Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Simonsen said:

I had an odd one on Saturday. I made 76 out of 100.

Batting first.
  • edited May 2017
    I play in a Last Man Stands league in Leeds.

http://www.lastmanstands.com/playcricket-uk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVxuIAwOyoE

Great fun. We're into our third season as a club now in a ten team league. Outdoors in the summer, indoors in the winter.

Lost our first game heavily last week, second is this week but I'll be at Headingley for England v SA.

We're all off on a tour to Bristol in a few weeks to play a few teams down there / generla p*ss up. We are playing one game at Blaise Castle though, which should be amazing.
  • Leuth said:

Leuth said:

After my 'heroics' on Saturday I went back to my old club to play for their Sunday friendly side in Swanscombe. It was marginally less heroic. Their opening medium-pacer ripped through our side. I came in at 5, played some thoroughly decent forward-defensives, then got a full toss down leg which I whipped off the middle of the bat literally straight to the fat kid hidden at short fine leg. One foot up, down, left or right and it'd have been a drop or four runs but the little bastard held it, completing my third duck in a row. The rest of our batsmen got out like idiots (including our star player stumped off a fast bowler with the keeper standing back) and we got rinsed. Then we played a ten-over game afterwards and got rinsed in that too.

Is that swanscombe and greenhithe cc?
    It is
    Used to play for London borough of Greenwich and played against their Sunday side back in the 80's.
  • seth plum said:

PaddyP17 said:

A solid win for Leuth, AshBurton, myself and our cricketing colleagues on Saturday! 45-run margin with ten men.

How did everyone else get on?

I understand your opponents were 0 for 1 after two balls, want to talk us through it :wink: ?
    As you can imagine @seth plum, the amount of turn generated by ball 2 was directly proportional to the amount of beer subsequently consumed. The number of other balls in the entire match that may also have turned was inversely proportional.
  • AshBurton said:

seth plum said:

PaddyP17 said:

A solid win for Leuth, AshBurton, myself and our cricketing colleagues on Saturday! 45-run margin with ten men.

I understand your opponents were 0 for 1 after two balls, want to talk us through it :wink: ?
    As you can imagine @seth plum, the amount of turn generated by ball 2 was directly proportional to the amount of beer subsequently consumed. The number of other balls in the entire match that may also have turned was inversely proportional.
    Hang on, you were at backward point so definitely wouldn't have been able to tell - not letting you get away with cheap CL lol point-scoring on this one...

It turned, I promise
  • All that matters is that their best bat fell into the ingenious 'fat adult' trap, thinking their smash through cover wouldn't be caught
  • PaddyP17 said:

AshBurton said:

seth plum said:

PaddyP17 said:

Hang on, you were at backward point so definitely wouldn't have been able to tell - not letting you get away with cheap CL lol point-scoring on this one...

It turned, I promise
    Damn, rumbled. I overlooked that, as skipper, you would have memorised the exact field settings at any given moment in the match...
  • Leuth said:

All that matters is that their best bat fell into the ingenious 'fat adult' trap, thinking their smash through cover wouldn't be caught

I think he may have been trapped into believing you were an actual oak tree, to expand on @Addick Addict's theme (and to distract him momentarily from your record-chasing batting).

But yes, it was indeed a thing of beauty and wonder, causing a group of small children to gather and ask "are you famous?", as the victorious team left the field.
  • Played at The Mote yesterday v Kent Over 50s (who turned us over quite easily). Was very impressed by their opening bowler ("Rupe?" from Hayes CC) who opened the bowling for England Over 60s on their winter tour of Australia.
  • Simonsen said:

Played at The Mote yesterday v Kent Over 50s (who turned us over quite easily). Was very impressed by their opening bowler ("Rupe?" from Hayes CC) who opened the bowling for England Over 60s on their winter tour of Australia.

Rupert Staple - a legend in the Kent League for an age.
  • Sponsored links:

• Simonsen said:

Played at The Mote yesterday v Kent Over 50s (who turned us over quite easily). Was very impressed by their opening bowler ("Rupe?" from Hayes CC) who opened the bowling for England Over 60s on their winter tour of Australia.

the kent over 50/60 teams are pretty much all conquering

with the exception of Yorkshire ,more people play cricket in Kent than any other county in England

Rupert Staples is a class act ,Chris Swadkin a real Blackheath Stalwart was also in that side that toured Aus ,I think he even skippered one of the games
  • I feel your pain @Leuth two ducks for me.Sunday I got a full toss at my head which the both umpires (my team mates) deemed it a fair delivery,top edged it where it went into orbit for a few minutes and was pouched with ease by their wicket keeper.I'm not playing for the next few weeks,but I'm well on course for the duck trophy (again)
  • Simonsen said:

Thanks....I shall remember the name. He bowled a great line and just moved it a bit both ways off the pitch. I managed to get him away off my legs once and pulled him once but that was all in about 6 overs.
  • lolwray said:

Simonsen said:

with the exception of Yorkshire ,more people play cricket in Kent than any other county in England

Rupert Staples is a class act ,Chris Swadkin a real Blackheath Stalwart was also in that side that toured Aus ,I think he even skippered one of the games
    My mate Mick Stafford was on the tour too. He's played for just about every club in Middlesex and Bucks....and is the fittest geezer of the lot....over 60 and he can still sprint!
  • Simonsen said:

lolwray said:

Simonsen said:

My mate Mick Stafford was on the tour too. He's played for just about every club in Middlesex and Bucks....and is the fittest geezer of the lot....over 60 and he can still sprint!
    those guys really do play to a good standard ..and at that age i have nothing but admiration for them ..once i am over an injury i hope to play for kent over 60s myself but not their 1st team ...i can only sprint to the bar or for catches off my own bowling
  • edited May 2017
    Simonsen said:

Simonsen said:

Thanks....I shall remember the name. He bowled a great line and just moved it a bit both ways off the pitch. I managed to get him away off my legs once and pulled him once but that was all in about 6 overs.
    Was, and presumably still is, the leading wicket taker in Kent league history.

