Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gaucho's going into administration

124»

Comments

• Have had 3 meals over the years in gauchos and all were pretty good to be fair
  • Just discovered why I’ve never had a decent bit of steak!!

Christ on a bike at those prices
  • Paid £18 for two good sized fillets, worth every penny, delicious
  • se9addick said:

So since this thread was started I’ve had a real craving for steak and thought I’d try and follow your tips and do it myself properly for once. Got a couple of decent steaks from the butchers round the corner...

Out of interest @se9addick , how much was those two?

Walked through the food court at Marks yesterday and saw a piece of fillet was £6. No word of a lie it was so small you could have fit it on a spoon
    The £6 steak in M&S really isnt too bad you know. Stick to the Rib-eye and dont overcook it. Prefer their extra-thick Rib-eye what is about £11-12ish a pack. Not bad at all.
  • Just discovered why I’ve never had a decent bit of steak!!

Christ on a bike at those prices

If you are going to have steak have good quality steak mate, meat that isn't pumped full of saline and is of a decent standard will cost. Treat yourself, you won't eat it every night
  • se9addick said:

...and this is the end result - really nice, cheers for all the tips!

Oh dear!
  • edited July 2018

robroy said:

Gauchos is bang average and very expensive. Goodman's in the city I would say is the best, followed by Hawksoor.

Riviera said:

I very rarely eat steak in restaurants because no one cooks them as well as I do. As far as the high end chains go though I found Goodmans the best in my expense account days.

• Riviera said:

I very rarely eat steak in restaurants because no one cooks them as well as I do. As far as the high end chains go though I found Goodmans the best in my expense account days.

• Huskaris said:

This thread is turning into the antidote to the vegan thread.

I'd say the contrary. We have gotten used to such cheap meat these days that people baulk at the prices you'd pay for a really good piece of meat. I have no problem eating vegetarian for days at a time, I'd rather do that and spend what is needed for a really good steak. Look at the crap you get vacuum packed in supermarkets.