Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• In one match I played in on the outskirts of Nottingham, play was stopped because a balloon (of the passenger variety) was losing height rapidly and looked like it was about to land on the square leg umpire. At the last minute it gained some height and ended up scattering the cows in the neighbouring field.
  • I didn't play last Sunday which was just as well as we were skittled out for 65 with 6 of our mob out for ducks including the new guy who now has 3 in a row,maybe the duck trophy isn't heading my way after all.
  • I didn't play last Sunday which was just as well as we were skittled out for 65 with 6 of our mob out for ducks including the new guy who now has 3 in a row,maybe the duck trophy isn't heading my way after all.

Is scouting tor you Thomas Driesen's summer job?

Is scouting tor you Thomas Driesen's summer job?
    Scouting!! He's playing :smiley:
  • AshBurton said:

Back on @happyvalley's quest for unusual cricket incidents, I seem plagued by misfortune - invariably self-inflicted - just after reaching 50. Luckily for me this is quite a rare occurrence, but here are three separate ones:

1. On 49, I stroke the ball through the infield for a comfortable one-and-a-half. Emboldened by the polite applause, I call recklessly for a second and am run out by at least 10 yards. This causes at least one watching teammate to fall off his deckchair in hysterics.

2. Hitting the ball firmly, I set off for a run, lose my footing and try to break my fall with a trailing arm, dislocating my elbow after it bends the wrong way. Adding insult to injury, in the meantime the ball has rolled over the boundary, so I needn't have run at all. But at least 54 retired hurt is good for the average.

3. I decide to advance down the pitch, only to fall over my own feet before the ball actually arrives. Luckily the 'keeper is so confused that he misses an easy stumping. My batting partner @Leuth (for it is he) calls "run!" and draws level with my prone figure before exclaiming "oh, you can't" and retreating back to the bowler's end. That one hurt as well, but not half as much as my pride.

Any more?

You should get one your team to film you - the footage could be worth a bomb!
  • edited June 2017
    As we're on a bit of an injuries binge, I'm going to expand on my "dislocated elbow" story, which happened while I was at uni 30 years ago.

We fielded first and my mate kept wicket, with me at first slip. Quite why this was my regular position as a youngster but as a 54 year old I now field in the covers shall remain a question for another day. Anyhoo, our opening bowler lets rip with an 'orrible loosener down the leg side, which my mate sees a bit late and the new ball goes straight through his gloves, causing the seam to rip his chin open. Lots of blood, very nasty. So there's no option but to jump in my car and take him to A&E. After getting him stitched up, we arrive back just in time for the tea interval.

Having abandoned our teammates to field with 9 men, we're chasing a fair old total, so my progress to 50 (see above) comes in handy. But then occurs the elbow incident. My mate is feeling a bit useless by now, so naturally volunteers to drive me, in my car, to the same A&E department to be greeted by the same staff: "did you forget something?.... oh I see....must be a really dodgy pitch today....come on through then...."

I don't think we bothered going back to the ground, so I've still no idea whether we won (but I think I can guess).
  • Sponsored links:

• I've been the fall guy a few times. In my last innings, with @AshBurton standing umpire, I sweetly drove their opening bowler who'd begun with five consecutive maidens to long-off and muttered 'Number 9!' dismissively to the aforementioned upon reaching the far end. Of course, I was bowled next balI faced. This is but a small flavour of my ongoing tragedy
  • I played a match at Sidcup CC a few years ago. I was batting against the home team's opening bowler who, while not particularly fast, was bowling pretty accurately and swinging the ball. As I have never been great facing good swing bowling, I resorted to my usual plan of taking guard about two feet outside the batting crease. This was intended to nullify any swing (giving the ball less far to travel) and, as he was putting the ball on the spot monotonously, was also planned to turn his perfect-length deliveries into something easier to drive.

He bowled one ball after I had made this change. The ball didn't swing, was well pitched up and I pushed it through the covers for a couple. However...

The wicket-keeper decided to stand up to the stumps. Fair enough. That put paid to my plan - I obviously wasn't going to stand out of my crease to a not-very-fast bowler, swinging it, with the keeper standing up. So, when he settled into position, I moved back into my original position, back foot behind the batting crease and waited for the next ball. However...

On seeing me move back to the crease, the wicket-keeper decided to stand back to where he originally was, about five yards back. I watched him bend down ready for the next ball and moved back to my advanced position, a couple of feet down the pitch and looked up to focus on the bowler. However...

Seeing me move out of the crease, the wicket-keeper shouted "hold on", stepped back to the stumps and crouched down, back in his "standing up to the stumps" position. However...

At this point, I (obviously) reverted to plan "A" and moved back to the crease. However...

