Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Woolwich

Comments

• Some of the pubs on there bring back some memories an all, mostly bad....
  • msomerton said:

There was a good pub near that park, called the Pavilion if I remember correctly, as a teenager I worked in Woolworths in Woolwich for two years as a Saturday boy in early 70`s great place to work, and then for 9months in mid late 70`s for Sadies in the covered market. That was a revelation for a shy teenager but people who worked there where a great lot, they had the patter that could charm birds of the tree`s.

Pavilion has been closed for a number of years now, the park is still much the same as it was.
    I used to live 3 doors away from the lady that had Sadies, Lily her name was, she died about 6 years ago
  • Dad worked at Standard Telephones in North Woolwich.
    He traveled for years from our home on the Coldharbour estate and walked under the tunnel.
    Mum used to take us to Cuffs to see father Christmas.
    As a treat we would go across on the ferry and I would watch the stokers shoveling coal into the boilers.
    Sometimes we would walk through the tunnel, used to fascinate me with the sound of the old boys whistling.
    I can just remember the trolley buses in Woolwich.
  • I worked just along the side road (McBean Street) past Cuffs in the Presto Supermarket that was built opposite Woolwich Poly Lower School. I was there for three years 1983 to 1986.

I remember the advert for Presto - The Presto Manifesto.
    Yes, it was;

"We don't want you to go anywhere else. The Presto Manifesto.

They also used;

Best go to Presto.

They were taken over by Safeway who in turn got taken over by Morrison but the Woolwich branch was sold off to Lidl. They only use half the site that Presto had as a Gym occupies the other part.

• msomerton said:

There was a good pub near that park, called the Pavilion if I remember correctly, as a teenager I worked in Woolworths in Woolwich for two years as a Saturday boy in early 70`s great place to work, and then for 9months in mid late 70`s for Sadies in the covered market. That was a revelation for a shy teenager but people who worked there where a great lot, they had the patter that could charm birds of the tree`s.

Pavilion has been closed for a number of years now, the park is still much the same as it was.
    I used to live 3 doors away from the lady that had Sadies, Lily her name was, she died about 6 years ago
    That must be Sadies daughter, the woman I worked for was getting on then. It was a family business and her daughter and son in law worked the rails with two other blokes and a couple of part time boys. They had been running the stall for many years and where a respected fixture of the covered market for years, feels like history passing to hear of her death.
  • edited November 2016
    Born in Woolwich. Uncle Maurice ran the egg stall at Woolwich Market. I was there the first night at McD's also. Was once outside the the Unemployment Center on the Square and there was a couple of Young girls one with a pushchair and both smoking. Have never heard the word fucking this fucking that so much in a conversation.Funny though. Outside the Town Hall that famous night we got The Valley back. All good except when for poor Lee Rigby RIP was brutally murdered by those brainwashed IslamoFascists.
  • Victoria Park I think it's called over the water. Was a train museum near it too
  • I too visited McDonalds in Woolwich the day it opened with vouchers. Also worked there on the odd occasion when they were short staffed and I was sent in a taxi from Eltham.

Minor chaos, people horrified at finding a strange piece of green gunk inside the bun and arguments with staff who refused to sell a burger in pickle free form.

• Sponsored links:

• Sams chicken shop was the Woolwich Infant.
    My friend's dad had that pub for years.

• edited November 2016
    Anyone else remember the smallpox scare of the early sixties?

Hundreds in a queue for vaccinations at or near the swimming pools in Market Street.

A bloke in Shrewsbury Lane contracted it first of all (fortunately he survived) and it made the National news thus generating the vaccination panic referred to.
  • edited November 2016

Lots of great memories here.

I always remember watching in disbelief when they were pulling down Cuffs. As a kid I was thinking how could they get rid of such a great shop!? Something great must be going in its place I thought..

Other things I remember from Woolwich of old (already mentioned a few times) are Sams, the army surplus place near the covered market. Incidentally there is now a fast food place called Sams along there now, near the Woolwich Infant pub.

On the cobbled road of the market place used to be some disused tram lines running out and disappearing under the tarmc of the main road. At the time I was told that these were the last remaining tram lines in London.

The was the Crown and Cushion pub near the power station. They used controlled explosions to demolish the chimneys of this power station as I remember my Dad taking us towards Shrewsbury Park to watch them come down in the distance.

My mum's side of the family has a fairly long association with Woolwich and Plumstead, with employment found in the dockyard as a shipwright and in the arsenal. I'd love to know where Dairy Place was in Woolwich; the birthplace of one of my forefathers.

Fascinating place for lots of reasons.

There's a Dairy Lane at the back of Milne house at the top of Frances Street.
  • Earliest memories of woolwich are when me and my mates would sneak into foxfield of a weekend and play footy.
    Saw many things whilst growing up round that way, many unsavoury things.

Worked setting up a stall on the market as a teenager before moving out of my folks place.

Recently found myself back around that way. The place is constantly changing and has been since I can remember but was pleasantly surprised to see some of the developments in the pipeline- cinemas,the revamp of the covered market/spray st but more interested in
    something I saw from antic to put another pub just off Powis st, can't be bad seeing as they have done a fine job with the equitable.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it!
  • edited November 2016
    Was anyone else an ABC Minor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzWjw7AO_Xo
  • TelMc32 said:

I can remember my Dad taking me to Cuffs and being amazed at the toy department, with all the glass display cabinets. My grandparents used to take me to the market and we used to watch the guy selling stuff on a big stall. He always used to have a big crowd watching him.

