Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gray coming - update fee agreed

edited January 2008 in Rumours
Rumours from Burnley saying we've signed Gray for £1.5 rising to £2 mill. Would be a nice boost before a big game but at the moment it's not confirmed.

Comments

• interesting
  • good work big man.
  • doesn't this remind you of 12 months ago.

Very same situation with Bougherra and Sheffield Wednesday.

If we do sign him, i hope he finds his feet quicker than Bougy did
  • Has Bougy found his feet yet then?
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]doesn't this remind you of 12 months ago.

Very same situation with Bougherra and Sheffield Wednesday.

If we do sign him, i hope he finds his feet quicker than Bougy did

Has Bougy found his feet then? ; )
  • great minds n all that!
  • To be fair he looked great in his first game v Man Utd but was then taken off injured.
  • seems alot of money for a 29 yr old with pretty limited sell on value...I'm not really convinced we need another striker, although I saw Pards on SSN saying he wanted to replace Toddy.

I think that wort of money would be better spent in Central Midfield
  • I sensed something was up when i read Owen Coyle in todays papers going on about how we'd made an offer but they 'didn't have to sell', 'way short of their valuation' blah blah blah.
    Basically he meant you can have him if you give us a bit more cash.
  • If Gray helps provide/score the goals that get us promoted - then it's money well spent!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick[/cite]

But we have Reid, ZZ, Ambrose, Holland, Semedo, Racon, and even Wright if we're struggling who can all play there.
    I don't think Pards rates McLeod, Dickson is still raw, and if we get an injury to Varney or Iwelumo people will be saying, we should've bought another striker!
  • I think Gray and Varney could be gravy and i see Gray as a poss new Andy Hunt.

EIEIEIO UP THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE WE GO!
  • Isn't Pards trying to sign somebody with a bit of class to replace Todorov?
  • Lot's of if's here but not enough but's!
  • I'd try for Nicky Maynard at Crewe. Younger, cheaper (?) and we know he can work with Varney. Plays the like up role well. Not proven at this level in the way Gray is however.

If we can afford Gray then have to go with Pards call on who is the best man to get us up.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    If we can afford Gray then have to go with Pards call on who is the best man to get us up.

Agreed. I'm looking at the positives. Possibly our main rival for the 2nd promotion place, Watford (i think west brom will win it) are selling their top scorer and we're buying one of the divisions top scorers. Got to be happy with that.
  • [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick[/cite]seems alot of money for a 29 yr old with pretty limited sell on value...I'm not really convinced we need another striker, although I saw Pards on SSN saying he wanted to replace Toddy.

When we signed Mendonca, he was 28/29 and only ever played in the 2nd tier and below. But proven goalscorer.

When we signed Andy Hunt, he was 29 and played more or less all his matches in the 2nd tier. But proven goalscorer.

If we sign Andy Gray, he'll be 29/30 and played more or less all his matches in the 2nd tier. But proven goalscorer.

This season we're in the 2nd tier, looking for a proven goalscorer at this level.
    I don't think we can fault Pards' logic.........
  • Nice points Oggy, i bet you never finish a drink do you. It gets half way down and you quickly top it up!
  • Totally agree about Maynard but not sure he's recovered from his bad injury. as always 'in Pards we trust'
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Nice points Oggy, i bet you never finish a drink do you. It gets half way down and you quickly top it up!

LOL! West Side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Andy Gray scores goals, and bucket loads in this divison, lets worry about the Premier League when we get there
  • The whole age of Gray issue goes when you look at what Kevin Phillips is doing in this league.
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Totally agree about Maynard but not sure he's recovered from his bad injury. as always 'in Pards we trust'

maybe not. Played 9 games and scored twice since coming back from injury in December but I've not seen him play.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick[/cite]

But we have Reid, ZZ, Ambrose, Holland, Semedo, Racon, and even Wright if we're struggling who can all play there.
    I don't think Pards rates McLeod, Dickson is still raw, and if we get an injury to Varney or Iwelumo people will be saying, we should've bought another striker!

wright's gone to barnet for the season and Pards wouldn't risk him
  • Yet again we are paying to much money for average players if 2M is correct. Burnley must be wetting their selves laughing all the way to the bank.

1M would seem more reasonable for a 30 year old player. The question is if he is so good to cost that sort of money why the hell has no one else come in for him when he was younger and in his prime.

The difference when we signed Mendonca & Hunt they stood out when they came to the valley as opposition to me this guy hasn't. If we do sign him I just hope he forms a good scoring partnership quickly and lives up to the inflated transfer.
  • Spot on Rothk, Gray does the business in this league, coupled with other teams will be aware of what he can do, focus on marking him out hte game freeing up space for hte likes of Varney,ZZ and Ambrose to exploit
  • [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Spot on Rothk, Gray does the business in this league, coupled with other teams will be aware of what he can do, focus on marking him out hte game freeing up space for hte likes of Varney,ZZ and Ambrose to exploit

Don't you mean '...freeing up space for the likes of Varney,ZZ and Ambrose to blaze over the bar...'
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: StrikerFirmani[/cite]Yet again we are paying to much money for average players if 2M is correct. Burnley must be wetting their selves laughing all the way to the bank.

Jesus and i thought it was the rain flooding the west, must be the MK Dons board....
  • Have to say i am pleased with this if it is true, saw him play v the arse and thought he did very well. Looks like he knows where the net is anyway!
  • Just been on Burnley board, they are reporting Ipswich will bid for Gray today with player plus cash deal, and QPR could move in on the act with a £2m offer