Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Purchasing a greyhound

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2015
    iamdan said:

Anyone on here ever bought a greyhound to race?

Thinking about it myself, but want others thoughts..

Got two of my own mate, both currently attached to Crayford. I've always loved greyhound racing so last year thought I'd have a slice of the action myself. Me and four friends bought one from a recommended conatact in Ireland, and we own her privately. My other dog is part of a syndicate made up of other people I don't know. It's done on a percentage basis. If you own 20% of your dog, you pay 20% of the bill but you're entitled to 20% of the prize money too.

Like with anything though, you get what you pay for. One of ours cost £700 (140 each) and is slowly making her way through the grades after a pretty poor start. That's to be expected though. In greyhound terms, that's quite cheap. The other one was just over a grand split between 9 others. Both win races at a greater ratio of 1 in 6, which to be honest, is all I really want.

Kennel bills are typically anywhere between £220 and £280 a month, depending on where your dog is kennelled. It sounds like a lot, but even if your dog runs four races in a month (sometimes they can get 5 races in), you're guaranteed at least £120 back in prize money. A dog that finishes last at your average Crayford race will still "earn" £31 at the moment. A winning dog in typical A8-A3 races typical will earn around £107. So if you have one winner a month and the rest of the time your dog comes out backwards, you're normally looking at a modest bill.

As someone else previously pointed out though, there are no guarantees in racing. The first ever dog we bought never actually ran a race because she'd injured her wrist during trialling. Fortunately for me, the trainer I use is a decent bloke and got a similarly-rated dog sent over from Ireland as a replacement, at no extra cost. The injured dog was then homed thankfully.

If you're not really bothered about the quality of racing then I'd recommend you pick up a cheaper dog to start with. For £500 you can have a bit of fun but don't expect a greyhound at that price to be appearing in any open races! It can and has happened, but it's rare. As mentioned above, bitches do go into season every 9 months or so and the non-racing period can be anything from between 5 weeks and 3 months. One of my bitches was brought back from season a little too soon and in the end was out for around 10 weeks. The other was in and out of season in just over 4 weeks and won her first race back by a mile.

If you're local I'd guess you might envisage her running at Crayford. You'll therefore be well aware that the first bend there is treacherous, and trapping is absolutely crucial. With that in mind I'd suggest you specify a dog with early pace or the ability to break quickly - something that's not as important over longer distance races. Over 380m at Crayford though, if your dog isn't quick out the blocks you can write the race off at the first corner.

If you'd like me to put you in touch with the trainer I use, I'd be very happy to drop you a PM? Been using him for about a year and he's as good as gold. It's a nice kennel with its own track and woodland nearby, so there's also plenty of scope for you taking your own dog out for walks and whatnot, should you wish to! Good luck.
  • Options
    I was going to say if Crayford Julie Luckhurst or Barry O'Sullivan, although Dean Childs is there now and he's a top trainer, a bit of a coup for Crayford.
  • Options
    I’ve just bought another two greyhounds after a few years away from the sport. I’ve owned about 30 dogs in the past.

I picked up a bitch pup for 1800 who is really well bred and ran well in Ireland and I bought a cheaper dog that had some nice races in Ireland.

Like a few of my dogs in the past I’ve put them with Julie Luckhurst.
  • Options

Kate,is at Crayford. Whilst I have nothing bad to say about her, I believe her kennels are in Suffolk. So Sunday morning trips to visit the dog could be a jaunt, if your South London based. As its Crayford which is where I had most of my dogs, you should be looking for a dog with early pace, and not to big. A 36 kilo dog is fine for a large track like Hove, but Crayford is more suited to a 28 Kilo type. Try and get something that stays, having a dog that can run bothe the 380 and 540 trips is a definite plus, and will enhance your winning opportunities.

Katie now trains at Keston, I was actually going to put a dog with her but they went home during the auctions so they’ve missed out on a potential open class bitch in their kennel.
  • Options

I’ve just bought another two greyhounds after a few years away from the sport. I’ve owned about 30 dogs in the past.

I picked up a bitch pup for 1800 who is really well bred and ran well in Ireland and I bought a cheaper dog that had some nice races in Ireland.

What's the name of her mate? Will keep an eye out. Best of luck!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Why has nobody thought of chihuahua racing? The track can be a lot smaller and they are pretty quick and agile for their size.
  • Options

Why has nobody thought of chihuahua racing? The track can be a lot smaller and they are pretty quick and agile for their size.

