Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Coventry | Sat 06 Oct | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    3 home games now on the spin. Have to win them all (or very least 2 wins & a draw) so going with a 2-0 win. Taylor & Reeves.
  • Options
    Just keep the ball away from our 18 yard box
  • Options
    The first time in nearly four years I've been optimistic about a Charlton fixture and we lost 5.3.

Taylor to miss two pens.
  • Options
    Can't see us keeping a clean sheet which is worrying. At the same time we have enough up front (and in midfield) to keep Coventry on the back foot. But, as always, players have to make the right decisions and we have to be clinical and take our chances. A narrow win or a frustrating draw.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Can't see us keeping a clean sheet which is worrying. At the same time we have enough up front (and in midfield) to keep Coventry on the back foot. But, as always, players have to make the right decisions and we have to be clinical and take our chances. A narrow win or a frustrating draw.

Good teams are built on a solid defence and we don't have one. I'm still not clear how much is down to the formation and how much the players?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    This wont be easy, I work in Coventry and have many Cov City supporting friends. They lack firepower, that's for sure, but do seem quite solid at the back. They will be supported by a large following, word up here is in excess of 2500, but with the weather forecast to be shit perhaps some will stay at home. Most of their games have been close encounters with the results being mainly by the off goal either way. I think we'll win, but it won't be a walkover so my prediction is either 2-1, or 2-0.
    By the way the ref is Ben Toner, or, if said quickly, - Bent Owner!! Both clubs seem to have one!!

Edit -: Just seen my remark about the ref is in the opening post...apologies
  • Options
    I think the midfield of Fish Reeves Cullen and Aribo is too lightweight. I would star with Dijksteel and Cullen centre mid with Aribo and Fosu on the wings.
    Reeves and Ward can both be impact subs.
  • Options
    Charlton to win from behind. Hoping for a 4-1!
  • Options
    Lots of quotes coming from the club about scoring for fun and loads of goals in this team , so I reckon 1 - 0 Charlton, from Taylor.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

I think the midfield of Fish Reeves Cullen and Aribo is too lightweight. I would star with Dijksteel and Cullen centre mid with Aribo and Fosu on the wings.
    Reeves and Ward can both be impact subs.

I'd like Lapslie in there running around like he is one and a half players!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have been thoroughly spoilt lately on a Saturday by the Addicks. Whistling happily round the flat after a win, even digging out highlights on TV and EVEN tempted to watch MOTD (whilst skipping the Stripey cnuts game of course...)

So. I expect a kick in the nads and they won't stop swinging till Tuesday!

1-2
  • Options
    First match in over a year bound to be a disappointing defeat!
  • Options
    Steer
    Solly Bielik Pearce Sarr
    Cullen
    Reeves Aribo
    Fosu
    Taylor Grant

Phillips, Dijksteel, Marshall, Morgan, Lapslie, Vetokele, Ajose

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Coventry City
    Fosu
    Taylor
  • Options

addick05 said:

Good teams are built on a solid defence and we don't have one. I'm still not clear how much is down to the formation and how much the players?
    I think a lot of that is down to having Bauer and Bielik out, and Page carrying a knock in recent weeks. We were conceding goals with the back five as well so I don't necessarily think it's down to the formation.

That said hadn't we only conceded 10/11 up until Scunny? It's not a terrible record by any stretch. I think it just felt like we'd conceded more as we had a tendency to concede at inopportune times.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Steer
    Solly Bielik Pearce Sarr
    Cullen
    Reeves Aribo
    Fosu
    Taylor Grant

Fosu
    Taylor
    Bows has said Bielik won’t start so I am expecting the same back four as finished the game Tuesday, although personally I would prefer Dijksteele at righthand side CD.

Also think a flat 4 in midfield would make us stronger defensively.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Sage said:

Steer
    Solly Bielik Pearce Sarr
    Cullen
    Reeves Aribo
    Fosu
    Taylor Grant

Fosu
    Taylor
    Bows has said Bielik won’t start so I am expecting the same back four as finished the game Tuesday, although personally I would prefer Dijksteele at righthand side CD.

Thanks, haven’t heard or read anything from Bowyer about tomorrow. Will be interested to see what he goes for. Marshall starting to help sure up the midfield defensively could work.
  • Options
    back on track with a few lessons learnt we hope .. left back will be a worry .. Sarr is NOT the answer either long or short term

CAFC 2 v Coventry City 0
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Sage said:

Steer
    Solly Bielik Pearce Sarr
    Cullen
    Reeves Aribo
    Fosu
    Taylor Grant

Fosu
    Taylor

The problem with the flat four in midfield is that we've been overrun in the the center of the park when we've played it. I also don't think it gets the best out of Reeves, Aribo, or Fosu.

