Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

End of season fun. Riddles.

Comments

• Guys, his name is @cuddles. You can't address threads to him, it's bullying.
  • Beat me to it len
  • edited September 2017
    A ladder hangs over the side of a ship tied up in a port.

The bottom rung touches the water.

The distance between rungs is 20 cm and the length of the ladder is 180 cm.

The tide is rising at the rate of 15 cm each hour.

When will the water reach the seventh rung from the top?
  • Dazzler21 said:

A ladder hangs over the side of a ship anchored in a port.

I think you mean the ship is tied up in port, not anchored.
  • edited September 2017

Dazzler21 said:

Easy sailor amended the original post... That's not the answer to the riddle though.
  • ooh, ooh, please sir, I know
  • 0 mph = 15951 ;)

They must have been driving my heap
  • MrOneLung said:

ooh, ooh, please sir, I know

MrOneLung said:

ooh, ooh, please sir, I know

Go on.
  • never - the boat rises along with the water
  • Sponsored links:

• If you know this one, please don't answer and leave it for others to work out.

A man comes out of his tent, walks 200 meters south, sees a bear 200 meters east, shoots the bear, walks over to the bear and drags it 200 meters north back to his starting point.

What colour is the bear?

Did we ever get the answer to this one?

• If you know this one, please don't answer and leave it for others to work out.

A man comes out of his tent, walks 200 meters south, sees a bear 200 meters east, shoots the bear, walks over to the bear and drags it 200 meters north back to his starting point.

What colour is the bear?

White (he's in the North Pole)
  • Thanks Dave. So obvious eh!!
  • Dunno if this has been posted but it's a question that was used in the past in the tests for candidates for posts in RAF intelligence.

A traveller arrives at a fork in the road and is not sure which fork to take. There are two men guarding the routes. One is from the town where all the inhabitants tell the truth and one is from the town where they all tell lies. Which single question can the traveller ask either guard which will allow him to work out which road to take to the town where everyone tells the truth.

Could you not ask them both the time and check your watch?
  • Dunno if this has been posted but it's a question that was used in the past in the tests for candidates for posts in RAF intelligence.

A traveller arrives at a fork in the road and is not sure which fork to take. There are two men guarding the routes. One is from the town where all the inhabitants tell the truth and one is from the town where they all tell lies. Which single question can the traveller ask either guard which will allow him to work out which road to take to the town where everyone tells the truth.

You absolutely could.

You'd still have no idea which fork in the road to take, but there's a strong chance (though not a certainty) you'd know if your watch was right.
  • If I had a red top on, I could ask either one of them if I'm wearing a red top!
  • "A patient goes to see a doctor. The doctor performs a test with 99 percent reliability--that is, 99 percent of people who are sick test positive and 99 percent of the healthy people test negative. The doctor knows that only 1 percent of the people in the country are sick. Now the question is: if the patient tests positive, what are the chances the patient is sick?"

you ask one of them "which way would the other guard say is the way to truth town" then go the other way.
  • IdleHans said:

"A patient goes to see a doctor. The doctor performs a test with 99 percent reliability--that is, 99 percent of people who are sick test positive and 99 percent of the healthy people test negative. The doctor knows that only 1 percent of the people in the country are sick. Now the question is: if the patient tests positive, what are the chances the patient is sick?"

99%, why would a healthy person visit the doctor? Therefore the results for sick people taking the test will apply to this person.
  • I go all the time just to show my cock to the nurse.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2017

Dunno if this has been posted but it's a question that was used in the past in the tests for candidates for posts in RAF intelligence.

you ask one of them "which way would the other guard say is the way to truth town" then go the other way.
    I'd actually ask "Which way to your village" if you're asking the truthful guard he'll point to truthville. If you ask the liar he'll also point to truthville.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Easy sailor amended the original post... That's not the answer to the riddle though.
    I know the answer but it might not work if the ship is anchored.

What colour is the bear?

White (he's in the North Pole)
    Someone told me once it also works if he's at the South Pole but (a) I couldn't work out how and (b) you don't get bears of any colour in the Antarctic.
  • IdleHans said:

"A patient goes to see a doctor. The doctor performs a test with 99 percent reliability--that is, 99 percent of people who are sick test positive and 99 percent of the healthy people test negative. The doctor knows that only 1 percent of the people in the country are sick. Now the question is: if the patient tests positive, what are the chances the patient is sick?"

We had this one on another thread last year.
  • IdleHans said:

I go all the time just to show my cock to the nurse.

What @IdleHans isn't telling us is that it's a male nurse.
  • IdleHans said:

I go all the time just to show my cock to the nurse.

What @IdleHans isn't telling us is that it's a male nurse.
    Touché.
    Or perhaps best not. Serves me right for being unconsciously sexist.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Dunno if this has been posted but it's a question that was used in the past in the tests for candidates for posts in RAF intelligence.

I'd actually ask "Which way to your village" if you're asking the truthful guard he'll point to truthville. If you ask the liar he'll also point to truthville.
    There are subtle differences in the telling of this riddle which can allow loopholes.
    I've never seen it worded that each guard is "from" one route or the other. Usually it's simply "One route is heaven, the other is hell" or something like that. This, I'm afraid, eliminates your excellent answer @Dazzler21 .
    Also, we don't know which one guards which route (i.e. The liar doesn't necessarily guard 'hell') - this eliminates some of the answers like "what color shirt am I wearing".
    The answer is supposed to be "If I asked the other guard...etc", but you have to be careful with the wording to avoid the loopholes.
  • A notebook and pen cost a total of $1.10 (one dollar and ten cents).

The notebook cost $1 more than the pen.

How much was the pen?
  • Blimey, that didn't take long. That's the correct answer of course which probably explains why maths wasn't exactly a top subject.