Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deep Purple

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2022
    First ever concert for Deep Purple was a massive 54 years ago today! Still going, albeit with only one member from that original lineup. Quiz question, no Googling - who is it?
    Thought Gillan, Glover & Paice were still current...however would think last man standing from those would probably be Roger Glover... :/

However, nothing like the original line up..
  • Options
    Not Roger Glover...only joined for their fourth album.
  • Options
    First ever concert for Deep Purple was a massive 54 years ago today! Still going, albeit with only one member from that original lineup. Quiz question, no Googling - who is it?
    Ian Paice
  • Options
    can recall seeing a band play regularly at the Witchdoctor/Savoy in Catford in the late 60s .. Episode Six .. Glover and Gillan were both in that band which was a VERY good one
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    can recall seeing a band play regularly at the Witchdoctor/Savoy in Catford in the late 60s .. Episode Six .. Glover and Gillan were both in that band which was a VERY good one
    Yep, remember Episode Six, saw them December '67 at The Welcome Inn, supported by Status Quo
  • Options

First for me was Dreamland Margate in 1970, so 52 years. Still in my top 10 gigs of all time.
  • Options
    Just slightly off thread - I thought Status Quo didn't appear at The Welcome Inn until 1968.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Just slightly off thread - I thought Status Quo didn't appear at The Welcome Inn until 1968.
    Almost, but no cigar mate..13th December 1967...sorry.. B)

From the Quo Gigography..

13/12/  UK, Eltham - The Welcome Inn (support for Episode Six) 

• Options
    Well you learn something new. I always thought it was 1968 must have been what I was smoking that distorted my time lines.
  • Options
    The band have announced that guitarist Steve Morse, who has been with the since 1994, is sadly leaving the band so he can be with his wife, who is ill. Some lovely tributes to him from the rest of the group:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/steve-morse-to-step-away-from-deep-purple-permanently-band-pay-tribute

I've really enjoyed the last few albums with him and have appreciated being able to see them continue to play live with him on the guitar. They will never be the powerhouse band they were in the 70s but Morse added his own legacy to the band and he'll be sadly missed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2022
    As an old Mod (revival) I am most surprised that I am currently heavily into Purple (or Deep into...) on YouTube atm.  Was listening to Led Zepp regularly prior to that. Groups I wouldn't of entertained in my youth.

It's only when you look back online nowadays that you realise the talent that was and sadly will never be again.
  • Options
    Made in Japan was recorded 50 years ago today - still the best live album ever!
  • Options
    I also love Machine Head and never get tired of blasting it out!!!
  • Options
    Totally agree. 
  • Options
    Playing at the o2 tomorrow - anyone on here going to see them? First UK tour with new guitarist Simon McBride after long serving Steve Morse retired after 28 years.
  • Options
    Playing at the o2 tomorrow - anyone on here going to see them? First UK tour with new guitarist Simon McBride after long serving Steve Morse retired after 28 years.
    yup
  • Options
    I liked Deep Purple in the early days, but have no idea who this might be. Is Richie Blackmore still around?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I liked Deep Purple in the early days, but have no idea who this might be. Is Richie Blackmore still around?
    Ritchie Blackmore left in 1993 and Jon Lord sadly died in 2012 so the only original member left is drummer Ian Paice. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Ritchie Blackmore left in 1993 and Jon Lord sadly died in 2012 so the only original member left is drummer Ian Paice. 
    But Roger Glover and Ian Gillan have been with them since 1969
  • Options
    Gillan has obviously lost his incredible voice but when I last saw them a couple of years or so ago he did look a bit poncy in his white linen outfit. More suited to a Ravi Shankar concert. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    But Roger Glover and Ian Gillan have been with them since 1969
    Sure, but was doing the classic trivia question of who is the only original member left :)
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Heard them doing a live performance a couple of years ago on radio 2  Thought Gillan sounded shite
  • Options
    Ian Paice is a great drummer. 
    Had Black Night/Speed King 7” in 1970, and still play it on Spotify all these years later. My boys love it too. Great drumming on Black Night with those off kilter drum fills. 
    I’m sure I had one of their albums, but can’t remember which one. I’d probably remember if I saw the album cover again. It’s often the inside of a gatefold that jogs the memory, or the back of the sleeve. 
    I always thought Jon Lord’s organ set them apart from other bands. 
    Cue Kenneth Williams gif lol
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Heard them doing a live performance a couple of years ago on radio 2  Thought Gillan sounded shite
    I did say he has lost his incredible voice 😉
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    Ian Paice is a great drummer. 
    Had Black Night/Speed King 7” in 1970, and still play it on Spotify all these years later. My boys love it too. Great drumming on Black Night with those off kilter drum fills. 
    I’m sure I had one of their albums, but can’t remember which one. I’d probably remember if I saw the album cover again. It’s often the inside of a gatefold that jogs the memory, or the back of the sleeve. 
    I always thought Jon Lord’s organ set them apart from other bands. 
    Cue Kenneth Williams gif lol
     Oh go on then... ;)

• Options
    I thought blue oyster cult were the better band on the night. Deep purple musically were great, but Gillian was struggling which is why there were a few keyboard/guitar solos.
  • Options
    Made in Japan was released 50 years ago today - the best live album ever!
  • Options
    I’ll echo that.
  • Options
    When I left school I had 3 weeks to wait before I started work. In those days you could easily claim Social Security payments as soon as you left school. As soon as the money came through the first thing I did was to go out and buy this album. Still sounds great today. 

• Options
    edited March 21
    Oooh so excited, just bought a couple of tickets to see them in November at the O2!  Not a bad line up still and Gillan is one of my favorite singers! Unbelievable that  I have never seen them live, seen all my other favorite groups over the years and these were on my bucket list.