Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mansfield v Charlton - Post Match Thread

We live to fight another day after a tepid performance.

Thoughts of those there and watching on streams?

Comments

• Watched on a stream.

It was the FA Cup and it was Charlton.

Looked promising either side of the goal but Mansfield carried more threat.

Good to see Toby score but he was under pressure a bit when defending.

Very good to see Clarke back although his passing was off albeit playing very deep which isn't his game.

No one else shone.

We have another game we don't need.
  • edited November 2018
    Never seen so many misplaced passes and terrible first touches
    Ward and particularly Ajose showing a real lack of desire
    Lapslie, Stephenson and AD the only ones to come out of that with any credit.
  • Don't need the replay. The dilemma is whether or not to go. I assume they will close most of the ground.
  • Watched on Paddy Power. First time I've watched us live via a bookies stream. Found it depressing keep seeing the red light flash each time our odds went further and further out.
  • would like to know what the Mansfield players were complaining about with our equaliser. Handball ??? On BBC the goalie plus 4 or 5 defenders were all moaning & some evening going over to the lino.

Anyway.....Stephenson has more goals this season than Ajose has in the last 2.
  • Given the inexperience of the midfield in particular I thought we did well. Good experience for the young players and I guess they will get another go on the 20th.
  • edited November 2018
    Should have saved the 9 changes for the check a trade and we probably wouldn't be facing another unnecessary 90 minutes to plan for now.

Maybe at least we might get to see the replay on proper tv...?

Edit scrap that I see Salford drew away so they are nailed on for tv...
  • would like to know what the Mansfield players were complaining about with our equaliser. Handball ??? On BBC the goalie plus 4 or 5 defenders were all moaning & some evening going over to the lino.

There was some suggestion Mansfield were appealing for offside?

• Not exactly sure we need another game, but we'll take it after being behind.

Replay will be another game for the kids and will also help Clarke and Bauer to get minutes.

Stevenson can't be far off getting a run out in the league if he keeps this up.
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought Nabby had a good second half Henners but never saw the first so can't rate him overall.
  • 1st 10 minutes we looked ok. The rest of the half we were very disjointed especially in the middle of the park. Maloney was weak. Too much for the lad?
    2nd half we were a lot better. The subs worked. Fosu made a difference as did Billy Clarke in the middle. Good to see him back. Another game to play I know, but I'd rather that than losing this one. All in all we did ok with a very patchwork/threadbare squad.
    Well done Bows for handling this one pretty well.
  • Loved the Goldsmithesque dribble out of the six yard box by the Nabster.
  • We could do without the replay. Not sure who will be available, I assume Taylor, Bielik and Ward will be away on international duty if it's played on the 20th
  • Note for your diaries:

Our final @CheckatradeTrophy group match against Swansea City U21 has now been confirmed for Tuesday, November 13th at The Valley (7.45pm).

• edited November 2018
    Bad first half, better second but overall didn’t create enough. Missed Reeves’ passing, Aribo’s skills and Taylor’s hold up play.

Dillion wobbly in places. Djiksteel very assured at centre back. Sarr decent too. One of Marshall’s better showings without excelling. Thought Stevenson did fine - most of their threatening attacks came down the opposite side to him. Pratley disappointing in possession- very wasteful, and booked as per. Lapslie busy but a little lacking in quality. Maloney looked a bit lost. Ward tried to make things happen but failed. Grant quiet and missed his wingman. Ajose, wish we didn’t still have to use him because he certainly doesn’t seem too interested in playing. Fosu still struggling to recreate last season - maybe linked to playing more centrally. Clarke rusty but committed, Reeco didn’t really get into the game but gotta be worth a chance in the replay.
  • Very frustrating performance, although I take into account the number of changes and playing some of the youngsters. Was getting more and more pissed off with Pratley as the game went on. Gives the ball away, looks about 2 yards off the pace as well. Certainly worry long term if he steps in as Cullen’s replacement.

