Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MK Dons v Charlton | Tue 14 Aug | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Wemberly here we come

Fact.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Wemberly here we come

Fact.

Jubilee or Metropolitan line ? :wink: .
  • Options
    I was confident on Saturday and I think we have a great bunch of young lads, so 1-2 win
  • Options
    Don’t think it’s fair what he is doing to Ajose at the minute. He clearly doesn’t like him but to single him out as the only so called senior player tomorrow seems harsh. We have such a thin squad at the min and before long we may need his assistance.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    weird one this. This IS the League cup after all - not the Checkout trophy. What happens if we get through this round & get a big(ish) club at home.....play the youngsters again ?? There may come a time (not sure when the real big team come in) that we play Arsenal or Spurs .........still the youngsters ??

Yes, we can get injuries - but players can get injured walking downstairs (Taylor) or dropping a jar of beetroot on your foot (Martyn ?)

just hope we lose then as I'd hate to be LB telling the winning players that they wont be in the team to face Spurs.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Nicholas said:

Don’t think it’s fair what he is doing to Ajose at the minute. He clearly doesn’t like him but to single him out as the only so called senior player tomorrow seems harsh. We have such a thin squad at the min and before long we may need his assistance.

We may indeed, so the more game time he gets the better. As for not being fair, is he putting a 100% in training? Let’s see how he gets on tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Steer
    Sarr | Bauer | Blumberg
    Dijksteel | Maloney | Morgan | Aribo | Grant
    Ajose | Hackett-Fairchild

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Lapslie | Stevenson | Pratley | Taylor | Doughty

I'm not sure we'd even start with a 3-5-2 formation.

If the team is largely picked from U23 Development Squad players, I should think we'd use a formation they were truly familiar with. They would know how to make that work. I expect to start 4-4-2 with perhaps Jason Euell along for his input.

Though do let Seth Plum and Dick Plumb know that the match won't be played at Sparrows Lane. :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Steer
    Sarr | Bauer | Blumberg

If the team is largely picked from U23 Development Squad players, I should think we'd use a formation they were truly familiar with. They would know how to make that work. I expect to start 4-4-2 with perhaps Jason Euell along for his input.

Though do let Seth Plum and Dick Plumb know that the match won't be played at Sparrows Lane. :smile:

According to the OS the academy play “The Charlton Way” using a 4-3-3 or midfield diamond formation.

Shame the first team don’t often play “The Charlton Way” :smile:

https://www.cafc.co.uk/club/club-overview/the-academy

The guiding beliefs below form the bedrock of the Academy playing philosophy and style in the ‘Charlton Way’.

In possession

- Individual players to take care of the ball, controlling and passing with a range of good technique
    - Players to understand and be able to create and exploit space, combined with being able to receive and deal with the ball under pressure
    - Team play to focus on passing in/from all thirds of the pitch in a 4-3-3 or midfield ‘diamond’ with high emphasis placed on possession and quick play. Also, recognising counter-attack opportunities

Out of possession

- Players must have the mentality to defend. Defending starts from the front; with high pressing when numbers are available
    - Players must take responsibility for their defending and be difficult to beat in 1v1 situations
    - Players must respond quickly to the loss of possession and recognise when to press and when to drop to establish a compact defensive shape
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    - Players must automatically drop deep with 45 mins to go if leading by one goal
  • Options
    4-3
    Ajose 2 goals
  • Options
    I don’t think it is unfair treatment on Ajose at all. As things stand, he is our only senior player who isn’t injured who hasn’t featured or started either of the league games. He can’t get in the team because of how well Taylor and Grant have done. He is a different type of striker to them both as well so would change how we play with Ajose instead of one of those two.

He gets game time tomorrow in a game without pressure and it gives the players we do have playing for us recently a chance to have a rest again, it is a small squad, even if it is start of season, it’s still a small squad.

Ajose is also a possibility to be off by the end of the month so why would he be involved much in the league, Bowyer has to think far ahead as well and if he isn’t going to be in the plans, so be it. But if he sticks around, getting game time tomorrow is much needed.