Pretty much the same. Always remember the fella (John, I'm sure) selling stuff in the market. Bought mum & dad a carriage clock off him with my first pocket money, as their Christmas pressie. His patter was always the same..."I don't want £20, I don't want 15, I don't even want a tenner...give me FIVE POUNDS!!" Git got me every time with a right load of tat!! :wink:

Mind you, mum & dad had that carriage clock for years! And I'm sure I remember having a bit of a crush on John's missus. :smile:
    Early 80's I bought some audio blank tapes from him (to record the top 40). Absolute crap, the tapes "stuck" and then you had to try and pull them out of the cassette player and then wind them back in. Lol.
  • Was anyone else an ABC Minor?

Yes - and mainly just to wind up the short, fat, bald manager who used to get stick on the stage before it all started. Kids lining up on the stage with their birthday cards so they could get a free ticket for the following week - and it was the same kids every week which used to wind him up even more.

I still remember every word of the song too!
  • Curb_It said:

Onlyme said:

Long gone, sadly.

Shame,
    I did hear that The Lord Raglan in Burrage Road is no longer open, is that the case?

I walk past every morning and haven't noticed. Not that it's open at that time of the day. I'm sure it's still open just looks dark inside. Will check.

I had a mate who we saw play some gig there.
  • I'm sure they had stooges in the crowd when the "good stuff" was auctioned cheaply. Loads of hands went up to buy but only a select few were sold the stuff. Then he got everyone else with the tat!
  • I worked on Dolly's seafood stall in the early 80's in Woolwich market. I think I've mentioned this before. My brother told me to stop wearing his work coat there because people kept moaning he stunk like a kipper on a Monday morning on site.... people used to move away from me on the 96 on the way home.

God that was a job.

"Cockles, get your winkles here, 30 pence half a pint."
  • Sponsored links:

• We saw Grease at the ABC in Wellington Street. The queue to get in, went right round the block and back to the start, must have been thousands. My mate started to talk to someone at the front of the queue and we got in sharpish. I asked him who she was and he said he had no idea :wink:
  • I went to see Superman at the ABC. The queue was just as long. I remember paying about 40p to see a movie there but when Superman came out and they knew it was popular, they stuck the price up to 75p. I didn't have enough on me and had to go home and go back another day.
  • edited November 2016
    LenGlover said:

Anyone else remember the smallpox scare of the early sixties?

Hundreds in a queue for vaccinations at or near the swimming pools in Market Street.

A bloke in Shrewsbury Lane contracted it first of all (fortunately he survived) and it made the National news thus generating the vaccination panic referred to.

I certainly do @LenGlover had mine at Plumstead baths medical centre though.
  • Was anyone else an ABC Minor?

Yes & I loved that song.
  • edited November 2016
    Curb_It said:

I worked on Dolly's seafood stall in the early 80's in Woolwich market. I think I've mentioned this before. My brother told me to stop wearing his work coat there because people kept moaning he stunk like a kipper on a Monday morning on site.... people used to move away from me on the 96 on the way home.

God that was a job.

"Cockles, get your winkles here
    , 30 pence half a pint."

I'm tempted to respond to this Curb_it but I know loss of my life is not worth it, I'm going to leave it to @DaveMehmet :wink: .
  • Curb_It said:

I worked on Dolly's seafood stall in the early 80's in Woolwich market. I think I've mentioned this before. My brother told me to stop wearing his work coat there because people kept moaning he stunk like a kipper on a Monday morning on site.... people used to move away from me on the 96 on the way home.

God that was a job.

"Cockles, get your winkles here, 30 pence half a pint."

Can't wait until Dave Mehmet reads this. It's far too easy & I value my life.

• Lots of great memories here.

I always remember watching in disbelief when they were pulling down Cuffs. As a kid I was thinking how could they get rid of such a great shop!? Something great must be going in its place I thought..

Other things I remember from Woolwich of old (already mentioned a few times) are Sams, the army surplus place near the covered market. Incidentally there is now a fast food place called Sams along there now, near the Woolwich Infant pub.

On the cobbled road of the market place used to be some disused tram lines running out and disappearing under the tarmc of the main road. At the time I was told that these were the last remaining tram lines in London.

The was the Crown and Cushion pub near the power station. They used controlled explosions to demolish the chimneys of this power station as I remember my Dad taking us towards Shrewsbury Park to watch them come down in the distance.

My mum's side of the family has a fairly long association with Woolwich and Plumstead, with employment found in the dockyard as a shipwright and in the arsenal. I'd love to know where Dairy Place was in Woolwich; the birthplace of one of my forefathers.

There's a Dairy Lane at the back of Milne house at the top of Frances Street.
    Thanks Stu, I've not picked up on that before and it could well be the location as they also lived at #1 Frances Street. I will check an old map.
  • The Raglan still going, they still have a Pool team.

This was my first Pub I drank in at 14 years old;
    I blagged the Landlord with my brother's Student Union card that i stuck my photo on.
    When I celebrated my 18th birthday there, and he found out, he done his
    bollocks !!
  • Lots of great memories here.

Dairy Place was possibly off Dairy Lane (originally Back Lane) near Frances Street?