Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CARD Statement: Slade Appointment

CHARLTON PROTESTS UNAFFECTED BY DUCHATELET’S SIXTH MANAGERIAL APPOINTMENT IN 27 MONTHS

The Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD) welcomes Russell Slade to Charlton Athletic.

Like all Charlton fans we want the team to be successful in the short and long term, so we hope that he will be given the necessary freedom and support to ensure he has a realistic opportunity to make this happen.

However, Slade is the seventh incumbent since the current regime took over in January 2014, and as such we have to regard the owner’s willingness to fulfil any promises made to get him to join the club with substantial scepticism.

We recognise that this is the first of Duchatelet’s appointments not to come via Belgium and that this does represent a shift in policy of itself, as is giving him the title of “manager”.

However, we note that departing head coach Jose Riga identified the “club structure” as his reason to leave and we remain unconvinced this will change materially in the medium term. Had Riga believed that it would change then presumably he would have been willing to continue. In fact, on leaving the club, every one of the previous bosses has criticised the restrictions imposed on them from above.

Specifically, we question the plausibility of any apparent change in direction while chief executive Katrien Meire continues in place. It is difficult to see how the club can regain any credibility as long as someone whose personal performance has been so consistently poor over two and half years remains in such a key post. The fact that she is still there is a clear indication of the owner's lack of judgement.

The club's transfer activity has been a particular disaster, with large sums of money wasted under her authority. Despite recruiting dozens and dozens of new players in two and a half years, Charlton have yet to sign a single experienced British player directly from a British club under this regime other than on a loan basis, something which is clearly untenable as a policy given the differences between the continental European and English leagues.

CARD’s protests will carry on into next season unabated as we continue to push for the owner to sell the club, because we do not believe he is capable of making the changes required, on or off the field.

If we are wrong then it is for him to prove otherwise by his actions over time.

The regime's words no longer carry any weight.

Comments

• Spot on as usual.

As Airman noted a few days ago, this is a war of attrition and we must keep the pressure on the regime until they throw in the towel and bugger off back where they came from.
  • Well said. Certainly I bear no particular malice to Mr Slade on a personal level but once he signs on under the Belgians, as far as I am concerned he's made his own bed and must lie in it. Should he be the first of our seven managers under the current ownership to actually gain any sort of independent control then I will be the first to applaud him, but sadly I fear it will be the sound of silence greeting his first game in charge.
  • Moreso than ever we need to get behind the team.

If we don't get out of the division at the first time of asking we run the risk of staying for a while and nobody wants that.
  • It is not a massive move forward. I have no idea whether Russell Slade is taking a job because he needs one and will let KM and RD still make decisions that are a disaster for the club.
    A massive move forward is RD sells the club to competent owners.
    A significant move forward is to take KM away from the club.

• The one person above all others who has consistently failed to get behind the team or the manager is Roland Duchatelet.

great line

• Once again excellant statement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done again CARD, spot on in tone and content. This concept that the fans will not give Slade the same fair chance all the others have had is ridiculous. No one wants him to do badly. No one.
  • Swisdom said:

Moreso than ever we need to get behind the team.

Charlton supporters have been pretty consistent with getting behind the team and managers in the whole time I've been going. Never known anyone not to be giving a chance from the off other than Fraeye, but he was never a manager as everyone would agree.

The one person above all others who has consistently failed to get behind the team or the manager is Roland Duchatelet.

It's what has lead us to this position of why so many people want him to have nothing more to do with the club.

I don't understand how people cannot see that?

exactly no amount of cheering the team on made any difference last year and it never really does , the onus is on the clown owner not us supporters who more often than not have supported the team no matter how shit we are
  • CARD said:

CARD’s protests will carry on into next season unabated as we continue to push for the owner to sell the club, because we do not believe he is capable of making the changes required, on or off the field.

And what if things do change... at what point do the protests stop and do CARD consider that they can say "job done"? I agree that it's unlikely and he won't change but what if...? Just playing devil's advocate here.
  • CARD said:

CHARLTON PROTESTS UNAFFECTED BY DUCHATELET’S SIXTH MANAGERIAL APPOINTMENT IN 27 MONTHS

The Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD) welcomes Russell Slade to Charlton Athletic.
    The club's transfer activity has been a particular disaster, with large sums of money wasted under her authority. Despite recruiting dozens and dozens of new players in two and a half years, Charlton have yet to sign a single experienced British player directly from a British club under this regime other than on a loan basis, something which is clearly untenable as a policy given the differences between the continental European and English leagues.

