Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gaucho's going into administration

Comments

• There's a steak restaurant in Edinburgh called Beef Encounter. Always put me off, that name
  • edited July 2018
    shirty5 said:

Nothing wrong with a berni inn

Del boy loved them
    Took all his dates there
  • I’ll be in Vegas in a month or two, you guys are giving me some ideas !
  • Must be a London thing, all this talk of flash restaurants and corporate cards. I nearly cry if a meal out comes to more than forty quid for me and Mrs AUN.

#northerntightandproud

Discountvouchercode is my friend.
  • edited July 2018
    Been to Gaucho a couple of times, when other people were paying, and always enjoyed myself. Treated myself and my wife to an anniversary meal at hawksmoor seven dials and that was miles better. Spent just under £200 all in, but didn’t feel ripped off. The service, food, cocktails, wine and the place itself were all blinding! I was a bit disappointed with Roast though, that wasn’t in the same league. If you want a decent lamb chop or ribs, just get yourself down Green lanes. You can pick any one of ten restaraunts and pay about £20 a head inc booze! A quality area of London for meat eaters!
  • Last Sunday I was in Kobe, the home of the world's best beef. I had to try and and it was just so different to every other steak I've eaten: medium rare without a hint of bloody texture despite being very red, so juicy. Probably a once in a lifetime experience so I didn't begrudge the 50p a gram price-tag... and I had one of the less expensive options!

What's this got to do with Gaucho? Nothing really!
  • all cau stores going with gaucho going into administration
  • Only ever paid for a Gaucho meal at the O2. Was excellent value and the ribeye steak was superb.

Previous boss used to take customers to the Canary Wharf branch. Taken a few times so great meals at no cost to me.

Looks like the Gaucho branches will survive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Last Sunday I was in Kobe, the home of the world's best beef. I had to try and and it was just so different to every other steak I've eaten: medium rare without a hint of bloody texture despite being very red, so juicy. Probably a once in a lifetime experience so I didn't begrudge the 50p a gram price-tag... and I had one of the less expensive options!

Miyazaki > Kobe in the Japanese beef league!
  • Apparently they bought some huge yacht in st katharine’s wharf that went completely unused according to my boss. Things like this add up over time
  • se9addick said:

Last Sunday I was in Kobe, the home of the world's best beef. I had to try and and it was just so different to every other steak I've eaten: medium rare without a hint of bloody texture despite being very red, so juicy. Probably a once in a lifetime experience so I didn't begrudge the 50p a gram price-tag... and I had one of the less expensive options!

I have learnt something today. But as I'm unlikely to go to Miyazaki I'll have to make do with Kobe!
  • se9addick said:

Last Sunday I was in Kobe, the home of the world's best beef. I had to try and and it was just so different to every other steak I've eaten: medium rare without a hint of bloody texture despite being very red, so juicy. Probably a once in a lifetime experience so I didn't begrudge the 50p a gram price-tag... and I had one of the less expensive options!

I have learnt something today. But as I'm unlikely to go to Miyazaki I'll have to make do with Kobe!
    Ha, my sister in law lives there and the locals are very protective over their status as Japan’s number 1 steak producers. I had to begrudgingly admit that it probably was the best beef I’d ever tasted.

It’s actually a pretty cool place.
  • So since this thread was started I’ve had a real craving for steak and thought I’d try and follow your tips and do it myself properly for once. Got a couple of decent steaks from the butchers round the corner...
  • edited July 2018
    ...and this is the end result - really nice, cheers for all the tips!
  • Steak nazi.
  • colthe3rd said:

Pretty sure the tips didn't say cook in the pan for 45 minutes.

Thought I’d made a reasonable effort of getting the “crust” right, apologies it wasn’t up to your standards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gauchos is bang average and very expensive. Goodman's in the city I would say is the best, followed by Hawksoor.

In Goodmans if you eat 80 meals in there you get your own silver steak knife that stays in a glass cabinet when you enter, below is your name engraved. Got some big footy names. Alan Brazil loves the steak in there, I've never seen a bloke with a redder face than him.

For the record I've had about 20 meals in there, all on the expense account taking clients. Sadly no silver knife for me
  • se9addick said:

So since this thread was started I’ve had a real craving for steak and thought I’d try and follow your tips and do it myself properly for once. Got a couple of decent steaks from the butchers round the corner...

It looks like you burnt it so much the 2 steaks shrivelled into one ;)
  • robroy said:

Gauchos is bang average and very expensive. Goodman's in the city I would say is the best, followed by Hawksoor.

In Goodmans if you eat 80 meals in there you get your own silver steak knife that stays in a glass cabinet when you enter, below is your name engraved. Got some big footy names. Alan Brazil loves the steak in there, I've never seen a bloke with a redder face than him.

For the record I've had about 20 meals in there, all on the expense account taking clients. Sadly no silver knife for me

I'd say Goodman has slightly nicer steak than Hawksmoor. But for overall dining experience i.e. Starters, sides, drinks, atmosphere, then Hawksmoor is the better one to go to.
  • Went to Goodmans in Canary Wharf last night. Had the 400g fillet. Best steak I’ve ever had.
  • Valley11 said:

Went to Goodmans in Canary Wharf last night. Had the 400g fillet. Best steak I’ve ever had.

Should have come round mines!
  • An advert about Gaucho on a thread about Gaucho's
  • se9addick said:

So since this thread was started I’ve had a real craving for steak and thought I’d try and follow your tips and do it myself properly for once. Got a couple of decent steaks from the butchers round the corner...

Out of interest @se9addick , how much was those two?

Walked through the food court at Marks yesterday and saw a piece of fillet was £6. No word of a lie it was so small you could have fit it on a spoon
  • se9addick said:

Walked through the food court at Marks yesterday and saw a piece of fillet was £6. No word of a lie it was so small you could have fit it on a spoon
    Think they were about £22 in total.
  • se9addick said:

A decent sized bit of fillet from a decent quality moo cow should be about a tenner mate
  • This thread is turning into the antidote to the vegan thread.