Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Ipswich | Tue 26 July | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Ipswich Town
Tuesday 26 July 2016 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Pre-Season Friendly @ the Valley

Introduction

And so the end of pre-season is almost here, it’s almost to put aside the drab boring fixtures that (somehow) fans never expect as the new Football season is almost upon us, its’ almost time for the real Football to begin…

Keeping the focus on pre-season though, this summer has seen us traveling from the playing grounds of South East London to the lush green countryside of Austria; we’ve faced sides from the Non-League pyramid to the Russian, from the English League Two to the Israeli Premier League... We now only have two fixtures remaining before Bury yet this Tuesday night will surely be the real test for Russell Slade and his random collection as Football finally returns to the Valley this Tuesday night as we play host to Ipswich Town.

The Opposition
Name: Ipswich Town | Manager: Mick McCarthy
Division: The Championship
Pre-Season Friendlies
- Shelbourne 1-2 Ipswich Town
- Barnet 1-0 Ipswich Town
- Colchester United 0-1 Ipswich Town
- Cambridge United 1-1 Ipswich Town

Our opponents don’t really need an introduction do they… For those who actually bother to read my Match Previews (probably about one of you) you’ll have been rewarded with two riveting articles to read last season as we faced Ipswich home and away in our rather disastrous campaign.

As per the season before last… the Addicks played host to Ipswich on the TV and history pretty much repeated itself with Ipswich once again taking three points from the Valley (a 3-0 win that Ipswich shouldn’t be proud of as everyone managed that scoreline), our match at Portman Road was a completely different story and was proof that Charlton were going down simply because we couldn’t convert our chances, time and again the Addicks had opportunity to take three points back to London yet a 0-0 draw all but confirmed relegation.

After finishing 7th last time out though (beaten to the Play-Offs by Sheffield Wednesday and just five points), tomorrow night should be a good test… time and again Mick McCarthy and his Ipswich side just miss out on promotion to the Premier League and will no doubt be up there again this time round, it’s debatable whether the Tractor Boys will manage it (especially with an even quieter transfer window than our own) yet with Mick at the helm, they certainly won’t be lacking effort and commitment.

Team News
Andrew Crofts (recently signed on a one year deal) missed the match against Leyton Orient on Saturday because of a dead leg, along with Chris Solly and Nicky Ajose he should return tomorrow night whilst Russell Slade hinted that Ademola Lookman could play a part… Newly signed on trial is Oscar Gobern after being released from Queens Park Rangers so he too could appear tomorrow in Charlton side that needs to find as much experience (from somewhere) as possible.

Prediction
No disrespect to RKC (or any other team faced) yet Ipswich without doubt are going to be our hardest pre-season friendly of the whole summer, both teams will be at the same levels of fitness yet Ipswich are still very much the same squad we faced in April having made very few transfers…

A draw wouldn’t be a bad result yet a win is entirely possible and will deliver a much needed confidence boost to Russell Slade and his young Charlton team ahead of the upcoming campaign.

Comments

• Lose by at least 2 goals
  • My birthday - I will not be ruining it by going to watch!!
  • My birthday - I will not be ruining it by going to watch!!

Happy birthday for tomorrow and guess what? I know what your surprise present is :wink: .
  • RedChaser said:

My birthday - I will not be ruining it by going to watch!!

Happy birthday for tomorrow and guess what? I know what your surprise present is :wink: .
    Roland selling up?!
  • RedChaser said:

Roland selling up?!
    Can't tell ya, it wouldn't be a surprise then! :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• Ipswich field a weakened team. We win 1-0 against the run of play. KM thinks the result means we are League 1 champions elect. Bury scout sits in stand feeling confident.
  • edited July 2016

Patrick Bauer ‏@patrick5bauer 57m57 minutes ago
    Really excited to be back painfree in full training with the lads! Buzzing to make my first appearance in this season soon!

Been doing all that fitness work all summer. 30 mins tomorrow. 60 mins on Saturday. Start v Bury.

Job done. Pearce / Tex and Bauer. Bench for RoJo.

Bet it won't be that simple.
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • RedChaser said:

It's a season ticket - not just any season ticket....it's a west stand season ticket
  • Patrick Bauer ‏@patrick5bauer 57m57 minutes ago
    Really excited to be back painfree in full training with the lads! Buzzing to make my first appearance in this season soon!

Been doing all that fitness work all summer. 30 mins tomorrow. 60 mins on Saturday. Start v Bury.

Sold the day after.
  • Very small number of advance tickets sold for this - you can see on the system that they have blocked out hundreds for comps, probably to the community trust, but not much sign of anything else.
  • We won our last friendly against Ipswich at home. Lost all our four homes against them. We lost to Bromley. So knowing fate we will beat Ipswich in this up comming friendly.
  • It should have been free to season ticket holders so the new tickets and the machines could have been tested
  • Sponsored links:

• Fox loses possession, Ipswich score rojo calls him a c......that they exchange blows both get sent off.

We win 7. 0
  • Fox loses possession, Ipswich score rojo calls him a c......that they exchange blows both get sent off.

We win 7. 0

Well that makes zero sense
  • What minute are we getting this one abandoned ... ?

:- )
  • sam3110 said:

Fox loses possession, Ipswich score rojo calls him a c......that they exchange blows both get sent off.

We win 7. 0

It does to me
  • We will be mullered!

1-4
  • I'm going with Golfie Jnr - hoping to walk up & buy tickets 20 mins b4 kick-off. Not likely to be a £3 surcharge is there ??
  • Just to let you know I will be unavailable for a match thread tomorrow night due to previous arrangements. My next game will be Bury, as I'm also out this coming Saturday. Apologies to all.
  • sam3110 said:

Fox loses possession, Ipswich score rojo calls him a c......that they exchange blows both get sent off.

We win 7. 0

That took me far too long to spot!
  • We usually do badly against Ipswich anyway. Gonna get battered even more so now, unless they play trialists and youngsters then we will only lose.