Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Peterborough | Tue 21 Aug | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Peterborough United
Tuesday 21st August 2018 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: James Linington (Newport)

Introduction

As mentioned in my last preview; Charlton are now in period of facing three fixtures in a week… Saturday was the first, a trip to Accrington for the first time since 1924 which saw a rejuvenated Karlan Grant scoring his second goal of the season, unfortunately that first clean sheet of the season is still missing and Accrington would fight back to get a deserved point.

This Tuesday night sees Charlton playing the first of two home games in quick succession – The bright lights of the midweek floodlights return to the Valley for the first time this season as we play host to Peterborough United.

The Opposition
Name: Peterborough United | Manager: Steve Evans
Ground: London Road

When the fixture list was announced in June, it was clear that Charlton’s start wasn’t going to be easy – Three of our first four opening games were probably the hardest imaginable yet Lee Bowyer appears to be handling them well given the situation that the club is currently under, and four points is not to be sniffed at

With Peterborough coming to the Valley we play host to a side who taught us a Footballing lesson both home and away last season, despite stealing a point at the former, no Charlton fan can say it was deserved and fans should expect no differently tomorrow night…

With Steve Evans at the helm, Peterborough have a Manager who is only bettered by Neil Warnock in terms of promotions so you can expect the Posh to be challenging come next May… Its no surprise that Jack Marriott has departed for the Championship, yet his goals have been replaced by one time Charlton target: Matt Godden and Jason Cummings who’ll no doubt cause issues for our defence, whilst Siriki Dembele will be the one to watch, signed from Grimsby in the summer, his blistering pace caused endless issues for the Luton defence on Saturday and looks to be yet another lower league steal.

Charlton Team News
Since taking charge; Lee Bowyer has certainly kept fans guessing with his formation – Under previous managers the formations have been rigid and set in their ways yet using the limited players at his disposal Lee has been able to change from 4-4-2 to 3-5-2 depending on the situation at hand.

I imagine that the team setup tomorrow will be set around the former, with the likes of Dembele and Marcus Maddison (coming back into the fold), Peterborough will try to exploit any gaps created which will be all the more when the wing backs try to get forwards – George Lapslie has impressed this season yet could be dropped to the bench to allow a more set formation with Mark Marshall coming back into the side

Yet this is Lee Bowyer, only he knows what he’s planning and he ain’t telling... It is what it is!!

Phillips
Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Page
Marshall | Bielik | Pratley
Aribo
Grant | Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Steer | Dijksteel | Lapslie | Morgan | Maloney | Ajose | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
Based on their results so far; Peterborough are high scoring side yet like Charlton have yet to keep a clean sheet this season – Its going to be a big ask to win tomorrow night and think it’ll be a bit too much for our depleted side. Based on previous results though Bowyer does seem to know how to win the harder games so don’t be too surprised if three points are gained!!

Comments

• I fear it will be our first home defeat. Peterborough are going to be very strong this year
  • I don't expect much - if Peterborough are any good we'll get turned over.

3-1to the Posh.

• With the game on Saturday with so many younger players we could well get tired towards the end of the game.
    Posh have a lot of attacking pace and are playing with confidence. We need genuine leadership tomorrow and I wonder who will drive the team on and not allow players under pressure to disappear into individual bubbles.
    I fear for us tomorrow, we are one point behind target, lose and we are four points behind after only four games.
  • If we can’t beat Accrington (and a draw was probably about right) then we are going to struggle against a decent Peterborough side.
  • seth plum said:

With the game on Saturday with so many younger players we could well get tired towards the end of the game.
    Posh have a lot of attacking pace and are playing with confidence. We need genuine leadership tomorrow and I wonder who will drive the team on and not allow players under pressure to disappear into individual bubbles.
    I fear for us tomorrow, we are one point behind target, lose and we are four points behind after only four games.

What target is this? I'm just hoping we stay up this season so we need over 50 points to do this.
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.

Nothing would please me more against this lot

Its laughable to think we used to be Peterborough's bogey team with a 4-0 etc. scoreline being a regular thing
  • seth plum said:

With the game on Saturday with so many younger players we could well get tired towards the end of the game.

What target is this? I'm just hoping we stay up this season so we need over 50 points to do this.
    My target is three points at home, one away, but I take your point. If you target survival rather than promotion (and on that I agree with Bowyer) then you get relegated. A lesson Duchatelet never learned.
  • I have the same feeling that I had before the Wigan home game last year. Hopefully I'm proven wrong this time :/
  • edited August 2018
    Predicting a defeat here unfortunately. The side hasn't bedded in yet, and we're weak in a couple of positions.
    1-2
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2018
    I was looking forward to this game but just can't get down to London today or tomorrow, so will have to wait for the away game in January .. as @ForeverAddickted writes, Steve Evans, like or loath him, is a VERY successful manager and his teams always mix skill and steel in their approach. They are always hard to beat at this level.

