Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Purchasing a greyhound

13»

Comments

• Options

Hello, @Addickted. Thank you for your enquiry.

I cannot endorse the racing of an animal for human entertainment and monetary gain. It is, I think, another example of the commodification of an animal to suit human desire.

Given that the entity exists, and given that it results (death aside) in an 'ex-racing dog'...
    I have friends who have homed ex-racing greyhounds. The dogs that I have met have found loving homes and are, for the most part, docile and relaxed within the house and when in company. That said, the need to run, inherent in the dog, may see it anxious and frustrated if it cannot run freely. If it has the opportunity to run, and enjoy it without causing upset to others - human and non-human - that is to be welcomed.
    I can only hope for the best - that is, an owner (owners) who care.

However, the best policy, as I [we] see things is this:
    To do away with animal-based 'entertainment' - which is centered on monetary gain and human interference.

Let the animal be as the animal would naturally be...free of human will, and greed.

With best wishes, as ever.

Thanks @Anna_Kissed
  • Options

Danepak said:

Call it 'Dennis in the last minute'

Not a bad shout.
    Personally I would call it Roland OUT
    Hopefully the dog will race for many years beyond the departure of our incompetent owner. When he's left, the name will be irrelevant.
  • Options
    Be cheaper to buy a ferret and enter ferret-legging competition's in Yorkshire
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Be cheaper to buy a ferret and enter ferret-legging competition's in Yorkshire

I'll bring one back tomorrow.
  • Options

I cannot endorse the racing of an animal for human entertainment and monetary gain. It is, I think, another example of the commodification of an animal to suit human desire.

Given that the entity exists, and given that it results (death aside) in an 'ex-racing dog'...
    I have friends who have homed ex-racing greyhounds. The dogs that I have met have found loving homes and are, for the most part, docile and relaxed within the house and when in company. That said, the need to run, inherent in the dog, may see it anxious and frustrated if it cannot run freely. If it has the opportunity to run, and enjoy it without causing upset to others - human and non-human - that is to be welcomed.

To do away with animal-based 'entertainment' - which is centered on monetary gain and human interference.

Let the animal be as the animal would naturally be...free of human will, and greed.

A genuine question and I'm not attempting to be provocative. Based on that comment, are you against all interference by human will on any creature? So for example, are you against the concept of people keeping dogs or cats as pets, because they are certainly not free of human will.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

A genuine question and I'm not attempting to be provocative. Based on that comment, are you against all interference by human will on any creature? So for example, are you against the concept of people keeping dogs or cats as pets, because they are certainly not free of human will.
    Great point.
    While on the subject of free will, you can probably add marriage into the mix and get a wonderful Babbaganoush of a thread.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I think the dogs enjoy racing so I can't see an issue with that, but we all know there is a serious issue when the dog's career is over. That isn't acceptable.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I asked Anna the following on the deaths at Cheltenham thread regarding the human interference aspect.

Do guide dogs for the blind, hearing dogs for the deaf, sniffer dogs, police dogs and horses, the kings troop or any non thoroughbred horse that is ridden or pulls a carriage etc “rather not have it this way”?
    All fall under the human interference argument so are any of these targeted?
    I’d imagine, though don’t know the facts that particularly the kings troop horses undergo similar breaking in to that of a race horse and am sure there are accidents that result in deaths.
    I’m genuinely interested how, percentage wise those compare to horse racing.

Where does the human interference line get drawn? Vets?
  • Options
    Nothing wrong in being compassionate for the creatures. Thankfully we don't get dog or rooster fighting as an acceptable sport anymore because people like Anna raised concerns and they were banned. It is callous that greyhounds get jettisoned when their racing careers are over and even worse that horses are frequently killed when they get damaged at the races. We have cats in our house but if we ever wanted a dog I would choose an ex racing greyhound. My mate has one and it is a wonderful companion.
  • Options
    True story ... my mate used to own a stake in a greyhound. Used to race it at Romford. Wasn't quick enough for the shorter distances. Didn't have the stamina for the longer distances. On the longer distances, she would go off like lighting and pull up just before the finish line. We nick named her Scurlow Cramp.