Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MK Dons v Charlton | Tue 14 Aug | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Milton Keynes Dons v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 14th August 2018 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Football League Cup – Round One

Introduction

So that’s three points gained from the first two games of the season… Not a bad return when you consider the standard of the opposition played so far meaning if those injured can return soon before we lose any more players then it may not be the awful season that a handful of fans predicted – Yet as per tradition it’s time to take a brief break from league action, Lee Bowyer will now take his young Charlton side up the M1 to face Milton Keynes Dons in what is the first cup campaign of the season!!

The Opposition
Name
: Milton Keynes Dons | Manager: Paul Tisdale
Ground: Stadium:MK

Whilst both clubs were relegated from the Championship together it’s been no real surprise that neither were able to mount a serious promotion attempt to return to the second tier… Both sides have sacked and hired new men to try and fix the issue, and in one case there was even an ex-MK Dons man coming to Charlton (it didn’t work out, and all we got was ear ache!!)

Last season though saw MK Dons relegated back to League Two last season it certainly came as no surprise seeing that our opponents never looked like surviving in the first place… Over the summer they’ve had yet another managerial change, but on this occasion it looks like it may work; Paul Tisdale is probably the best at this level and is due to his loyalty at Exeter that he’s not managed any higher than League One!!

Their start has been as expected, with maximum points gained against fellow relegated sides in Oldham and Bury – It would be a surprise if Lee Bowyer took tomorrow’s game seriously, yet even if he does, there would be no guarantees of a win even without our injury problems!!

Charlton Team News
Following the press conference on Saturday afternoon we received the tweet from Louis Mendez which confirmed that Charlton will be fielding a team of U23s tomorrow with a handful of first-teamers which naturally means the squad will be pretty unchanged from the one against Shrewsbury.

After having an impressive pre-season, it came as no surprise to see Albie Morgan making his debut from the bench and am sure that us Charlton fans will get to enjoy his potential at least until the January Transfer Window. Having been forced to utilise a number of inexperienced players over pre-season it’ll be interesting to see which other youth players get a run out… The Goalkeeper situation will certainly be a position to watch tomorrow with new loanee: Jed Steer potentially getting a chance to dislodge Dillon Phillips who has performed relatively well to date

Steer
Sarr | Bauer | Blumberg
Dijksteel | Maloney | Morgan | Aribo | Grant
Ajose | Hackett-Fairchild

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Lapslie | Stevenson | Pratley | Taylor | Doughty

Prediction
With so many injures I’d be surprised if anyone cares about winning tomorrow night yet it’ll be a good opportunity for the likes of Taylor Maloney and Albie Morgan to gain some much needed experience… Fully expect Charlton to put up a good fight yet eventually expect MK Dons to be a little bit too much for us

Comments

• se9addick said:

I wouldn’t pick anyone that’s even remotely close to the starting XI for this one, if that means fielding a team of teenagers then so be it. Injuries to Bauer or Sarr now would be a disaster and Grant has worked incredibly hard the past two matches.

Yeah its because the Defence is so naff that I couldnt think of who else to put in there (Stevenson and Mascoll perhaps?) yet full agree with Sarr and Bauer being rested for that reason - Would keep Grant in the side as again who would you put on the wing in his place (Doughty) yet also because he's had such a good start, think it would be good to keep the momentum going

This game and our CheckaTrade games show how thin even our bloody U23 squad is though when we dont really have anyone else to call upon!!
  • I have to disagree with your comments on MKD, it came as quite a shock for them to be relegated to L2, especially as they probably had the best ground in L1 last season, and a decent academy etc

A tough match, given our paper thin squad. And a boring one, considering how often we've played them in recent years both in the league and the FA Cup!
  • edited August 2018

I have to disagree with your comments on MKD, it came as quite a shock for them to be relegated to L2, especially as they probably had the best ground in L1 last season, and a decent academy etc

Agree in the respect that you mention i.e. a club that size it is a shock

Yet they never looked like they would get themselves to safety once we entered the second half of the season and just nose dived at the turn of the year

I thought them appointing Dan Micciche was brave (and really wanted it to work) in January yet quickly proved the risk hadnt paid off
  • I have to disagree with your comments on MKD, it came as quite a shock for them to be relegated to L2, especially as they probably had the best ground in L1 last season, and a decent academy etc

Agree in the respect that you mention i.e. a club that size it is a shock

Yet they never looked like they would get themselves to safety once we entered the second half of the season and just nose dived at the turn of the year

I thought them appointing Dan Micciche was brave (and really wanted it to work) in January yet quickly proved the risk hadnt paid off
    Yes, that was a flawed appointment

It has to be said that their owner has kept a pretty tight hold on the transfer and wages budget too
  • I am really looking forward to this because it gives the youngsters a chance without the pressure of a league game.