As I did so, the keeper walked back to his original mark. However...

As he did so, I advanced. So the keeper shouted to me "are you going to make your mind up mate?" And I said "no".

In order to end the stalemate, I moved back into my crease, which meant he moved back. And I played the rest of my innings by alternately walking a yard towards the bowler as he ran in; or staying put.

I still don't know what the official "law" or accepted method is of ending a daft stalemate like that is. (Anyone know?) But, if I hadn't changed plan, we might well have still been trying to finish that over today.
  • Keeper completely in the wrong there. Stand up to the stumps and be done with it you twat
  • Yes, warn the fielding team responsible time-wasting. He decides where to field and you go from there.
  • Pedro45 said:

MrOneLung said:

How much would the overseas get paid for the season at your level?

I have heard stories of several former Kent Premier League sides paying all their first team even though this is meant to be an amateur game. As I say, they are former members of the KPL and it was down to one backer in each case.

That simply is unsustainable and it is far better to have a good colts set up and bring those players through - the current Bexley 1st X1, for example, contains 8 players 24 or under and that side is one of the few that has never been relegated from the KPL.
    Just a shame they had to poach one player (who is over 24 and does get paid) from another KCL club having already stolen that other clubs best youngster for years (and currently a Kent 2's player).

All the KCL prem clubs pay for (some of their) players to play, and many other Div 1 and 2 teams do too. Some clubs have sugar daddies and some do not. It used to be that even down in Div 5 most sides had a (paid for) overseas, although that is not the case now. Some clubs even had a second overseas player in their reserve side!

The next level down (KRCL), you have Chris Lewis playing for Roebucks this season, and I know he is not doing that for free despite his age!
    Interesting what you mean by "steal"? If a player wants to leave to go to another club they have every right to do so. As far as i'm aware Bexley only pay the professionals and overseas players. Correct me if i'm wrong as the structure may have changed since i left.
  • Pedro45 said:

MrOneLung said:

How much would the overseas get paid for the season at your level?

I have heard stories of several former Kent Premier League sides paying all their first team even though this is meant to be an amateur game. As I say, they are former members of the KPL and it was down to one backer in each case.

That simply is unsustainable and it is far better to have a good colts set up and bring those players through - the current Bexley 1st X1, for example, contains 8 players 24 or under and that side is one of the few that has never been relegated from the KPL.
    Just a shame they had to poach one player (who is over 24 and does get paid) from another KCL club having already stolen that other clubs best youngster for years (and currently a Kent 2's player).

All the KCL prem clubs pay for (some of their) players to play, and many other Div 1 and 2 teams do too. Some clubs have sugar daddies and some do not. It used to be that even down in Div 5 most sides had a (paid for) overseas, although that is not the case now. Some clubs even had a second overseas player in their reserve side!

The next level down (KRCL), you have Chris Lewis playing for Roebucks this season, and I know he is not doing that for free despite his age!
    Interesting what you mean by "steal"? If a player wants to leave to go to another club they have every right to do so. As far as i'm aware Bexley only pay the professionals and overseas players. Correct me if i'm wrong as the structure may have changed since i left.
    And just to add an "overseas player" doesn't necessarily get paid - especially one playing in a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th team!

Any player under Kent League Rules not born in the UK is an "overseas player" - some are granted "exempt status" after they have been here a certain number of years. There can never be more than one non exempt overseas player per team in the Kent League.

In addition, there are now strict restrictions and checks imposed by the Home Office via the League to ensure that players aren't just coming over here for a "paid holiday" thereby being in contravention of the terms of their visa.
  • Of course players have every right to move on if they wish, but poaching happens, and the "come and play for us" messages abound throughout the league early in the Spring! As for Bexley, are there any players who do not get paid to play in the 1st XI? That would make them all pro's. The player I refer to has a full time job, plays cricket one day a week, is over 24, and does get paid to play.
  • Pedro45 said:

Of course players have every right to move on if they wish, but poaching happens, and the "come and play for us" messages abound throughout the league early in the Spring! As for Bexley, are there any players who do not get paid to play in the 1st XI? That would make them all pro's. The player I refer to has a full time job, plays cricket one day a week, is over 24, and does get paid to play.

You seem to know quite a lot about who gets paid in the 1st X1 but I'm really not sure that it is correct - especially as some do actually pay an annual sub.

So far as "poaching" is concerned sometimes players just want to play at the highest level they are capable of doing as scoring easy runs and buying cheap wickets lower down doesn't appeal to them. Equally, the Kent Premier League is a pathway to playing Kent 2nd X1 cricket. Very few playing in Division 2 or 3 will ever be able to do so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bexley do not pay their players or their overseas.
  • Pedro45 said:

Of course players have every right to move on if they wish, but poaching happens, and the "come and play for us" messages abound throughout the league early in the Spring! As for Bexley, are there any players who do not get paid to play in the 1st XI? That would make them all pro's. The player I refer to has a full time job, plays cricket one day a week, is over 24, and does get paid to play.