They'd get bullied by the hare.
  • Options
    Top two most aggressive breeds according to a recent study - 1) Daschund (can't see this form of racing working to be fair - too slow). 2) Chihuahua. They'd have a go at the hare, no problem.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Did you pick them both up at the auction at Crayford on Wednesday. Was it well attended ?
  • Options
    Otto has had a few dogs over the years, I'm surprised he has not contributed to this thread.
  • Options
    If its racing excitement + money you are after read no more
    Pedigree Whippets are faster than Greyhounds over shorter distances
    They double up as pets and live with you for minimal cost
    Pedigree Whippet racing clubs across UK
    Nearest Maidstone
    No gambling and sport strictly governed
    Lots of competition broad social spectrum of people plenty of rows -always great fun - dogs love it
  • Options
    I have not owned any greyhounds since Catford closed. The track there was a bit tight but I had dogs at Crayford with Dinky and was unlucky with injuries caused by that first bend.
  • Options
    Good luck wellingfan,I had a dog many many years ago at Crayford with Dinky
  • Options

We should have a charlton life greyhound, if we got lots of us interested i am sure it wouldn't cost that much.

• Options
    shirty5 said:

We should have a charlton life greyhound, if we got lots of us interested i am sure it wouldn't cost that much.

@Henry Irving is looking a bit rough there.

Are brown cardigans the new in thing?
  • Options

that would be superb!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Enter YUKI our new adopted 5year old Grayhound. Been racing till August.
    Our 2nd Grayhound following the death of our much loved 10 years old Chewy, exactly a year ago.
    We are suppose to foster her for 4 weeks and then make a decision, but as far as I'm concerned she's going nowhere !!!

couldn't recommend more, adopting any dog that needs a home.

Love it...

(don't be fooled by her looks, she's an Addick through and through)

Brilliant - they make great pets!! Where did you get her from? My latest one came from Harvel Kennels and is superb. She settled into our home with no problems, even with the residency of another dog and a cat.

I love greyhound racing but am really conflicted when I see the numbers that, following retirement, are looking for homes. And they are the ones that don't end up in the wheelbarrow.

• Options
    1905 said:

Enter YUKI our new adopted 5year old Grayhound. Been racing till August.
    Our 2nd Grayhound following the death of our much loved 10 years old Chewy, exactly a year ago.
    We are suppose to foster her for 4 weeks and then make a decision, but as far as I'm concerned she's going nowhere !!!

couldn't recommend more, adopting any dog that needs a home.

Love it...

(don't be fooled by her looks, she's an Addick through and through)

Brilliant - they make great pets!! Where did you get her from? My latest one came from Harvel Kennels and is superb. She settled into our home with no problems, even with the residency of another dog and a cat.

I love greyhound racing but am really conflicted when I see the numbers that, following retirement, are looking for homes. And they are the ones that don't end up in the wheelbarrow.

We live in Perth Western Australia. There are a few organizations that puts up ex racing Grayhound dogs for adoption. We've used 'Grayhounds As Pets (GAP) with both our dogs. Yes agree, they are amazing pets. And yes the future prospects for ex or non racing Grayhounds are pretty grim here too, so it's nice to be able to provide decent life to a living being in the process.
  • Options
    iamdan said:

Chuckle brothers here tonight..

Well one of them anyway!

• Options
    Not trying to start an argument on this thread, particularly as I'm off to Sittingbourne dogs on Sunday for some racing and a soup in a basket, but I'd be interested to know what @Anna_Kissed views are on dog racing.

I respect their opinion on horse racing and find it good to balance out with some cons - the obvious one to my mind being once they no longer race their seems to be no 'exit plan' for the dog's future.
  • Options

that would be superb!
    I'd be up for this
  • Options
    Call it 'Dennis in the last minute'
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Addickted said:

Not trying to start an argument on this thread, particularly as I'm off to Sittingbourne dogs on Sunday for some racing and a soup in a basket, but I'd be interested to know what @Anna_Kissed views are on dog racing.

I respect their opinion on horse racing and find it good to balance out with some cons - the obvious one to my mind being once they no longer race their seems to be no 'exit plan' for the dog's future.

If you own a dog, it should be loved for life. If we had a plan that put the dog first, i'd be interested.
  • Options

Hello, @Addickted. Thank you for your enquiry.

I cannot endorse the racing of an animal for human entertainment and monetary gain. It is, I think, another example of the commodification of an animal to suit human desire.

Given that the entity exists, and given that it results (death aside) in an 'ex-racing dog'...
    I have friends who have homed ex-racing greyhounds. The dogs that I have met have found loving homes and are, for the most part, docile and relaxed within the house and when in company. That said, the need to run, inherent in the dog, may see it anxious and frustrated if it cannot run freely. If it has the opportunity to run, and enjoy it without causing upset to others - human and non-human - that is to be welcomed.
    I can only hope for the best - that is, an owner (owners) who care.

However, the best policy, as I [we] see things is this:
    To do away with animal-based 'entertainment' - which is centered on monetary gain and human interference.

Let the animal be as the animal would naturally be...free of human will, and greed.

With best wishes, as ever.

What are your thoughts on the poor little hare being chased by the nasty greyhounds?
  • Options
    Danepak said:

Call it 'Dennis in the last minute'

Not a bad shout.
    Personally I would call it Roland OUT