Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Aldi, Lidl and The big four.

Comments

• Addickted said:

There's a Lidl in Farnham but locals don't use it because of the risk of being caught in there by your neighbour. True.

Sevenoaks residents fought for years to stop Lidl opening in the High Street.

Very popular now.

Haven't seen you in there yet? Are you still in 7oaks area? I thought you moved away a bit?
    I have.

Ever since they opened the Lidl.
  • Very sad I know, but I have Lidl POIs downloaded on TomTom in Portugal at the moment.

Where else do I get my red wine 1.44 Euros and baguette .39 cents?
  • There's a lot to be said for the budget Jaffa Cakes at Lidl. Fantastic creation.
  • Stig said:

Congrats on your retirement!

Whilst not everything is cheaper in Lidl & Aldi I reckon 95% of it is so it's well worth doing. Two things to be mindful of though:
    - They don't accept credit cards, so you have to stay in budget.
    - The have an annoying habit of displaying their prices above the goods rather than underneath them which is traditional here. So you have to be careful when doing your price checks.

Aldi do these days
    so do Lidl
  • If Sainsbury's don't sell it we don't have it, the local Lidl is a fraction of the size of it.
    The Lidl at Locksbottom causes no end of traffic problems with it's postage stamp size car park and people trying to get into it even when there is clearly no room left.
  • A thread about food shopping?

Jesus, what have we become.
  • Off_it said:

A thread about food shopping?

Bored with the football?
  • Off_it said:

middle aged?
  • Off_it said:

It's what we do on Saturdays nowadays.
  • We do 80% of our weekly shop in Aldi and have to top up (cos of the Wife) in Tesco or Sainsbury's. Save about £20 a week for the last few years I reckon and it's all decent stuff.
  • Sponsored links:

• I get a weekly veg box delivery from Abel and Cole.

For quick needs......Co-op or for more choice - Waitrose.

Use the local butcher (Andrews in Bromley).
  • Local farm shop........
    Whats a supermarket??

Off_it said:

middle aged?
    Happy with that. ;)
  • Take Mum around Waitress. No feral kids. She loves it. Tend to lose the Missus in Tesco's - she has to phone me. Like the bread in Sainsburys. Personally think the Aldi/Lydl clothes & stuff is a bit tatty. Lydl soya milk is dire!
  • Any soya milk is dire.

Me mum shops at Aldi/Lidl, they have a few things that are really good and really cheap.

Like others on here, needs to go and get some other stuff every couple of weeks from elsewhere.
  • Must admit to being stuck in the habit of Sainsbury and Tesco and alternate a bit between the 2. Co Op during the week for a top up......
  • Must admit to being stuck in the habit of Sainsbury and Tesco and alternate a bit between the 2. Co Op during the week for a top up......

Either you live where I do or apparently Tesco and Sainsburys like to conduct turf wars where there's a Co-op convenience store in no man's land.
  • stonemuse said:
    We use Tesco ...great selection and always lots of deals. Don't like Morrisons much although they have a good bakery counter. Asda is a mess, never use it any more. Lidl's always has a lot of good fish/shellfish at Xmas time. Never tried Aldi. Have used Ocado a few times and always very good quality.
    Ocado have been awful for the last few weeks. Preferred them to others due to the fact they hardly ever had substitutions even if they were a bit dearer. 

Subs have started creeping up, they failed to deliver all the fridge items we ordered a couple of weeks ago and no frozen items with tonight’s delivery.

Anyone recommend alternatives? As I said, I’d rather pay a bit more as long as you actually get what you order.
  • stonemuse said:
    We use Tesco ...great selection and always lots of deals. Don't like Morrisons much although they have a good bakery counter. Asda is a mess, never use it any more. Lidl's always has a lot of good fish/shellfish at Xmas time. Never tried Aldi. Have used Ocado a few times and always very good quality.
    Ocado have been awful for the last few weeks. Preferred them to others due to the fact they hardly ever had substitutions even if they were a bit dearer. 

Subs have started creeping up, they failed to deliver all the fridge items we ordered a couple of weeks ago and no frozen items with tonight’s delivery.

Anyone recommend alternatives? As I said, I’d rather pay a bit more as long as you actually get what you order.

Netto
  • Sponsored links:

• stonemuse said:

I would recommend Fortnum & Mason.
  • To be fair, we can’t fault Tesco. 

Pay £6.99 a month for unlimited deliveries. Also gets you priority times at Xmas and Easter. 

If if you are not happy with anything they will always refund you there and then with no quibbles. 

One of of our milk cartons had a slight leak the other week and they refunded whole price of the milk and the delivery man also refunded about 8 items where the package got a little wet as ‘damaged packaging’ 
  • Over here in the land of getting ripped off, Aldo are generally 30% cheaper than Woolworths. We don’t have a Coles close by so I’m not sure what the difference is but close to the saving on Woolies I suspect. Absolute monopoly here with Coles and Woolies dominating the market. 
  • edited September 2019
    I go to the 'wet market' every day, Carrefour and Walmart both sell absolutely awful fruit and veg at ridiculous prices.
  • I go to the 'wet market' every day, Carrefour and Walmart both sell absolutely awful fruit and veg at ridiculous prices.
    Dirty boy 
  • interesting documentary re 'Der Chermans' on C5 over the weekend .. personally I find with Allidl you mostly get what you pay for .. in general I find that the quality at Tesco, even Morrisons, ASDA and (especially) M&S is much better .. BUT of course, it's all a matter of taste and affordability
  • we've now gone back to having a Milkman, seems to be very popular once again
  • interesting documentary re 'Der Chermans' on C5 over the weekend .. personally I find with Allidl you mostly get what you pay for .. in general I find that the quality at Tesco, even Morrisons, ASDA and (especially) M&S is much better .. BUT of course, it's all a matter of taste and affordability
    This is certainly true for things like ready meals and processed crap. However, their meat, fish and veg is as good as, and better in a lot of cases, than all of the bigger stores. With the only exception being Morrison's and their onsite butchers (which I'll use if I can't get To my butchers).

Tesco and Asda are awful for fresh produce.
  • stonemuse said:

morrisons on line shopping is spot on mate, biggest cock up on a order we have had with them is they doubled up on 40% of our shopping a couple of weeks ago and didnt charge for it.