Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Coventry | Sat 06 Oct | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Coventry City
Saturday 6th October 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Bent Owner (Lancashire)

Introduction

Charlton return to the Valley this weekend with mixed emotions… A draw at Luton last Saturday was followed up on Tuesday night with a trip to Lincolnshire – Facing Scunthorpe on their own turf was always going to be a difficult game, yet to score three goals away from home and still come away with nothing is always going to be tough to take. It means that our unbeaten run of six games is over; thankfully results didn’t go against Charlton in midweek so a large gap hasn’t yet formed from the leaders…

This Saturday Lee Bowyer and his side place the last League game before our first International Break of the season, next week will be a chance for our rivals to begin to open that gap so it’ll be important we don’t let that happen even more as we play hosts to Coventry City

The Opposition
Name: Coventry City | Manager: Mark Robins
Ground: Ricoh Arena

Life as a Charlton and Coventry fan must go in tandem, both have a set of owners who care little for their clubs and because of that will struggle to challenge at this level of English Football – Two years ago; Coventry would be relegated to the fourth tier for the first time since 1958, thankfully (like back then) the spell in that tier would only last for the season, with Coventry this time round returning to League One thanks to a dominate Play-Off Final win over Exeter City.

The return to League One has been difficult for Mark Robins and his side yet the club are adapting… The sale of James Maddison from Norwich to Leicester would help in the transfer market with seven undisclosed signings incoming to the club – Last weekend would see Coventry earning a deserved draw with Sunderland (It should have been better had Conor Chaplin shown better composure at the death), like any game at this level, this one won’t be easy!!

Managers comments: Mark Robins appeared optimistic after his side lost 1-0 to Portsmouth on Tuesday and expects another big game yet is “a good one to have” – Robins feels that Dom Hyam will miss the game on Saturday yet Conor Chaplin will return to the side having been ineligible midweek against his parent club. Coventry do seem to be down to the bare bones and may be forced to put a 17-year old on the bench

Charlton Team News
For Lee Bowyer it’s not much different… Defeat at Scunthorpe wouldn’t have been helped by the fact that Lewis Page was forced off within five minutes and will be a definite miss until after the International Break – It was confirmed today that Krystian Bielik has returned to full training so we should expect Naby Sarr to move out to full back as we are once against forced to play a makeshift defence.

In other areas; Darren Pratley will once again be missing through suspension after picking up a soft yellow card on Tuesday night – You’d expect Ben Reeves to slip back into the Midfield in his absence… Jamie Ward is another who has missed the last two games, having been selected for Northern Ireland duty you’d hope he’ll be back in contention on Saturday, whilst his Irish compatriot (albeit Republic of Ireland); Billy Clarke has finally returned to full training yet will be a few weeks before we see him in League action

Steer
Solly | Bielik | Pearce | Sarr
Aribo | Cullen | Reeves
Fosu
Taylor | Grant

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dijksteel | Lapslie | Morgan | Marshall | Vetokele | Ajose

Prediction
As already mentioned it’s important that Charlton don’t let a gap open between them and the sides above them and dropping points right before the International Break will no doubt do that – With one defeat and one draw in Lee Bowyer’s recent block of nine games its vital we start picking up wins (beginning on Saturday) to achieve the latest target

Comments

• Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Steer
    Taylor
    Aribo | Cullen | Reeves
    Fosu
    Grant
  • clb74 said:

Steer
    Taylor
    Aribo | Cullen | Reeves
    Fosu
    Grant

Bit harsh on Taylor to play him as a sweeper
  • Another Desmond

2-2

after being two down .

Taylor & Lapslie
  • clb74 said:

Steer
    Taylor
    Aribo | Cullen | Reeves
    Fosu
    Grant

He plays everywhere apart from goalie and centre forward
  • clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Steer
    Taylor
    Aribo | Cullen | Reeves
    Fosu
    Grant

How comes he keeps scoring then.
  • 2.1 Charlton is about as good a result to expect at the moment.
    So Charlton 2 Coventry 1 it is.
  • clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Steer
    Taylor
    Aribo | Cullen | Reeves
    Fosu
    Grant

Centre forward is not the only place you can score from.
    From memory aribo got 2 and he doesn't play centre forward
  • clb74 said:

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Steer
    Taylor
    Aribo | Cullen | Reeves
    Fosu
    Grant

And who set Aribo up for his goals.
  • clb74 said:

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Steer
    Taylor
    Aribo | Cullen | Reeves
    Fosu
    Grant

And who set Aribo up for his goals.
    I will do a Taylor watch Saturday.
    But for me a player whose up and down the pitch and putting in more crosses in the box than is on the end of is not playing centre forward
  • Sponsored links:

• The ref is Bent
    3-2 Charlton
  • I think Bows made a mistake in playing a diamond at Scunthorpe when we have a defence with issues. The main one being Pearce on the RHS of CD. Page being out makes it even more fragile.

I am therefore hoping that we play a flat 4-4-2 and only change that if we need too.
  • Someone is due a bashing.
    I predict Coventry.
    5-1
  • Someone is due a bashing.
    I predict Coventry.
    5-1

Hope so - My Manager is being a pain in the arse and he supports Coventry!!
  • Way things are at the moment
    7-5
  • Another Desmond

2-2

after being two down .

Taylor & Lapslie

Yep, reckon a Desmond as well.
  • Home win but only just, 2-1.
  • 2-0 Grant and Taylor. Plus ca change plus c’est la meme chose.
  • edited October 2018
    Bieliek back 3-1
  • 2-1 to Charlton in another close game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Depends who we can put out in defence. Could be a real problem.

1-1
  • I don't wanna sound like Michael Owen here but we will have to outscore them cause I don't think we will keep many clean sheets until Bauer is back. I'm going 3-1 Charlton, had a look at Coventry's recent results and they seem a bit random, beat Barnsley at home and drew to Sunderland but lost to Rochdale and Bristol Rovers recently as well. They've had less than 10 shots every game on the road other than when they played Gillingham away where they managed just the 26, so you would think they will try and come to the Valley and look to frustrate us based on the other games.

I've noticed they have Jonson Clarke-Harris on their books who we were heavily linked with a few seasons back so I reckon he will score theirs.

• First game back in the Valley for me since losing 0:1 to Sunderland 13/02/1993 just before moving to Aus. Yeah I know... no excuses... better late...

3:1 Charlton followed by sprint to Heathrow, back for the Barnsley game.

Lllleeeaaaabbbbuuuurrrrnnnnnnnn
  • clb74 said:

Steer
    Taylor
    Aribo | Cullen | Reeves
    Fosu
    Grant

Got the hair for it
  • My advice to them will be to attack us. I suspect they will show us a lot of respect and sit back and then it is going to be a question of whether we have our shooting boots on. I think we will win this by a couple of goals.
  • Jacko to come put of retirement and play left back for appearance 500?
  • will be good to see how we bounce back from a loss like we received on Tuesday, in all honesty you cant ship 3 and expect to draw - letting in 5 there is no excuse, tighten up defence and no reason we cannot really kick on. expecting a narrow 1-0 win.
  • Have a Coventry supporting mate who attends regularly. Says they are terrible up top but pretty solid, whether that plays into our hands or not I’m not sure. I’d imagine they will sit tight and try hit us on the break, if we can get the early goal I think it could be comfortable.
  • Hoping for a win and a clean sheet.
  • Midlands powerhouses will be just too strong for us. Can't see past a 0-5 defeat.