer we will lose Phillips. Then what do we have? Nothing. Phillips should have been the guy from day one. Would we be out of the top 6 if he was in? Maybe. But he could have been our keeper for years to come and now we may miss top 6 anyway AND lose Phillips.

Short-term thinking, as I see it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I blame Bowyer for this, as I've been saying for a while now. It's the one blotch on his otherwise excellent year for us.

We've lost our loanee and in the summer we will lose Phillips. Then what do we have? Nothing. Phillips should have been the guy from day one. Would we be out of the top 6 if he was in? Maybe. But he could have been our keeper for years to come and now we may miss top 6 anyway AND lose Phillips.

So you'd have played someone in the most important place on the pitch, just because he's ours, despite having someone better available?
  • NAPM??

RedChaser said:

NAPM??

Not A Penny More :wink:

Thought he couldn't spell NAPALM which is what he'd sent Roland for Xmas.

Doubtful that would have happened either because any young player showing promise would be sold by RD.

I don't think you can really blame Bowyer for getting a better keeper in on loan.

Let's just play the whole U23 team then and see if we can avoid relegation each season but hey at least we'll have 11 of our own on the pitch.

Sorry but while in L1 and Roland here the only thing I care about is getting back to The Championship ASAP.

So you blame Bowyer for injuring a Villa goalkeeper. Nobody could have seen it coming. Steer is streets ahead of Phillips. Hopefully Andy Marshall is working on improving him as an all round keeper.
  • Crusty54 said:

I blame Bowyer for this, as I've been saying for a while now. It's the one blotch on his otherwise excellent year for us.

So you blame Bowyer for injuring a Villa goalkeeper. Nobody could have seen it coming. Steer is streets ahead of Phillips. Hopefully Andy Marshall is working on improving him as an all round keeper.
    A lot of our fans won't give Phillips a chance - I hope for his sake he gets a run in the team or is moved on.
  • edited January 2019
    Phillips will do us a job, I was miffed when he was dropped at beginning of season as he hadn't done a lot wrong IMO.
    Steer started shaky and this looked even more harsh dropping Phillips.
    The last 10/12 games Steer has looked bloddy excellent, coming for crosses and corners has been brilliant and a couple of point blank saves.
    Im gutted he's gone as I think he was starting to peak but Phillips will have my full support.

Sorry but Phillips' development is not more important than promotion/the whole club.
    Crazy thinking.
    We've got Steer back to fitness and lost him so you can criticise that. Are we now reliant on loan keepers? If Phillips doesn't play he won't improve - both Amos and Steer were rusty until they got a regular run in the side.

If Phillips is so poor we should have sold him or put him out on loan.

Sorry but Phillips' development is not more important than promotion/the whole club.
    Crazy thinking.
    We've got Steer back to fitness and lost him so you can criticise that. Are we now reliant on loan keepers? If Phillips doesn't play he won't improve - both Amos and Steer were rusty until they got a regular run in the side.

If Phillips is so poor we should have sold him or put him out on loan.
    We might be a basketcase of a club, but we're not gonna leave ourselves without a backup keeper。