Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

End of season fun. Riddles.

Comments

• You're at the south end of a large rectangular field of corn. Surrounded by unscalable walls, you can't tunnel out, get rescued or any of that sort of stuff.
    There is one exit door in the north wall. Unfortunately, there is also a wall of fire that stretches the entire width of the field and the wind is blowing south (and will continue to do so). The fire is too hot for you to go through it. how do you escape?

Grab a handful of corn, walk north and put it in the fire to make a torch. Then walk a safe distance south then start another wall of fire. That fire will go south and you can tread on the burnt corn it leaves behind. The fire to the north of you will eventually reach where the second fire started and then burn out as there is no more corn to burn. Once the northern fire is extinguished, walk to the northern door.
  • Fiiish said:

You're at the south end of a large rectangular field of corn. Surrounded by unscalable walls, you can't tunnel out, get rescued or any of that sort of stuff.
    There is one exit door in the north wall. Unfortunately, there is also a wall of fire that stretches the entire width of the field and the wind is blowing south (and will continue to do so). The fire is too hot for you to go through it. how do you escape?

Grab a handful of corn, walk north and put it in the fire to make a torch. Then walk a safe distance south then start another wall of fire. That fire will go south and you can tread on the burnt corn it leaves behind. The fire to the north of you will eventually reach where the second fire started and then burn out as there is no more corn to burn. Once the northern fire is extinguished, walk to the northern door.
    :smile:
  • A king wants his daughter to marry the smartest of 3 extremely intelligent young princes, and so the king's wise men devised an intelligence test.

The princes are gathered into a room and seated, facing one another, and are shown 2 black hats and 3 white hats. They are blindfolded, and 1 hat is placed on each of their heads, with the remaining hats hidden in a different room.

The king tells them that the first prince to deduce the color of his hat without removing it or looking at it will marry his daughter. A wrong guess will mean death. The blindfolds are then removed.

You are one of the princes. You see 2 white hats on the other prince's heads. After some time you realize that the other prince's are unable to deduce the color of their hat, or are unwilling to guess. What color is your hat?

Note: You know that your competitors are very intelligent and want nothing more than to marry the princess. You also know that the king is a man of his word, and he has said that the test is a fair test of intelligence and bravery.
  • MrOneLung said:

rina said:

PL54 said:

rina said:

pas, mas, bras, millionaires, billionaires

Why is pas the plural of pass (etc) ?

Princes (above) is certainly correct
    Princes isn't the plural of princess
    Prince singular
    Add an S becomes princes plural.
    Add another S becomes princess singular again.
    A prince and a princess aren't the same thing. Why is
    prince>princes>princess
    different to
    pa>pas>pass
    or
    millionaire>millionaires>millionairess?

They're all xsingular>xplural>ysingular

Am I missing something here?

• Time on your hands today Sadie? Good riddles though.
  • edited May 2015

A king wants his daughter to marry the smartest of 3 extremely intelligent young princes, and so the king's wise men devised an intelligence test.

The princes are gathered into a room and seated, facing one another, and are shown 2 black hats and 3 white hats. They are blindfolded, and 1 hat is placed on each of their heads, with the remaining hats hidden in a different room.

The king tells them that the first prince to deduce the color of his hat without removing it or looking at it will marry his daughter. A wrong guess will mean death. The blindfolds are then removed.

You are one of the princes. You see 2 white hats on the other prince's heads. After some time you realize that the other prince's are unable to deduce the color of their hat, or are unwilling to guess. What color is your hat?

Note: You know that your competitors are very intelligent and want nothing more than to marry the princess. You also know that the king is a man of his word, and he has said that the test is a fair test of intelligence and bravery.

White.

If you were wearing a black hat, then each prince, being intelligent, would have seen one black or one white hat and thus come to the conclusion that if they were wearing a black hat, then if the other was looking at two black hats, they would have immediately deduced they were wearing a white hat.

However since neither prince has made this guess so far, then you cannot be wearing a black hat. Therefore you must guess white.

As it is also a test of bravery, you must be brave enough to guess even though there is an outside chance you could be wearing a black hat and neither prince has come your same deduction.

It is also a fair test, and it would be unfair if you were wearing a black hat as it would be impossible for you to accurately guess.
  • Fiiish said:

A king wants his daughter to marry the smartest of 3 extremely intelligent young princes, and so the king's wise men devised an intelligence test.

White.

If you were wearing a black hat, then each prince, being intelligent, would have seen one black or one white hat and thus come to the conclusion that if they were wearing a black hat, then if the other was looking at two black hats, they would have immediately deduced they were wearing a white hat.

However since neither prince has made this guess so far, then you cannot be wearing a black hat. Therefore you must guess white.

As it is also a test of bravery, you must be brave enough to guess even though there is an outside chance you could be wearing a black hat and neither prince has come your same deduction.

