Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Aldi, Lidl and The big four.

Wife does the bulk of her shopping in Morrisons which I'm not overly keen on because I think the quality is nothing great and selection at best mediocre.

I've popped into Lidl a few times and quite liked the quality and prices on offer but I'm no expert. Just how much cheaper is it to shop at Lidl or Aldi over the other big four ? Worth the effort ?

I've got a bit more time on my hands these days so interested in doing some shopping and hopefully saving a few quid.

In case anyone wonders why I have more time these days it's because I retired at the end of October.

Comments

• Generally speaking, "doing some shopping" and "saving a few quid" are mutually exclusive but I know where you are coming from. I've often wondered whether it's worth shopping around. We use Sainsbury's and know where everything is. Familiarity wins. Must check out Aldi and Lidl at some point.
  • Wife does the bulk of her shopping in Morrisons which I'm not overly keen on because I think the quality is nothing great and selection at best mediocre.

I've popped into Lidl a few times and quite liked the quality and prices on offer but I'm no expert. Just how much cheaper is it to shop at Lidl or Aldi over the other big four ? Worth the effort ?

I've got a bit more time on my hands these days so interested in doing some shopping and hopefully saving a few quid.

In case anyone wonders why I have more time these days it's because I retired at the end of October.

Congratulations on being in a position to retire!

Enjoy it!
  • Thanks Len. So far so good.
  • Find the quality hit and miss, but once you know what's decent in there it's worth doing a shop in there one week and one in your usual supermarket the next (as Lidl/Aldi don't do as much etc).
  • Have a lidl very close to me, try not to shop anywhere else to be honest, just got sick of coming out of Sainsburys spending £40 and only having 2 bags of shopping to show for it. Can pretty much feed my family of 4 for about £50 for the week.
  • Congrats on your retirement!

Whilst not everything is cheaper in Lidl & Aldi I reckon 95% of it is so it's well worth doing. Two things to be mindful of though:
    - They don't accept credit cards, so you have to stay in budget.
    - The have an annoying habit of displaying their prices above the goods rather than underneath them which is traditional here. So you have to be careful when doing your price checks.
  • We have shopped at Aldi for the last three years. What we can't get in there, we get in Morrison's across the road. There meat is good value, the washing liquid works better than the branded ones (and costs a lot less) but their fruit and veg isn't always good quality.

We used to spend just over £100 in Morrison and that dropped to around the £80 by shopping between the two when we first switched.
  • Waitrose twice a month, Iceland for regular weekly shop.
  • Lidl usually once a week.

It's surprising how much space is wasted in supermarkets with big branded goods that don't come close to Lidl's.

P.s Their meat is very good, their own brand cheeses i.e mainly the camembert is shocking though it turns to a jelly when cooked instead of an oozey godliness.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2016
    Fruit and veg is definitely cheaper and is of comparable quality to the big supermarkets. Most Lidls have a bakery too which is also good. Even better, most of the stuff they get will tend to be 'in-season' produce so you should be less likely to find stuff that has been shipped from Peru or New Zealand.

Lidl claim to have good standards for meat and fish welfare but just like big supermarkets there is no way of knowing for sure the welfare of the final product. Try to use a butcher if that's an issue like it is for me.

You can sometimes find a good deal in 'dry products' such as cleaning, cereals, cooking products (oil, spices), tea & coffee, and toiletries. Either name-branded stuff at discount prices or a very reasonable equivalent.

And, of course, real ales. My local Lidl has fantastic deals on some of my favourite bottled ales.

The missus and I can often do a weekly shop for around £20-30 in Lidl.
  • Tend to go to the local Coop (just up the road), and probably every other week or so go to Sainsbury's....though in the run up to Christmas we avoid it like the plague as it's bloody ramo.
  • Lidl over here has better quality and cheaper veg than the big 2 (Continente and Pingo Doce), but not such a good variety. Stuff like cling film and bin bags are much cheaper and far better quality in Lidl too.
  • weekly delivery from ocado
  • When back in Dartford I visit the Aldi there. Significantly cheaper than Sainsbury's and impressed by most of their fruit and veg, both its price and some of the availability products

Definitely worth shopping around rather than going to one place for everything
  • Sponsored links:

• If you want to save a few quid Mysupermarket.com is good site for comparing specific branded products at different supermarkets.
  • Fiiish said:

Addickted said:

Fiiish said:

And, of course, real ales. My local Lidl has fantastic deals on some of my favourite bottled ales.

That's just the ales.

It's a lot cheaper at Waitrose as their security is poor.

Overheard at Waitrose:

"Darling, can you see where Basil and Rosemary are?"
    "Aren't the herbs on aisle seven?"
    "No sweetheart I'm trying to find our children!"
    You've got to stop following @Leuth
  • Fiiish said:

Addickted said:

Fiiish said:

That's just the ales.

Overheard at Waitrose:

In my experience your just as likely to hear someone screaming at Caleb to get his fuckin ass over here since they started handing out free coffee.

• Meat- butcher failing that waitrose
    Fish - fishmonger failing that morrisons
    Fruit & veg- morrisons
    Beer, spice mixes, free paper- waitrose
    Overall sainsburys as nearest
  • There's a Lidl in Farnham but locals don't use it because of the risk of being caught in there by your neighbour. True.

• Fiiish said:

Addickted said:

Fiiish said:

That's just the ales.

Overheard at Waitrose:

In my experience your just as likely to hear someone screaming at Caleb to get his fuckin ass over here since they started handing out free coffee.
    Apparently getting rid of free coffee as one of their top people thinks that it attracts the wrong sort, people who buy cigs and lottery tickets
  • Asda probably has the best selection of Bottled Real ales on offer.
  • There's a Lidl in Farnham but locals don't use it because of the risk of being caught in there by your neighbour. True.

Sevenoaks residents fought for years to stop Lidl opening in the High Street.

Very popular now.

• weekly delivery from ocado

Same here. Tried a few others but Ocado hardly ever do replacements or have anything out of stock. Their fruit is much better than Sainsburys/Tesco/Asda too.

Still try to get all our meat from the butcher though.
  • As a student I like the ink I'm pretty good at this. Aldi/ Lidl are cheaper but I find I never end up doing my whole shop there. I usually end up going this one tesco after this opportunity pick up some other bits.

Aldi do some great fakes. Their version of kettle chips taste better than the actual thing in my view. They're great for things like that.