Whatever, I have a good feeling about this and am sure that we will rise to the occasion .. no more than an optimistic 'feeling' ..
    I hope that there is a decent gate tomorrow and that the fans get behind the team .. as I wrote on another post, this game will tell us a lot about us, the Posh and the division as a whole. Potentially we are as good as any and better than most

CAFC 3 v Peterborough United 1
  • Even with Forster-Caskey our midfield has been flaky for several years, and I've yet to be convinced about Pratley and Lapslie. I can see Posh brushing us aside - 0-2.
  • On paper, this looks a bit of a tough one and atm I’m not that hopeful but come tomorrow night, fortified with a pint or two and being in the ground no doubt i and all the other charlton fans there will put a bit of extra effort into our support that might just make the difference and we all go home wondering why we doubted we would win
  • Billy Bunter Evans knows how to set a side up so draw at best I’m afraid, 2-2 and that’s being optimistic.
  • Think we will lose this 0-3, as others have said similar to Wigan at home last year. Hoping Fosu is back soon as we lack any attacking creativity without him.

Be tempted to start Albie Morgan, he looks the most likely to make things happen from a flair perspective in the final third. Peterborough will be right up there come the end of the season.
  • My team would be:

Phillips/Steer

Bielik Bauer Sarr

Lapslie Aribo Pratley Page

Morgan

Grant Taylor

According to reports lapslie looked good at right wing back a few games ago, don't think Marshall is good enough and Solly struggles in a more advanced position.
  • Having watched the game at Accrington I cannot see past a defeat I'm afraid.
    We are desperately short of creativity at the moment and Peterborough are bang in form.
    Hopefully I'm wrong.
  • Based on current form, it's hard to see anything other than a Posh win (say 2-0). Our current midtable position is a reflection of our team at the moment, all we can do is hope that when the injured players return we start rising up the table
  • I have the same feeling that I had before the Wigan home game last year. Hopefully I'm proven wrong this time :/

Me too. Going, but almost resigned to losing.

• Hoping to take the boy to his first midweek game if I can get out of The City , home and back to London quick enough.

Peterbro look strong so far, very quick winger who looked a handful against Luton so don’t see us winning this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Based on current form, it's hard to see anything other than a Posh win (say 2-0). Our current midtable position is a reflection of our team at the moment, all we can do is hope that when the injured players return we start rising up the table

I suspect it’s games like Accrington where the players themselves come away knowing what wasn’t quite good enough and what needs putting right.
  • Can't see past a 0-5 defeat.
  • Little sub plot is the captain of Peterborough, Alex Woodyard, is a boyhood Charlton fan and was released from the Academy at 16. He used to have a season ticket with his dad in the North Upper. Never scores so no doubt he'll bag a worldy tomorrow night....
  • 93Addick said:

Little sub plot is the captain of Peterborough, Alex Woodyard, is a boyhood Charlton fan and was released from the Academy at 16. He used to have a season ticket with his dad in the North Upper. Never scores so no doubt he'll bag a worldy tomorrow night then remember where he is and give away a penalty in front of the covered end to set up a home win

Fixed it for you...
  • Hard to see beyond a comfortable away win logically but maybe, just maybe plucky little Charlton Athletic will have a special night to remember under The Valley lights against one of the giants of this division
  • LenGlover said:

Hard to see beyond a comfortable away win logically but maybe, just maybe plucky little Charlton Athletic will have a special night to remember under The Valley lights against one of the giants of this division

We now see Pboro as a big team!
  • LenGlover said:

Hard to see beyond a comfortable away win logically but maybe, just maybe plucky little Charlton Athletic will have a special night to remember under The Valley lights against one of the giants of this division

We now see Pboro as a big team!
    Right or wrong I wil always struggle to see it that way but recent results against them don't reflect that.
  • se9addick said:

If we can’t beat Accrington (and a draw was probably about right) then we are going to struggle against a decent Peterborough side.

Football doesn't always work like that.

• I would definitely go 3-5-2 with Page as one wingback and either Marshall or possibly Dijksteel as the other. Dijksteel is not a natural fullback, let alone a wingback, but he seems to be first choice cover at RB nonetheless. I have to say I kind of feel for him. I think Bielik is a good addition and we need squad depth, but center back and that sitting defensive midfield roles are both more natural positions for Dijksteel. I feel like he might be a victim of his own success at RB. And even though he hasn't been brilliant getting forward from right back, let alone wingback, his technical ability on the ball means that he can easily maintain possession and play out from the back.

I'd play Bielik in front of the defense and give Pratley more room to roam, and then give Aribo the free role. I think Solly has looked quite good as a center back in a back three, and I don't think it's a coincidence that in that role he has a lot less running to do.

Peterborough, despite losing some really good players, have done that thing where they seem to have bought all the best players from the lower leagues. I think that approach can have a ceiling, but it may be that that ceiling is in the Championship.