You seem to know quite a lot about who gets paid in the 1st X1 but I'm really not sure that it is correct - especially as some do actually pay an annual sub.

So far as "poaching" is concerned sometimes players just want to play at the highest level they are capable of doing as scoring easy runs and buying cheap wickets lower down doesn't appeal to them. Equally, the Kent Premier League is a pathway to playing Kent 2nd X1 cricket. Very few playing in Division 2 or 3 will ever be able to do so.
    re Kent premier league cricket

yes there are some paid players in most team but for the mainpart they are club members who pay their subs AA knows what he is talking about ...I wouldnt identify Bexley specifically as a club that pays all of its first team ...id be extremely suprised if they did
  • When i left in 2013, no players were being paid. Bexley aren't backed by anyone unlike Hartley etc. All money is generated through the bar and subs. I have a feeling who you are talking about as well.
    Pedro45 said:

• lolwray said:

Pedro45 said:

yes there are some paid players in most team but for the mainpart they are club members who pay their subs AA knows what he is talking about ...I wouldnt identify Bexley specifically as a club that pays all of its first team ...id be extremely suprised if they did
    No, I am certainly not picking on Bexley as a KCL prem club who pay all their players - I don't know if they do or don't. I do know that they pay the player I am referring too, as he has told me what he gets! My original point re Bexley arose from an earlier intimation that Bexley had home grown all their team, which is not true. Bexley are certainly not among those that do pay most of their team from what you say, and that is good.
  • edited June 2017
    Pedro45 said:

lolwray said:

Pedro45 said:

No, I am certainly not picking on Bexley as a KCL prem club who pay all their players - I don't know if they do or don't. I do know that they pay the player I am referring too, as he has told me what he gets! My original point re Bexley arose from an earlier intimation that Bexley had home grown all their team, which is not true. Bexley are certainly not among those that do pay most of their team from what you say, and that is good.
    This is actually what I said:

Saturday's winning 1st X1 team actually had 5 players who had been with the Club since they were U11, one that joined as an U15 and another who joined as an U17 - and he almost certainly would have been with there sooner were it not for the fact that he was playing for Surrey in their development teams and at their insistence would have had to have played for a Surrey based Club. The Overseas player is only 21 too.

So 7 of the team actually played in the Club's colts set up and 5 of those have been there since they started playing cricket - not many 1st teams anywhere, let alone in top flight Club cricket, could claim that.

• Pedro45 said:

lolwray said:

Pedro45 said:

This is actually what I said:

Saturday's winning 1st X1 team actually had 5 players who had been with the Club since they were U11, one that joined as an U15 and another who joined as an U17 - and he almost certainly would have been with there sooner were it not for the fact that he was playing for Surrey in their development teams and at their insistence would have had to have played for a Surrey based Club. The Overseas player is only 21 too.

So 7 of the team actually played in the Club's colts set up and 5 of those have been there since they started playing cricket - not many 1st teams anywhere, let alone in top flight Club cricket, could claim that.

Ok, I stand corrected. I always look out for the Bexley scores and wish our two former players well (and others playing elsewhere); they are nice guys and I get on well with them whenever they return, as they do at least once a season for our presidents day game. It's fun watching them bat and bowl against each other on that day!
  • Anyway, back in that mundane world where none of us get paid or poached, we lost horribly.

Worse still, there were zero amusing incidents/injuries. Oh, apart from the fact I appear to have grown what looks like a third nipple after being hit in the chest.
  • I've missed the last two games but i'm in the team for the game against Statics who are captained by totally crazy bloke called PD.

Should be fun :worried:
  • If we have any "free agents" still on here looking for games ( @Chizz ?), then there's a space in my league side tomorrow as it stands - would be great to have a plurality of Charlton fans in the side once again. (We had seven last week. Seven! ... And promptly got demolished, so maybe that's not necessarily a good omen. But still.)

Long shot, but worth a go - let me know!

Cheers

Paddy
  • PaddyP17 said:

If we have any "free agents" still on here looking for games ( @Chizz ?), then there's a space in my league side tomorrow as it stands - would be great to have a plurality of Charlton fans in the side once again. (We had seven last week. Seven! ... And promptly got demolished, so maybe that's not necessarily a good omen. But still.)

Long shot, but worth a go - let me know!

Cheers

Paddy

Thanks for thinking of me, but I am not "available" tomorrow. Good luck!