A bitty game all round. Mansfield deserved their replay and had they had more up top we would have lost that

I’m pleased we’re still in the cup, would’ve been mega pissed off had we gone out regardless of those changes

Let’s hope this coach journey home goes quickly
  • In the car on the way back. Crap performance, utter shite. We've made all those changes even though there's an international break coming up and it's bitten us on the arse because now we have a sodding replay.

Thought Djiksteel had a good game. Bar that, not much positive to be said.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stream.

Lucky to be in the hat for the next round, but the replay will be very tough if we play like that again.
    It felt like Rochdale away only worse.
    Very few positives beyond it was nice to see Billy Clarke back involved, and our fans turned up even if the team didn't.
    Taylor Maloney improved in the second half, but everything floundered on the lack of a sense of a team, where we had no harmony, no sense of partnerships, and generally not much going for us.
    Pretty dreary.
  • Low quality FA cup game, where we improved in the 2nd half to average.
    George Lapslie reminds me of Prichard, covers every blade of grass and like Bradley is poor in front of goal.
    Clarke looks way short of being fit ? He looks like Scott Wagstaff's dad. Billy needs the replay to get match fit.
    I can't judge RHF until he touches the ball.
    Sarr and Dijksteel had decent games and Marshall ran hard.
    Maloney looked like a little boy lost but did find a couple of passes 2nd half.
    Phillips did ok for number 2 keeper.
    Stevenson has room for improvement.
    Grant, good cross but a miss chance plus needs Lyle Taylor to hold up play.
    Ajosie poor but at least did the assist.
    Pratley loves a yellow card and Ward had his poorest game.
    Fosu still finding his feet but at least he wanted the ball when entering the fray.
    We can now watch the 2 round draw even thou it's still only 50/50 that we will be victors.
  • edited November 2018
    cabbles said:

Very frustrating performance, although I take into account the number of changes and playing some of the youngsters. Was getting more and more pissed off with Pratley as the game went on. Gives the ball away, looks about 2 yards off the pace as well. Certainly worry long term if he steps in as Cullen’s replacement.

A bitty game all round. Mansfield deserved their replay and had they had more up top we would have lost that

I’m pleased we’re still in the cup, would’ve been mega pissed off had we gone out regardless of those changes

He wasn't special in the second half (never saw the first) but Pratley had a bloody good game mate on Tuesday at Walsall, like you and especially me, he's no spring chicken :wink: Two games in a week are too much for a 33 year old so I don't expect him to play v Swansea U23s Tuesday but he does have an important part to play in the immediate future.
  • When are replay tickets on sale?
  • we looked useless. almost every player in that 11 should have played out of their skin to try and get a first team place. none of them looked interested apart from a couple. mansfield wanted it more than us, and probably deserved to win
  • I think Bowyer should start mentioning Stevenson's goals to his attacking players... Its getting embarrassing how he's got so many compared to the Midfielders in our team!!

Typical Cup performance from us though, was a bit disappointed when we equalised as we seemed to take our foot off the gas and so allowed Mansfield to control matters again
  • We were awful. Probably our worse performance under Lee Bowyer. Sarr was class as was Djiksteel. Rest well below par. Credit to Mansfield they done well enough to beat us
  • RedChaser said:

cabbles said:

Very frustrating performance, although I take into account the number of changes and playing some of the youngsters. Was getting more and more pissed off with Pratley as the game went on. Gives the ball away, looks about 2 yards off the pace as well. Certainly worry long term if he steps in as Cullen’s replacement.

He wasnt special in the second half (never saw the first) but Pratley had a bloody good game mate on Tuesday at Walsall, like you and especially me, he's no spring chicken :wink: Two games in a week are too much for a 33 year old so I don't expect him to play v Swansea U23s Tuesday but he does have an important part to play in the immediate future.
    Fair play mate. I didn’t see Tuesday’s game.
  • When is the replay?