Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gaucho's going into administration

I'm not overly surprised.
I went to the one at the O2 a few years back and thought it ridiculously expensive for what it was.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/1500-jobs-at-risk-as-steak-chain-gaucho-collapses/ar-AAAf1Qz?li=AA54rU

Comments

• Shame, decent steak there, wouldn't be surprised if they're rescued, they have some good locations
  • A decent steak is ten a penny these days.

They lost their USP a long time ago.

what happens when you try and open multiple branches and the qaulity drops, dont mind cau at blackheath, but gaucho tower bridge was over £200 for 2 courses and a bottle and food was mediocre at best
  • Peter Luger's restaurant in New York is worth a go.

I had a 6 week business trip to New York in my last job and probably ate steak 5 times a week and some of New York's best steakhouses but Peter Luger's was top notch. Made Gaucho seem poncey
  • edited July 2018
    Bodeans at Clapham North is well worth a mention.....Mmmmmmm yummy!
    They also,have several other London locations......though none in SE London.
  • edited July 2018

I blame the Charlton Life vegan thread

Success for the cows!!! What we really need are more vegetarian restaurants.
  • Gaucho's is shit anyway
  • Nothing wrong with a berni inn
  • Sponsored links:

• Hawkmoor is better, and they decided to become a chain, built on debt and the costs of food are sky rocketing
  • Bodeans at Clapham North is well worth a mention.....Mmmmmmm yummy!

Went Bodean's Tower Hill a few weeks back. Filthy inside and overcooked food. Disappointed as heard it was great...
  • A decent steak is ten a penny these days.

what happens when you try and open multiple branches and the qaulity drops, dont mind cau at blackheath, but gaucho tower bridge was over £200 for 2 courses and a bottle and food was mediocre at best
    I'd want proper nosh for £200
  • Rothko said:

Hawkmoor is better, and they decided to become a chain, built on debt and the costs of food are sky rocketing

Hawksmoor is definitely better - London and Manchester.

Nothing touches The Maze Grill in Mayfair though - especially on an expense account!!
  • clb74 said:

A decent steak is ten a penny these days.

I'd want someone to nosh me off, and then some, for £200.

I'm not about paying £200 (of my own money at least) for food. That's way too steep.
  • PopIcon said:

Bodeans at Clapham North is well worth a mention.....Mmmmmmm yummy!

Went Bodean's Tower Hill a few weeks back. Filthy inside and overcooked food. Disappointed as heard it was great...
    So.....over cooked food....Mmmmm that’s highly subjective wouldn’t you say.
    Have used their restaurants for some years on and off and always had a great meal....never failed me yet or the company I was keeping on any occasion.
    Over cooked....what was over cooked....everything, one or two things?
    What did you have, did you eat alone, what was the view of others assuming you had company that is?
    It’s easy to slag a place off and do severe damage to their reputation, without concrete and objective information Poplcon.
    They have a fantastic reputation and not without reason!
    I’m finding it hard to process your judgement in so far as it doesn’t fit in even remotely with my numerous visits and as such I can do nothing but disagree wholeheartedly with your remarks.
  • Gauchos is profitable and will continue, the problem is Cau which is not. They will put Cau into some kind of administration and Gaucho will carry on
  • The best steaks I've ever had are from my butcher and cooked at home how I like it with my favourite sauce.

And they cost a lot less than at a flashy steakhouse.
  • Addickted said:

The best steaks I've ever had are from my butcher and cooked at home how I like it with my favourite sauce.

Oooooh get you....who rattled your cage!
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:

The best steaks I've ever had are from my butcher and cooked at home how I like it with my favourite sauce.

A decent steak should never be served with a sauce.

Agree that a good butchers and knowledge around how to cook your own is very hard to beat.
  • Addickted said:

knowledge around how to cook your own is very hard to beat.
    How should you cook them? I just whack em on the George Foreman and turn them over every couple of mins
  • PaddyP17 said:

clb74 said:

I'd want someone to nosh me off, and then some, for £200.

I'm not about paying £200 (of my own money at least) for food. That's way too steep.
    To be fair I just think he accidentally left the 'a' out between 'want' and 'proper'.
  • shirty5 said:

Nothing wrong with a berni inn

Toby is not bad either.
  • My wife booked a surprise party for my birthday with a lot of family members last year in Gaucho's in the City. I wish I'd had a company credit card with me to pay the bill :neutral:
  • clb74 said:

That's my monthly food bill.
  • TelMc32 said:

My wife booked a surprise party for my birthday with a lot of family members last year in Gaucho's in the City. I wish I'd had a company credit card with me to pay the bill :neutral:

Was you paying the bill the surprise then??? :wink:
    Pretty much!!
  • Shame

10 years ago Gaucho was the place for a posh steak lunch in the City, now there are loads of equally good if not better places where the cheapest bottle of vino isn’t a bullseye