Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Purchasing a greyhound

Anyone on here ever bought a greyhound to race?

Thinking about it myself, but want others thoughts..

Comments

• Our family had a couple years ago, and ran them at Catford. You will need to find a trusted trainer who can find you a hound, and train it. Only a very few percentage of dogs pay for themselves.
    They also make fantastic pets.
  • Had a couple early 90s, great fun following them, they ran at hove mostly but were in a few open races at milton keynes, crayford, romford etc

both were fantastic pets too.

If you're sussex based can recommend a good trainer
  • My parents had one that ran Catford about 20-25 years ago, Funny Fluff was his name, even won dog of the month one November! I can't remember the name of the trainer though
  • I know a bloke in California who bought an old Greyhound Bus and converted it into a mobile home ... bargain and a cheap way to get around the USofA
  • Chuckle brothers here tonight..
  • watch the old steptoe and son movie , maybe you could get some tips.
  • I can feel a syndicate coming on here. So what we going to call the greyhound.
  • Just want one thread where RD KM aren't mentioned. :neutral:
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought this was about our new left winger!
  • Where about's are you iamdan ? I own a racing Greyhound who races at Sittingbourne & I know a number of trainers there.
  • I can feel a syndicate coming on here. So what we going to call the greyhound.

It should be called "my only desire"
  • Pm fatrob he always had greyhounds,

Katrien.

Or is that unacceptable?
  • iamdan said:

Just want one thread where RD KM aren't mentioned. :neutral:

Oops, sorry!

Good night out is the greyhounds, scampi and chips, beers and a moan at your mate for being a flukey bastard.

Can I suggest 'Number 7' or 'The Little Horse' as names?
  • edited November 2015
    How about calling him Pringle?, fast but will probably fall over at the first bend.
  • I own one already. Only an A3 dog but gives us an evening out most weeks. Part of a syndicate. Great fun and highly recommended. If you want to win big races, the chances are you'll have to spend big money ie £5k plus.
  • Would be great to call it Charlton life if you do get one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Love your review Ralph.
  • Would be great to be part of a syndicate, how about Charlton Upbeat for a name?
  • How about "Siddaaaaarn"?
  • smiffyboy said:

iamdan said:

Anyone on here ever bought a greyhound to race?

Thinking about it myself, but want others thoughts..

Training cost is about £45 a week and a half decent dog is £1000+
    Blimey those prices are a bit in the past. Most trainers are now £7.50 to £8 a day plus vat. Chances of getting even half decent dog for £1000 is low.

Had dogs for over 35 years and was heavily involved up until,10 years ago. Now, just dabble with a syndicate. It's a great sport and a very social world to be in. However, buying a dog is a minefield. Racing life is short from 16 months to 4 if your lucky. What do you want , dog or bitch, bitch will have a season each year which means 3 months off, and you still get the bill. Dogs get injured, vets are expensive, and you still get the bill. The dog is losing and your doing your money, but you still get the bill. The racing manager has complete control over your destiny in graded racing, and owners have little voice in what happens with their dog. This is not a path to riches, the sport, believe or not is very straight these days, the drug testing is top notch, and track vets are experts in spotting anything dodgy. Trainers, can not help you have it off, they are not going to risk their career, because you offer them a good drink for fitting up a winner. A good trainer can read a race and evaluate your chance of winning, but ultimately its only an opinion. I work out what I think, if the trainers view and mine match and we both think there's a chance, then il have a bet.

Where to buy a dog. Trainers have runners for sale, you know exactly what your getting as the dog is exposed and form is known. Trainers may have pups for sale that are near race age, you don,t know what your getting, and it's a gamble, Derby winner ? Or can,t grade ? Buy from an auction, these are held fairly regularly around the country. These are usually Irish imports with a few lines of Irish race form, you need to research before a sale how good or bad that form is.

I could go on a lot more. Be interested to know where you would think of placing the dog, Wimbledon,Romford, Crayford, Sittingbourne or Hove , could possibly recommend a trainer.

Having owned a lot of decent dogs in the past I would say you have summed up the position perfectly.
    You can have a lot of fun but don't expect to make any money out of it unless you are a very good judge
  • Thanks Raplh, really good post and insight.
    Spoke to local trainer yesterday, Kate O'Flaherty and meeting her Tuesday to talk about syndicates.
  • Kate,is at Crayford. Whilst I have nothing bad to say about her, I believe her kennels are in Suffolk. So Sunday morning trips to visit the dog could be a jaunt, if your South London based. As its Crayford which is where I had most of my dogs, you should be looking for a dog with early pace, and not to big. A 36 kilo dog is fine for a large track like Hove, but Crayford is more suited to a 28 Kilo type. Try and get something that stays, having a dog that can run bothe the 380 and 540 trips is a definite plus, and will enhance your winning opportunities.
  • Good luck iamdan and good advice ralphmilne you have covered everything especially as regards Crayford too.I had a dog there many years back with Dinky Luckhurst