I take it we're not counting Ba as he was not "experienced?"

Sorry to nitpick, just not convinced there's much value for money in England at the moment. Goes without saying we needed more English/Championship experience last year. I just fear that when we get caught up on "British," be they managers or players (or players with British experience), we somewhat limit ourselves to what is an overall problem with recruitment and club structure. It feels like the 180 that led to Slade being appointed is a part of a movement toward British, but I'm unconvinced that recruiting British players, particularly the best of the lower leagues, is the way forward for us.
  • Does the 3 year contract suggest Roland will be here for longer than we hope!?
  • We need a spine of a team that's prepared to play for Charlton. Don't give a shit what country they come from.

Diarra, Solly, Fox, Bauer, Kashi, cousins, watt...that would do very nicely as a starting point (if a little wishful thinking).

• The fact is this regime have shown themselves to consistently lie and most of us have no trust whatsoever in them. It will take a lot more than one decision for me to stop protesting.
    Someone above asked at what point do we stop. Well even if we won the league with 101 points I would still not trust them an inch. Not that there is any chance of that happening.
    We want Roland Out
  • colin1961 said:

SDAddick said:

CARD said:

Sorry to nitpick, just not convinced there's much value for money in England at the moment. Goes without saying we needed more English/Championship experience last year. I just fear that when we get caught up on "British," be they managers or players (or players with British experience), we somewhat limit ourselves to what is an overall problem with recruitment and club structure. It feels like the 180 that led to Slade being appointed is a part of a movement toward British, but I'm unconvinced that recruiting British players, particularly the best of the lower leagues, is the way forward for us.
    There better bargains on the foreign market look at Gudmunnson , Jorge T .....look at the English players Johnson , Poyet I know which two I have

The English game is full of foreign players good or bad it's not just a Charlton thing , look at Tom Bradahaw we were quoted 4 mill for him and got Vetokeke who played in the champions league for 2.4 mill .....
    ...And he is shite...
  • SDAddick said:

CARD said:

I think the point is that the regime transfer (and coach) recruitment policy has had the appearance of being so anti-British (experience) as to be almost xenophobic. We need something more balanced and this might be a start. I certainly don't want millions wasted on 'British' crap any more than I wanted millions wasted on the 'foreign' crap over the last couple of seasons - lets have a mixture of British/foreign/youth crap then we'll ALL have something to moan about :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

CARD said:

The point is that NO British signings as a policy is a ridiculous position. And there is no value for money in signing foreign players who aren't suited to the league - not that there is anything wrong with foreign players per se.

Duchatelet has been attempting to outperform the market without expertise. No wonder he has failed.
    Agreed, although it's not that we've had no British signings, we've just had mediocre ones--Johnson, Eagles, Etheridge.

I take the point of the statement, and what qualifies good versus bad signings is subjective, complex, and time-based. I get why CARD's statement says what it says, I just try to look for greater nuance so that we don't fall into the trap of "British signings and manager=improvement."
  • CARD said:

And what if things do change... at what point do the protests stop and do CARD consider that they can say "job done"? I agree that it's unlikely and he won't change but what if...? Just playing devil's advocate here.
    We'll know. Like you say it's unlikely but we will know.
  • Not everything needs a statement after it you know
  • Brilliant statement as usual. Spot on
  • sam3110 said:

Not everything needs a statement after it you know

I agree, but for CARD, this is a PR game as much as it is anything else. Staying relevant, staying in the news, and in the minds of both the press and Charlton fans is arguably the most important thing they can do during the offseason. I put forth my critiques above, though they're based around subtitles that Press Releases aren't really designed for. That said, I think it's important for them to convey the message that "This changes nothing as of now." And in my opinion, nor should it.
  • edited June 2016
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

CARD said:

The point is that NO British signings as a policy is a ridiculous position. And there is no value for money in signing foreign players who aren't suited to the league - not that there is anything wrong with foreign players per se.

Duchatelet has been attempting to outperform the market without expertise. No wonder he has failed.

Agreed, although it's not that we've had no British signings, we've just had mediocre ones--Johnson, Eagles, Etheridge.

I take the point of the statement, and what qualifies good versus bad signings is subjective, complex, and time-based. I get why CARD's statement says what it says, I just try to look for greater nuance so that we don't fall into the trap of "British signings and manager=improvement."
    That's been all about not paying a transfer fee, though. There's a reason players are unattached.