Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deep Purple

12346»

Comments

• Options
    no doubt that after a great career, sadly Ian Gillan is now the weakest link .. I can well remember seeing him and Roger Glover in the band 'Episode Six' at the Witchdoctor/Savoy in Catford during the mid 1960s, an era when there were just so many great bands around to go and see and multiple places to go and see 'em
  • Options
    Blimey, he's been around a bit.

Donald Smith Airey (born 21 June 1948) is an English musician who has been the keyboardist in the rock band Deep Purple since 2002, after the retirement of Jon Lord. He has had a long and productive career, playing with such acts as Gary MooreOzzy OsbourneJudas PriestBlack SabbathJethro TullWhitesnakeSaxonWishbone AshColosseum IITenSinnerMichael SchenkerRainbowEmpireBrian MayDivlje jagodeElectric Light OrchestraGlenn TiptonHollywood Monsters,and Living Loud. He has also worked with Andrew Lloyd Webber.

• Options
    Oooh so excited, just bought a couple of tickets to see them in November at the O2!  Not a bad line up still and Gillan is one of my favorite singers! Unbelievable that  I have never seen them live, seen all my other favorite groups over the years and these were on my bucket list.

You'll enjoy it they're a fine live band
  • Options
    edited March 21
    I went to see DP a 2-3 years ago at the O2 and came away somewhat disappointed. Ian Gillan no longer has the voice that made DP special…and of course the demise of Jon Lord they would never be the same.
  • Options
    no doubt that after a great career, sadly Ian Gillan is now the weakest link .. I can well remember seeing him and Roger Glover in the band 'Episode Six' at the Witchdoctor/Savoy in Catford during the mid 1960s, an era when there were just so many great bands around to go and see and multiple places to go and see 'em
    IG has had the occasional less good show over the years but which singer hasn't?
    He hasn't attempted the self indulgent vocal hystrionics for years now accepting that aging vocal chords have their limitations
    Weak link is unfair, he's not the singer of 50 years ago, that's unrealistic, he is a mightily impressive performer even before you consider he's 78
    Surprising thing for me in recent years has been Don Airey pretty much sticking to Jon Lord's set-pieces, including 'Maybe It's Because I'm A Londoner' Airey's from the North East!!  More importantly with his career he has tonnes of material to draw from
  • Options
    Another "Episode Six" fan here, I first saw them in December 1967, being supported by the then up and coming Status Quo at The Welcome Inn...
    Sadly Gillan's voice  has gone as far as those high notes are concerned on such tracks as Child in Time from the great "In Rock" Album...
  • Options
    edited March 21
    Love Purple and its come a bit late for me at 61 years old.   Being a bit of a Mod, I hated anything "heavy" as I would of seen it.  My brother on the other hand was into all this stuff.  I actually thank YouTube for bringing me to bands like Zepplin, Purple and others, the talent of these guys coming up in the 60's will never see the like. What a sweet spot for music and this little island of ours... We truly conquered the world!
  • Options
    Love Purple and its come a bit late for me at 61 years old.   Being a bit of a Mod, I hated anything "heavy" as I would of seen it.  My brother on the other hand was into all this stuff.  I actually thank YouTube for bringing me to bands like Zepplin, Purple and others, the talent of these guys coming up in the 60's will never see the like. What a sweet spot for music and this little island of ours... We truly conquered the world!
    What do you mean? Theres plenty of modern bands with talent. 

• Options
    What do you mean? Theres plenty of modern bands with talent. 

Are there?

I'll take your word for it  Of course there are good bands today but I maintain they will never have the historical clout and global reach of what came out of this country in the 60's and 70's.