I said before that Grant won’t play and neither will Sarr and Bauer and someone LOL the comment, not sure why. We are going to put out the youngest team we ever have tomorrow, and as good as these players are, I don’t think we will get the win, but that is fine by me.
  • Options

Scoham said:
    weird one this. This IS the League cup after all - not the Checkout trophy. What happens if we get through this round & get a big(ish) club at home.....play the youngsters again ?? There may come a time (not sure when the real big team come in) that we play Arsenal or Spurs .........still the youngsters ??

Yes, we can get injuries - but players can get injured walking downstairs (Taylor) or dropping a jar of beetroot on your foot (Martyn ?)

just hope we lose then as I'd hate to be LB telling the winning players that they wont be in the team to face Spurs.
    Teams entering at third round: City, United, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Burnley

Teams entering at second round: Everton, Leicester, Newcastle, Palace, Bournemouth, West Ham, Watford, Brighton, Huddersfield, Southampton, Wolves, Cardiff, Fulham, Swansea, Stoke
  • Options
    Second season in a row we are travelling to a side in the first round of the EFL Cup who are managed by Paul Tisdale.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Ajose is the only "senior" player that needs a game isn't he ?
  • Options
    Something like this then I guess:

Steer
    Dijksteel
    Bowery
    Yao / Cummings / Blumberg
    Mascoll
    Morgan
    Maloney
    Lapslie
    Sarmiento
    Ajose
    Hackett

Bench
    Carey
    Dougherty
    2 of Yao, Cummings or Blumberg
    AMB
    Bowyer
    Jackson

• Options
    Scoham said:

Oggy Red said:

Steer
    Sarr | Bauer | Blumberg

According to the OS the academy play “The Charlton Way” using a 4-3-3 or midfield diamond formation.

Thank you, Scoham. I wasn't aware of that.

It will be interesting to see which formation the team start with tomorrow then!

• Options
    Nicholas said:

He’s selecting him to play a game of football – not clean the clubs toilet block!

I’d suggest that Ajose is on a decent wage, and would probably play in a friendly on the Isle of Man on a Wednesday morning, so long as he keeps getting his weekly bunce.

The real villain in this, is the idiot that agreed to sign Ajose, for that fee and on those wages in the first place.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Do we know why Bowyer has taken this stance with Ajose?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

Nicholas said:

Bowyer expects his teams to be full of running and play at a high tempo.
    Whenever I have seen Ajose play for us he comes across as looking lazy and disinterested.
    I have no idea what he looks like in training but Bowyer clearly doesn't rate him.
  • Options
    Anybody know why Jackson could not have registered as a player this season? Would obviously have been useful for games like this.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Anybody know why Jackson could not have registered as a player this season? Would obviously have been useful for games like this.

Last year he was a coach so much easier to stay match fit and also be one of the lads.

Now he is assistant manager he has other work that will keep him off the training pitch. Also much more difficult to be the encouraging coach and then be part of the decision to drop you.

Sensible decision IMO.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Nicholas said:

Ajose pissed in Bowyer's fishing lake
  • Options

Steer
    Dijksteel
    Bowery
    Mascoll
    Morgan
    Maloney
    Lapslie
    Sarmiento
    Ajose
    Hackett

Bench
    Carey
    Dougherty
    AMB
    Bowyer
    Jackson

Steer
    Dijksteel
    Bowery
    Mascoll
    Morgan
    Maloney
    Lapslie
    Sarmiento
    Ajose
    Hackett

Bench
    Carey
    Dougherty
    AMB
    Bowyer
    Jackson

I wouldn't be surprised if as couple of first teamers were on the bench, e.g. Bauer and Marshall
  • Options
    masicat said:

Because he retired from playing :smile::wink:
  • Options
    When is the draw for the next round?
  • Options
    i know Arsenal will be keen on this cup but like them i think this is probably our only chance of playing in Europe next season
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

When is the draw for the next round?

Tonight, I think on Sky sports.