Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mansfield v Charlton - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options

Scoham said:

How was Stevenson aside from the goal? Some on social media are calling for him to play in the first team, but there’s no point throwing him in if the rest of his game isn’t good enough.

Is a difficult one as he was playing Wing Back today whereas he'd be Full-Back in the League
    With Cullen out, will we still be playing the diamond every match?
  • Options
    They seemed to have acres of space down their left hand side, no idea who was supposed to be right midfield for us but they weren’t present
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    at the game

we got away with this .. disappointing on the one hand that Bowyer put out a weakened team, on the other hand, good that some of the youngsters got a game …

we were 100% better when Fosu and Clarke came on .. our lightweight midfield was barely coping with a bigger faster Stags outfit .. Pratley had a terrific game and was almost running a tutorial for our callow midfield as the game went on

Stevenson got better as the game went on and after his goal he looked supremely confident.

Grant never gave up and was our main danger .. MOM performance .. Marshall coped well at r/back .. Ajose ? .. often found space and never got the service, eventually looked totally cheesed off and looked almost pleased to be taken off .. Clarke had a good run out, Sarr after a really shabby start got better as the game progressed .. Dijks a good game in the middle .. Phillips made one very good save ..
    all in all though a match to forget except for our youngsters who would be pleased for the experience .. we rode our luck and got a fortunate draw .. the replay ?? .. who knows
  • Options

Overall, very pleased to come away with a 1-1 draw and take the Stags back to the Valley. As expected, they were a major threat to us but what was disappointing was our general performance.,Few players today were worth their salt with Dijksteel being our best performer.
    We were reasonably promising at the start. From the off though, Mansfield showed their intent with CJ Hamilton hitting the post.
    However, we generally started to lapse into a poor quality of play epitomised by a bad day at the office for the normally reliable Ward.
    Just before their goal, I felt they were opening up spaces which climaxed in their well taken goal by Hamilton.
    As the 2nd half progressed, we looked to change our system for a second time by going 4-3-3 when Fosu came on.
    Once Clarke came on for the disappointing Pratley, we looked a real danger and culminated in the Stevenson equaliser.
    Straight after, Ajose should of scored when one on one with Olejnik.
    Mansfield will be downhearted as we were definitely there for the taking but the two substitutions were key for me in ensuring we're in the 2nd round draw.

Clarke came on for Maloney...

Pratley didnt go off
    Quite right FA. Slipped up there. Maybe it was wishful thinking.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Looking ahead , if Cullens out for a while, and Billy Clarke’s still needs match fitness, could Angernee play in the middle and we try and bring through a couple of kids into the full back positions?

Or do we stick with Solly at Left back and Marshy at right back?
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Looking ahead , if Cullens out for a while, and Billy Clarke’s still needs match fitness, could Angernee play in the middle and we try and bring through a couple of kids into the full back positions?

We can play a flat 4-4-2 or if it's a diamond it'll be Bielik when Bauer is back or Pratley at the base, possibly Djiksteel. Fullbacks will be RB Solly LB Sarr who provided much better balance at Walsall, until Page returns.
  • Options

Like the idea but while I have no qualms about the defensive side of his game I'm not sure if he could replicate the passing and movement Cullen brings, at least not if he's up against some of the wily old bastards in this league hassling him.
  • Options

Well Dijksteel will need to stay calm if he does ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Clarkie’s on the pitch 5 minutes and we score.
    I like it.
  • Options
    The Fuck All Cup, a cup that keeps on giving us nothing.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

would like to know what the Mansfield players were complaining about with our equaliser. Handball ??? On BBC the goalie plus 4 or 5 defenders were all moaning & some evening going over to the lino.

There was some suggestion Mansfield were appealing for offside?

Think the keeper was saying he had the ball kicked from his hands.
  • Options
    No, didn't kick it from the keeper's hands. It looked offside to me, but those are so hard to call
  • Options
    Watched on stream . We didn’t deserve anything from the game because Bowyer treated it like all the other Charlton managers have over the last few decades - with disrespect.
    This is an important competition and I know we have injuries but a cup run could kick start our season.
    Sarr was the the only standout player today . The rest , especially players like Ajose and Grant look like they couldn’t be bothered .
    The replay is by no means a forgone conclusion.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

No, didn't kick it from the keeper's hands. It looked offside to me, but those are so hard to call

Looked offside to me as well. The man on the post had moved forward so only goalkeeper.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Leuth said:

Looked offside to me as well. The man on the post had moved forward so only goalkeeper.
    He was behind the ball when Fosu played it so not offside
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Redrobo said:

Leuth said:

Redrobo said:

Leuth said:

watch it again .. when Ajose crosses there are three (go on count em) defenders between Stevenson and the goal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46087418
  • Options
    I reckon the 2019 FA Cup has our name on it...!
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

written VERY small .. in pencil
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Redrobo said:

Leuth said:

Redrobo said:

Leuth said:

watch it again .. when Ajose crosses there are three (go on count em) defenders between Stevenson and the goal

• Options
    Been in an hour.
    F@ck me don't we like a moan.
    Before the game wasn't bothered if we got knocked out but in a way glad we didn't.
    As I was saying during the game if all our players were fit and available probably only one of the starting 11 today would be in the team.
    Didn't deserve to lose , let's wait for the draw tomorrow night hopefully a decent away game in the 2nd round, if not happy to lose the replay as I won't be going.
  • Options
    Forgot to add thanks to a fellow lifer for the lift apart from taking a stray home on the way back, who for the 4 hour journey stopped talking for about 5 f@cking minutes.
  • Options

Solidgone said:

written VERY small .. in pencil
    Invisible ink.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Forgot to add thanks to a fellow lifer for the lift apart from taking a stray home on the way back, who for the 4 hour journey stopped talking for about 5 f@cking minutes.

The stray is very grateful to a fellow lifer showing kindness and generosity that another lifer would know nothing about.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

As a past winner you mean.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Redrobo said:

Leuth said:

Redrobo said:

Leuth said:

what about when fosu shot?
  • Options

First of all, winner winner chickpea dinner, had CJ Hamilton to score first at 16/1, won 800 from it.

Now on to the game. I felt Mansfield were unlucky to not win, they had some good players on show, mainly their goal scorer Hamilton (who I predicted on the preview thread btw, tipster here all week) their number 2 who appeared to be playing right wing? And one of their centre backs, think no 4? They weren't a typical lower league side, kept the ball on the ground for the most part and played some clever football at times, we were saved by the post at the end.

Overall, as tragic as it sounds I am happy with the draw, we take them back to the Valley and bring out the big guns and it will be a one sided affair imo. Only Afernee, Sarr, Lapslie, Stevenson and Grant can walk away today with any credit.

Phillips distribution was slow and inaccurate, Maloney looked completely lost but the most disappointing players on the pitch were our experienced trio, Ward, Ajose and Pratley. All 3 absolutely useless. Pratley can barely pass the ball and has the turn of a fridge freezer, Ward just offered nothing and Ajose. Ajose is the worst striker at Charlton in a long time imo, I think Tucudean and Makienok were both better. He was lazy, slow, disinterested, lacking of any intelligent moves and he didn't even pressure their defense. We deserve better than to have a striker that lazy playing for us.

Final note Bowyer has had a bit of a stinker with the selections today, he should have played a full strength team, this was a good opportunity with the break coming up, now we have to play Mansfield, Bristol Rovers and Burton all in a week? I don't think players like Aribo and Bielik needed a rest. Hopefully we beat them on the replay anyway and have a decent ish run, hats off to the Stags for playing football how it should be

Err is that not £8 you won ? Not £800 ?