Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

End of season fun. Riddles.

Comments

• Options
    You can only use the scales once which means only one reading is allowed.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

I've got it. You take 6 bags of coins to a shop and use them to buy better quality scales. Whilst 6 bags of coins is quite a lot to shell out in one go, you recognise that having good quality scales will save you a great deal of time and aggravation in the future.

But what if you pay with the Gold coins !!!
  • Options
    PL54 said:

rina said:

pas, mas, bras, millionaires, billionaires

Why is pas the plural of pass (etc) ?

Princes (above) is certainly correct
    Princes isn't the plural of princess
  • Options
    put 50 on each side. one side goes down. then take a pair of bags off, one from each side, until the weight evens up. the bag you took from the heavy side for this to happen is the gold bag
  • Options

cafcpolo said:

Fiiish said:

Open each bag and have a look? Or, as money bags are normally see-through, use your eyes? Unless we assume you're not allowed to do that or the regular coins are also gold in colour.

All coins are same in appearance but not purity. The scales can only be used once, you can open the bags (even remove coins) the scale won't hold more than 6000 grams.
    Can't you remove all coins except one from each bag, then do as Largo says...Put all bags on, remove one at a time and see when the weight drops by 1.01?
    there's an easier way

Add one coin from each bag to the scales one by one and see when the weight reading jumps by 1.01?
  • Options
    Sorry been away. @Fiiish is right, princes becomes princess.
  • Options
    oh wait you said scale, not pair of scales. hmm, lemme think
  • Options
    Leuth said:

put 50 on each side. one side goes down. then take a pair of bags off, one from each side, until the weight evens up. the bag you took from the heavy side for this to happen is the gold bag

You only get one reading.
  • Options
    rina said:

PL54 said:

rina said:

Prince singular
    Add an S becomes princes plural.
    Add another S becomes princess singular again.
  • Options

I add 5 to 9 and get 2. It's the right answer. How?

Add 5 hours to 9 o'clock to get 2 o'clock.
    Correct
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is it a Libra-style pair of scales or an electronic scale with a reading?
  • Options
    Picture a large digital scale.
  • Options
    Label the bags 1 to 100.

Take 1 coins from bag 1, 2 coins from bag 2 etc... until you have 100 coins from bag 100.

Weigh all the coins together. If all the coins weighed 1 ounce each, the scales should read 5050 ounces. However there will be an extra 0.01 ounce of weight for each gold coin. So if there were 42 gold coins, the scales would read 5050.42 ounces. Since we took 42 coins from bag 42, we know bag 42 contains the gold coins.
  • Options
    ^This looks about right. Of course, I was teaching an online maths lesson so couldn't participate fully ;)
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Label the bags 1 to 100.

Take 1 coins from bag 1, 2 coins from bag 2 etc... until you have 100 coins from bag 100.

Weigh all the coins together. If all the coins weighed 1 ounce each, the scales should read 5050 ounces. However there will be an extra 0.01 ounce of weight for each gold coin. So if there were 42 gold coins, the scales would read 5050.42 ounces. Since we took 42 coins from bag 42, we know bag 42 contains the gold coins.

I googled it, too, but left it to someone more cleverer than me.. :wink:
  • Options
    The board's primary Conservative campaigner is a riddle googler? What is this I hear?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Label the bags 1 to 100.

Absolutely right!
  • Options
    At least Fiiish put the effort in to change "label the bags 0-99" to "label the bags 1-100".

That shows real commitment!
  • Options
    It's basically an augmented version of the Gauss 'Add 1 to 100 together' problem.
  • Options
    The police rounded up Jim, Bud and Sam yesterday, because one of them was suspected of having robbed a bank. The three suspects made the following statements under intensive questioning: Jim: I’m innocent. Bud: I’m innocent. Sam: Bud is guilty. If only one of these statements is true, who robbed the bank?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jim (easy one!)
  • Options
    Jim!
  • Options

You put a coin in an empty bottle and insert a cork in the bottle’s opening. How can you remove the coin without taking out the cork or breaking the bottle?
  • Options
    push the cork right into into the bottle, then shake the coin out.
  • Options
    Push the cork in rather than taking it out?
  • Options
    Too easy. Hold on
  • Options
    There are three boxes. One is labeled "APPLES" another is labeled "ORANGES". The last one is labeled "APPLES AND ORANGES". You know that each is labeled incorrectly. You may ask me to pick one fruit from one box which you choose.

How can you label the boxes correctly?
  • Options
    Pick one from the "mixed" box. You know it only contains apples OR oranges, so if you get an apple, you know the one labeled "oranges" is actually the mixed box. Therefore the one labelled "Apples" must be the orange box.
    Likewise but the other way round if you pick an orange.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    You're at the south end of a large rectangular field of corn. Surrounded by unscalable walls, you can't tunnel out, get rescued or any of that sort of stuff.
    There is one exit door in the north wall. Unfortunately, there is also a wall of fire that stretches the entire width of the field and the wind is blowing south (and will continue to do so). The fire is too hot for you to go through it. how do you escape?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

rina said:

PL54 said:

rina said:

Prince singular
    Add an S becomes princes plural.
    Add another S becomes princess singular again.
    Thanks