Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mansfield v Charlton - Post Match Thread

Comments

• When is the replay?

20th November
  • When is the replay?

Tuesday 20th November at the Valley :wink:
  • Oggy Red said:

Note for your diaries:

Our final @CheckatradeTrophy group match against Swansea City U21 has now been confirmed for Tuesday, November 13th at The Valley (7.45pm).

Thank you, I will enjoy forgetting all about that until I get a kick off notification on my phone
  • when is draw for R2?
  • when is draw for R2?

Tomorrow night on BBC
  • when is draw for R2?

Tomorrow at 7pm.
  • when is draw for R2?

Tomorrow night on BBC
    Thanks FA
  • edited November 2018

when is draw for R2?

Tomorrow night on BBC
    There's a parrot on here :wink: .
  • edited November 2018

when is draw for R2?

Tomorrow night on BBC
    Thanks FA
    Don't mind me tomorrow night could be anytime from 6.00pm until midnight :expressionless:
  • Sponsored links:

• Watched on a betting stream...thought we were at best OK. 1st half we were poor, 2nd half we stepped it up a bit, but they always looked dangerous when on the break. A draw was just about a fair result, however I thought we would lose it to be honest. Oh well on to the replay in 9 days time.
  • Overall, very pleased to come away with a 1-1 draw and take the Stags back to the Valley. As expected, they were a major threat to us but what was disappointing was our general performance.,Few players today were worth their salt with Dijksteel being our best performer.
    We were reasonably promising at the start. From the off though, Mansfield showed their intent with CJ Hamilton hitting the post.
    However, we generally started to lapse into a poor quality of play epitomised by a bad day at the office for the normally reliable Ward.
    Just before their goal, I felt they were opening up spaces which climaxed in their well taken goal by Hamilton.
    As the 2nd half progressed, we looked to change our system for a second time by going 4-3-3 when Fosu came on.
    Once Clarke came on for the disappointing Pratley, we looked a real danger and culminated in the Stevenson equaliser.
    Straight after, Ajose should of scored when one on one with Olejnik.
    Mansfield will be downhearted as we were definitely there for the taking but the two substitutions were key for me in ensuring we're in the 2nd round draw.
  • Overall, very pleased to come away with a 1-1 draw and take the Stags back to the Valley. As expected, they were a major threat to us but what was disappointing was our general performance.,Few players today were worth their salt with Dijksteel being our best performer.
    We were reasonably promising at the start. From the off though, Mansfield showed their intent with CJ Hamilton hitting the post.
    However, we generally started to lapse into a poor quality of play epitomised by a bad day at the office for the normally reliable Ward.
    Just before their goal, I felt they were opening up spaces which climaxed in their well taken goal by Hamilton.
    As the 2nd half progressed, we looked to change our system for a second time by going 4-3-3 when Fosu came on.
    Once Clarke came on for the disappointing Pratley, we looked a real danger and culminated in the Stevenson equaliser.
    Mansfield will be downhearted as we were definitely there for the taking but the two substitutions were key for me in ensuring we're in the 2nd round draw.

Clarke came on for Maloney...

Pratley didnt go off

Clarke came on for Maloney...

Pratley didnt go off
    To be fair FA, he was getting pelters on the coach on the way up for his route master bus book and that he’s missing Blackpool and Coventry. I think it got to him in the end
  • Stephenson's goals per game ratio down by 50%. He's obviously been Charltonised.
  • Draw was a fair result. Started off well and missed a couple of good chances. Then kept giving the ball away far too often and was punished for it before half time.

2nd half more of an even game, and deserved an equaliser. Ajose should have scored straight after with a 1 on 1. Still in the cup, new ground ticked off. Not a bad day
  • Sponsored links:

• How was Stevenson aside from the goal? Some on social media are calling for him to play in the first team, but there’s no point throwing him in if the rest of his game isn’t good enough.
  • Doubt very much Bowyer wanted a replay. Bet he gave Stephenson a rocket back in the dressing rooms.
  • Watched on the stream.

I thought we were a litttle fortunate to get the draw following a very disjointed performance. Even with nine changes, I was surprised at the number of misplaced passes and the number of times we naively played ourselves into trouble. There didn’t seem to be much of a game plan and the complete absence of established partnerships across the team was reflected in the lack of cohesion.

I thought that Anfernee Dijksteel had a horse of a game and looked a cut above, whilst Toby Stevenson also did well against a decent Mansfield side (CJ Hamilton was particularly impressive). Unfortunately, most of our experienced players, including Ward (poor concession of possession for the goal), Ajose (weak and half-hearted), Pratley (a bit off the pace, although a good clearance off the line) and Marshall made little impression. With Mahoney (in particular) and Lapslie also struggling to get a foothold in central midfield, it’s small wonder that we struggled for much of the game.

Good to see Billy Clarke back and his professional foul was absolutely vintage - a kind of gentlemanly rugby tackle. I’m also pleased to still be in the hat - whatever Lee Bowyer has to say about it - especially for the 500 hardly souls who traipsed all the way up to Mansfield for a lunchtime kick off. The replay will also give some much needed game time to the young lads and players like Bauer and Clarke who are working back towards fitness.
  • Scoham said:

How was Stevenson aside from the goal? Some on social media are calling for him to play in the first team, but there’s no point throwing him in if the rest of his game isn’t good enough.

Is a difficult one as he was playing Wing Back today whereas he'd be Full-Back in the League
  • Scoham said:

How was Stevenson aside from the goal? Some on social media are calling for him to play in the first team, but there’s no point throwing him in if the rest of his game isn’t good enough.

Got better as the game went on. Personally not yet on a regular basis but what a start to his career.
  • oh dear large (-:
  • When you are only good enough to draw, an extra game is a result, you need the game time
  • Scoham said:

Is a difficult one as he was playing Wing Back today whereas he'd be Full-Back in the League
    Pretty similar roles though, the full backs in a diamond really need to be more like wing backs to add width going forward.
  • Stephenson's goals per game ratio down by 50%. He's obviously been Charltonised.

33.33%, surely...😉