Played against him a number of times over the years. Superb bowler, more than good enough to work me out!
    Last time I saw him, he was bowling with the keeper standing up, which only adds to the misery!
    Dangerous late order slogger as well.
  • lolwray said:

Simonsen said:

Rupert and Swadkin both played for Blackheath 3's in fairly recent times. Swadkin, even at his age, is still a very classy batter, while Rupert just puts it on a length ball after ball.

http://blackheath.play-cricket.com/website/player_stats_widget/batting_stats/5916?rule_type_id=179

http://blackheath.play-cricket.com/website/player_stats_widget/bowling_stats/254771?rule_type_id=179

• If I knew how to post a proper link I would, but I don't.....so this will have to do instead!

http://englandover60tours.co.uk/tour-party/

Rupert bowled yesterday with the keeper up.

I kept for Middlesex yesterday (I'm a stand in, not the proper keeper) and only stood back to Algie Corbin (Shepherds Bush & ex-Glamorgan 2nds). The Kent fella stood up to all of his bowlers and was excellent.

Our proper keeper is an interesting case; Barry Mohammed of Finchley CC. He keeps and always has kept, without pads!!!!
  • Simonsen said:

If I knew how to post a proper link I would, but I don't.....so this will have to do instead!

I kept for Middlesex yesterday (I'm a stand in, not the proper keeper) and only stood back to Algie Corbin (Shepherds Bush & ex-Glamorgan 2nds). The Kent fella stood up to all of his bowlers and was excellent.

Our proper keeper is an interesting case; Barry Mohammed of Finchley CC. He keeps and always has kept, without pads!!!!

Fuck knows how I did that....but the link came out ok!
  • Reading this, most of you played or are playing a better standard than I ever did.
    Just remembering some names from teams I played against in the 80's.
    Lessa I remember a big bowler, roger Parnell?
    Swanscombe and greenhithe I remember a batsman who always seemed to get shed loads, Alan sayward, and a bowler called prosser.
    Sorry if I've outed anyone on here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Simonsen said:

If I knew how to post a proper link I would, but I don't.....so this will have to do instead!

Small world. Up here in Lincolnshire, I've played a few times against Nick Andrews (in the photo on the link), he's a class act.
  • Reading this, most of you played or are playing a better standard than I ever did.
    Just remembering some names from teams I played against in the 80's.
    Lessa I remember a big bowler, roger Parnell?
    Swanscombe and greenhithe I remember a batsman who always seemed to get shed loads, Alan sayward, and a bowler called prosser.
    Sorry if I've outed anyone on here.

Yep Roger Parnell , must've been over 6 foot 6 and coming down that hill at LESSA was quite a sight . Peter broadbridge ( I think ) was the other quick bowler

Later on Mark Penfold joined that team for a season or 2 from greenwich boro I think it was as well .

Memory aint wot it used to be
  • i played against a greenwich borough team team when younger that included a young mark penfold,Jimmy Giles and Bob Curtis
  • lolwray said:

i played against a greenwich borough team team when younger that included a young mark penfold,Jimmy Giles and Bob Curtis

I played against Mark Penfold about 15 years ago when he was playing for Old Colfes - in a side that contained his son too.
  • lolwray said:

i played against a greenwich borough team team when younger that included a young mark penfold,Jimmy Giles and Bob Curtis

I played against Mark Penfold about 15 years ago when he was playing for Old Colfes - in a side that contained his son too.
    really ...i didnt know he played for them ..i know he played for downham and bellingham with gritty,paddy and john bumstead

also Gordon Riddick an old charlton player was a very very good club cricketer
  • edited May 2017
    A few of the Greenwich borough side I played with went to downam and Bellingham when the borough club closed.
    Alan Lucas, mark Penfold, Ian Borland and I think Bryan ferris and gary Watkins may have done so as well.
    And I remember mark Penfold going to lessa with either graham or Nigel Bateson.
    I just used to go along watching with beer in hand (you had a job to get a beer at lessa as the bar steward Arthur didn't like opening, often closing the bar at 9.00).
  • lolwray said:

lolwray said:

really ...i didnt know he played for them ..i know he played for downham and bellingham with gritty,paddy and john bumstead

I didn't recognise him at first - given that he had lost all of his long curly hair that I had remembered him by as a player!
  • lolwray said:

lolwray said:

Gritty's still bowling well apparently. Paddy umpires, and his son is a 1s bowler if I recall correctly - no guesses as to how that goes... And I think John B's son is a bowler too. My mate is over there as one of their bats/keepers (bloody Judas, leaving our lot).
  • I was once run out attempting 5th run after running 5 the ball before. It tires me out just thinking about it now. Has anyone else got any unusual incidents to share.
  • I was once run out attempting 5th run after running 5 the ball before. It tires me out just thinking about it now. Has anyone else got any unusual incidents to share.

Once got taken off the field by umpires because of gun fire.
    Someone in a house bordering the ground was trying to take out pigeons with an air rifle. The pigeons were perched on the sight screen.