Thought maybe Cummings and Mascoll might feature.

• Is it actually good experience?
  • thought LB said after the Shrewsbury match that the only 1st team player involved would be Ajose, the rest under 23s which I guess includes Morgan etc
  • Most important game of the season so far. Been looking forward to this one for a while
  • Sponsored links:

• It would be nice to get a bit of a cup run but I'm more concerned about not picking up any more injuries.
  • Most important game of the season so far. Been looking forward to this one for a while

I share your anticipation Josh, this is the first fixture I look for at the beginning of the season!
  • Personally wouldn’t risk Solly, Bauer, Page, Pratley, Aribo, Grant, Taylor

Not sure that is possible though given the size of the squad.

Sarr needs game time so would still pick him even though it’s a risk he might get a knock but we are all confident a top class centre back will be coming on loan aren’t we..

Love a cup run but it definitely doesn’t suit us this season
  • Can the club get fined for putting out a weakened side by the football league in this competition?
  • There’s no way Grant will be playing wing-back! Very much doubt he’ll play, either.
  • Personally wouldn’t risk Solly, Bauer, Page, Pratley, Aribo, Grant, Taylor

Not sure that is possible though given the size of the squad.

Sarr needs game time so would still pick him even though it’s a risk he might get a knock but we are all confident a top class centre back will be coming on loan aren’t we..

Love a cup run but it definitely doesn’t suit us this season

Solly and Page definitely, we know about Solly's knees and to be wearing a head bandage a week after the incident suggests a pretty serious cut. Page has looked shagged after both our league matches

Not sure about the others, it depends on whether they need rest or whether game time might be useful. I think Bowyer would still like to win this game, so may put the likes of Aribo and Taylor on the bench. Ideally we wouldn't play Bauer, but we still need some experience at the back, and such a game shouldn't be too physically tough, it's not as if MKD under Tisdale are going to be a physical, dirty side.
  • We are on how way to Wembley 2-0 to the Charlton u18's

• Following the press conference on Saturday afternoon we received the tweet from Louis Mendez which confirmed that Charlton will be fielding a team of U23s tomorrow with a handful of first-teamers which naturally means the squad will be pretty unchanged from the one against Shrewsbury.

I thought the first team was the U23s with a couple of over-age players!
  • Have we still got that Sarmiento lad? Give him a run out
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

I'd go something like
    .............. ...AMB
    Dijksteel Yao Blumberg Mascoll
    Morgan Maloney Lapslie Doughty
    ......... Hackett Ajose

I'd love to see Dijksteel in Central midfield one of these days, but given the illness I think playing at RB, or even CB (a position he's played a lot more than RB) with Yao at RB, is a better way to ease him back in.

I'd put Lapslie in the center of midfield because even though he's worked very hard I think he still has a lot to learn when it comes to calmness and Composure, Which will come with experience. And this is a good chance to let him play central midfield in a senior game.

Would start AMB just to give him the senior experience as well. Steer had a full preseason, I don't know that he'd gain much of anything from this, whereas Maynard-Brewer would I believe be making his senior debut.

100% agree with this, also means we don't start the likes of Grant who if injured in a meaningless game would be a big loss.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • a game that either side could do without - i have always hated teams that dont put out strong sides in cups as for me i would love a big london premier league club away day, but sadly modern football and wanky owners doesnt permit it.

cant even predict this one as dont know the strength of the mk side being put out.
  • I still think we've got the confidence to go get a result, i can't see MK putting out a full strength side as they will want to get out of league 2

• Steer
    Sarr | Bauer | Blumberg
    Dijksteel | Maloney | Morgan | Aribo | Grant
    Ajose | Hackett-Fairchild

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Lapslie | Stevenson | Pratley | Taylor | Doughty

Prediction
    With so many injures I’d be surprised if anyone cares about winning tomorrow night yet it’ll be a good opportunity for the likes of Taylor Maloney and Albie Morgan to gain some much needed experience… Fully expect Charlton to put up a good fight yet eventually expect MK Dons to be a little bit too much for us
    A sentence that sums up perfectly just how far we've fallen under this ownership.
  • We do do cup matches. End of.