It is also a fair test, and it would be unfair if you were wearing a black hat as it would be impossible for you to accurately guess.
    Yes but stop googling lol
  • edited May 2015
    You are driving down the road in your car on a wild, stormy night, when you pass by a bus stop and you see three people waiting for the bus:

1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.
    2. An old friend who once saved your life.
    3. The perfect partner you have been dreaming about.
    Knowing that there can only be one passenger in your car, what is the perfect solution?
  • edited May 2015

You are driving down the road in your car on a wild, stormy night, when you pass by a bus stop and you see three people waiting for the bus:

Knowing that there can only be one passenger in your car, what is the perfect solution?

It stops raining an you pick the perfect partner up.
  • Fiiish said:

White.

Haha! The trouble with these riddles is that
    a) Some people have seen them before and
    b) Some people will google.
    To be fair, I get the feeling @Fiiish has seen them before rather than cheating, but you'll do well to find a riddle that nobody can get pretty quickly. I've worked a couple of the earlier ones out only to find someone beat me to it, but I assumed prior knowledge (or just quicker than me) rather than googling.
  • Sponsored links:

• You are driving down the road in your car on a wild, stormy night, when you pass by a bus stop and you see three people waiting for the bus:

Get the old friend to drive the old lady to hospital. The perfect partner will be so impressed that s/he will fall into your arms (I didn't Google that)
  • You are driving down the road in your car on a wild, stormy night, when you pass by a bus stop and you see three people waiting for the bus:

Get the old friend to drive the old lady to hospital. The perfect partner will be so impressed that s/he will fall into your arms (I didn't Google that)
    Yes well done.
  • Fiiish said:

White.

I'm a maths and puzzles nerd and my dad used to bring puzzles like this home all the times :)
  • rina said:

MrOneLung said:

rina said:

PL54 said:

rina said:

pas, mas, bras, millionaires, billionaires

Why is pas the plural of pass (etc) ?

Princes (above) is certainly correct
    Princes isn't the plural of princess
    Prince singular
    Add an S becomes princes plural.
    Add another S becomes princess singular again.
    A prince and a princess aren't the same thing. Why is
    prince>princes>princess
    different to
    pa>pas>pass
    or
    millionaire>millionaires>millionairess?

They're all xsingular>xplural>ysingular

Am I missing something here?

Sorry Rina wasn't saying millionaire,millionaires, millionairess etc was wrong. Was explaining why princess doesn't have to be plural of prince.
  • A man lives in the penthouse of an apartment building. Every morning he takes the elevator down to the lobby and leaves the building. Upon his return, however, he can only travel halfway up in the lift and has to walk the rest of the way - unless it's raining. What is the explanation for this?
  • Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

White.

I'm a maths and puzzles nerd and my dad used to bring puzzles like this home all the times :)
    Sorry
  • It's cool. I know the one you just posted but I'll leave it for someone else.

A dog in a garden is tied to a rope that is 10 metres long. The backdoor to the house is 20 metres away from the dog's kennel. Every morning his owner leaves a bone on the step outside the backdoor, yet every day the dog manages to get it. How?
  • Fiiish said:

It's cool. I know the one you just posted but I'll leave it for someone else.

A dog in a garden is tied to a rope that is 10 metres long. The backdoor to the house is 20 metres away from the dog's kennel. Every morning his owner leaves a bone on the step outside the backdoor, yet every day the dog manages to get it. How?

The rope is tied between the house and the kennel so he can just get to both?

• AFKA Knows

Have you got something against short people?
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah. He can press ground floor button but can't reach top floor button unless uses umbrella
  • PL54 said:

Plane crash

How do we know they didn't all die of something before crashing ?
    How come they are all together in the cabin? Why is the cabin intact after crashing?
  • Fiiish said:

Because 10 metres is radius so 20metres would be diameter if the tying point was in middle.
  • Fiiish said:

The rope is tied between the house and the kennel so he can just get to both?
    MrOneLung said:

Fiiish said:

Because 10 metres is radius so 20metres would be diameter if the tying point was in middle.
    Nope :)
  • A man and his son are in a car crash. The father is killed and the child is taken to hospital gravely injured. When he gets there, the surgeon says, 'I can't operate on this boy - for he is my son!!!' How can this possibly be?
  • purdis said:

PL54 said:

Plane crash

How do we know they didn't all die of something before crashing ?
    How come they are all together in the cabin? Why is the cabin intact after crashing?
    The riddle allows for freak aviation accidents
  • The surgeon was the boys mother.
  • The surgeon was the boys mother.

Yes

Still trying to work out fiish's one
  • edited May 2015
    3 fishermen sailed from home for 2 days on Monday, fished for a day then sailed back for two days and arrived home on Monday. How?
  • Monday is the name of the boat.