Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Deep Purple

Comments

• Made in Japan - Lazy
  • Badger said:

I saw Deep Purple on May 12th 1974 at the Lewisham Odeon,Burn Tour supported by Elf.

I was there as well, good man.
  • I've been following Purple and all the derivatives for years. Blackmore went downhill in the late eighties - problem with his shoulder (arthritis and or a trapped nerve) meant his playing suffered which was a shame. I saw him at a Rainbow gig at the Gary Sobell Sports Centre in the late eighties and he was finished.

The Mk 2(b) reform didn't really work as Gillan and Blackmore didn't get on. 'Jolene' was a disaster but since Gillan came back again, then I think they've been great, though the really good songs have been a bit thin on the ground (Ted the Mechanic being a rare gem). Steve Morse is an extremely good guitarist. Jon Lord unfortunately died, but Don Airey (ex Whitesnake and many others) who took over is a good substitute.

The current band is very tight. Yes, the atmosphere at most gigs nowadays can't match the Hammy Odeon but I've been lucky enough to catch them in smaller, more intimate venues (also at an impromptu gig at the Melbourne Grand Prix in 2001) and they still put on a good show.

Was never so much of a fan of Mk 3, simply because I can't stand Glenn Hughes' voice. But I love Coverdale Whitesnake and there are some great tracks on the Mk 3 albums. Coverdale fairly recently did a Whitesnake remake of the best songs called 'The Purple Album' which is well worth a listen. Thank goodness for Spotify!

Basically, though, you're never going to beat Made in Japan - that was their absolutely peak.

• Badger said:

I saw Deep Purple on May 12th 1974 at the Lewisham Odeon,Burn Tour supported by Elf.

I was there too! Also saw them about 10 years ago and again last year at the O2. Gillan's voice is not what is was, but they are all great musicians and the music is as good as ever. From more recent times Perfect Strangers (the first of the Mk2 getting back together albums is very good). The albums then begin to tail off until Blackmore gets Gillan kicked out and Joe Lynn Turner sings on Slaves and Masters. Perpendicular and Bananas, are probably the best of the post Blackmore albums. Stormbringer and Come taste the band are, as someone said, a bit funky and personally, I like them.
  • edited June 2016
    Saw them four or five years ago at the O2 with a full orchestra - they were awesome. Saw them at the Manchester Apollo a couple of years ago and they were crap.

Either way the Purple of 40 years ago were up there with the best and still, in my opinion, the best band not to be inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame.
  • Saw Deep Purple at the Albert Hall circa 1970 pre-sound improvement work hence we could only hear Ian Paice so wasn't the best concert I have been to. Used to do a bit of Artists Security work in the late 70's so worked at Wembley Arena when Rainbow was playing and have never seen such a c**t as Richie Blackmore, brilliant player but a 100%, world class arse hole. He asked the road crew to set his rig up on the right of the stage and then waited until they had finished and got them to move the lot over to the other side. Would have been a righteous act to have decked him.
  • Badger said:

I digress but weren't Elf fronted by Ronnie James Dio, who Blackmore obviously started Rainbow with. Rainbow Raising one of my favourite albums of the 70's.
  • Just watched the Richie Blackmore story on Sky Arts (under Guitars).

Really interesting watch, plenty of great musicians attest to his incredible ability. The program tracks from his childhood; early career with Joe Meek, Screaming Lord Sutch, Gene Vincent and Jerry Lee Lewis, through the rock band variants to his more recent medieval stuff with wife Candice Night. Blackmore summarises throughout the show from his private bar, as he sinks more than a few beers.

Yes @daveaddick's observation comes through too - he could be a right awkward bar-steward on his day, unfortunately this often seems to come with the territory in these gifted types - which he most certainly is.
  • Solidgone said:

Made in Japan - Lazy

Love that song and the solos in it from both Lord and Blackmore. There is a bit in the guitar solo that is so blooming hard to do at that speed!
  • Badger said:

I digress but weren't Elf fronted by Ronnie James Dio, who Blackmore obviously started Rainbow with. Rainbow Raising one of my favourite albums of the 70's.
    Sorry Red I just know I was at the concert, I cannot recall anything about Elf.
  • Sponsored links:

• Badger said:

I saw Dio at the Hammersmith Odeon in the 80's, they were very good.
  • Just read that the current tour has been cancelled as Ian Paice has suffered a stroke, although he is said to be recovering. Paice being the only remaining original member, I wonder if the band will continue.
  • Saw them two years ago in California . They were supported by Blue Oyster Cult and both acts were clapped out old has beens.
  • edited June 2016
    Of the bands I used to listen to in the 70s I think DP have least stood the test of time. "Who will save the world? The Mighty Groundhogs!", The Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Edge, Zeppelins 1, 3, Graffiti and Presence, Black Sabbath 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - I play them all without shame with the windows down, but the best of Purlple - IMO "In Rock" sounds lumpen and old. I remember Ritchie Blackmore used to say that JS Bach was a major influence, and as a 14 yr old I bought it...christ.
  • Made in Japan on at the moment. Surely one of the best live albums ever?

Both Glenn Hughes and Joe Lynn Turner playing gigs in Madrid in next couple of months. Worth going to for a Purple fan? Although admittedly not as much of their eras.
  • ashley said:

Saw them two years ago in California . They were supported by Blue Oyster Cult and both acts were clapped out old has beens.

there's more than a few of those still nicking a living
  • As part of my ongoing project to look into more than the 'classic' lineup, I recently picked up the DVD Live in Montreux 1996 and 2000 with Steve Morse on guitar instead of Richie Blackmore. He definitely has more of a 'metal' style with quite a bit of fretwankery; I can see why some diehards won't accept him. The band and Gillan are generally on great form though so I wouldn't mind seeing them next time they do the rounds, although Jon Lord has since passed away.
  • New album out in the new year and an accompanying tour called 'The Long Goodbye' so it looks like they will retire after that. Be nice if they could get Blackmore or even Coverdale up on stage with them one more time before they call it a day.
  • New album out in the new year and an accompanying tour called 'The Long Goodbye' so it looks like they will retire after that. Be nice if they could get Blackmore or even Coverdale up on stage with them one more time before they call it a day.

The Long Goodbye you say? Damn straight!

Just remember them how they were mate.
  • From here to Infinity (Sky Arts)

Documentary based around the recording of the new Album Infinite due out April 7th.

5 old guys working in harmony, (6 including veteran producer Bob Ezrin) making what threatens to be a superb album. Sounded pretty good to me anyway (old guy count up to 7 now).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfmXD90VWsg
  • Sponsored links:

• Sounded pretty good to me. A bit lost its way in the middle but otherwise very good.
  • very Pink Floydish ... heavier than that but decent ..
  • Child in time .... Classic
  • First top ten album since 1987 - back in fashion!
  • Prefer Machine Head meself, only seen them once and that was in Sydney in the early 70's bloody good gig!
  • Planet Rock just had a poll of the top 40 rock riffs of all time, and all 40 were played this afternoon ..
    guess what was numero uno ?
  • Planet Rock just had a poll of the top 40 rock riffs of all time, and all 40 were played this afternoon ..

Busted - Year 3000?

Busted - Year 3000?
    great riff .. but I suspect the rock snobs consider Busted to be a pop combo

Busted - Year 3000?
    great riff .. but I suspect the rock snobs consider Busted to be a pop combo
    More fool them.
  • Picked up the new album 'Infinite' today before seeing them in summer in anticipation of them playing the inevitable new album tracks. A few plodders in there but a couple of great tracks and overall the album is a decent recreation of the classic sound. Hoping the gig this summer lives up to expectations!