I'm personally of the belief that Tuesday was an anomaly. It was a very strange game for many reasons. But I don't think we're likely to have that open and stretched a game very often in this league. Also, if we'd taken a couple more chances it might have been enough to see us past them, it was really they took their chances and we didn't. So I'm trying not to read too much into that.

I think bringing Reeves back into the side will help us control that midfield more. I personally see Pratley as a liability, especially when playing at the base of the diamond. Putting Cullen back there will help us build from the back and having Reeves there helps keep possession and links midfield and attack, plus he can do a job as a tactically disciplined right side of the diamond providing cover for Dijksteel.

I agree with you it's worth considering Dijksteel at RCB. It's a natural position for him, and doing that means we're only playing one player out of position, Sarr, instead of three, Solly, Pearce, and Dijksteel. I'm not convinced Dijksteel is a CB at this level in the long run, and Sarr has largely been good there and his passing helps us build from the back, but for one match at home against a team in midtable I think Dijksteel could handle it.

I also don't think a game before a two week break is the time to start mixing and matching tactically. Bowyer will have two weeks after this to work with the players. So for me it should either be keeping the diamond or going to a 3-5-2 and bringing Marshall in at LWB, with either Solly or Dijksteel at RWB and the other at RCB.

For me:
    .........................Steer
    Dijksteel Pearce(C) Sarr Solly
    .......................Cullen
    .............Reeves........Aribo
    .......................Fosu
    ..................Grant ...Taylor
  • Options
    It looks like Bowyer doesn't fancy Marshall, I think he's been very good at tracking back and would add cover to either right or left. Think this will be a bit more of a test than it ought to be
  • Options
    If there is any doubt over Bielek's fitness, he must stay on the bench, imho. Better to suffer one more game with a very makeshift defence and then have him back for the next few months, than have him break down again and face the next few months with only 2 centre backs and one full back.

-----------------Phillips

-------Solly------Pearce------Sarr

Iron-Willy------------------------Reeves

----------Cullen--------Aribo

-----------------Fosu

-------Grant------------Taylor

Hope for the best and try to score more the inevitable 2 or more we will concede.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

If there is any doubt over Bielek's fitness, he must stay on the bench, imho. Better to suffer one more game with a very makeshift defence and then have him back for the next few months, than have him break down again and face the next few months with only 2 centre backs and one full back.

-----------------Phillips

-------Solly------Pearce------Sarr

Iron-Willy------------------------Reeves

----------Cullen--------Aribo

-----------------Fosu

-------Grant------------Taylor

Hope for the best and try to score more the inevitable 2 or more we will concede.

Yes I think the lesson from Page is if you play players when they're carrying a knock they break down.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Way things are at the moment
    7-5

As long as it’s 3pts, I don’t care if we score 1 or 10 to get back to winning ways
  • Options
    Need to bounce back quick from Tues and get a good result before the international break. Problem is they do not concede many and we do. 1-1 draw leaves us all a.bit frustrated.
  • Options
    A nervous 2-1 win - likely with 8 mins stoppage time!

I'll be there tomorrow, my first game of the season.
  • Options
    rananegra said:

It looks like Bowyer doesn't fancy Marshall, I think he's been very good at tracking back and would add cover to either right or left. Think this will be a bit more of a test than it ought to be

And to be fair, based on his, at best, very mediocre performances for us, why should Bowyer fancy Marshall? He's has done very little in a Charlton shirt to justify his selection.
  • Options
    We're gonna score one more than you. COYAs comfortable one nil to us we score 96th minute. Simple
  • Options
    Another 2-1 home win .
  • Options
    Was attending a funeral wake at the Holiday Inn Black Prince this afternoon when the Coventry team bus rolled in. Was tempted to order a few alarm calls for 0200 but decided that would be childish and befitting only a man in drink (I was sober as I was on driving duty). State of the traffic this afternoon I reckon they will need to be up at 0200 tomorrow to get to the Valley in time in any case.
  • Options
    Every away team used to stay at the Marriott in Bexleyheath. When did that change?

Been to Holiday Inn at Bexley a few times - it ain’t great, on the plus side it does have a big car park ..... and that’s about it !

#publeague