Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gray coming - update fee agreed

1235»

Comments

• Options
    D'oh, sorry Henry!
  • Options
    Official site saying he's in the squad for tomorrow on an emergency loan. Think he'll play?
  • Options
    Varney and Gray up front i reckon. Now we should sign Lafferty and really pee their fans off!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It was pretty clear from the moment that Todorov was ruled out, that a 'senior' striker was coming in. Iwelumo, Varney, McLeod and Dickson were not going to fire us back up. Not a chance.

If Gray does the business (I've no reason to doubt him atm) and we go back up, the move will have paid for itself 40 times over. If we miss out this year, we've got an improved group of strikers (from the start!) of next seasons assault.

I really doubt this is the only move that'll be made. Even if it means shipping one or two out (JT, maybe McClown, Marcus Bent's loan made permanent?).

Lets see how the squad shapes up on February 1st, before passing sentence.
  • Options
    if he isn't then why bother with all the hassle of rushing through an emergency loan
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Nug[/cite]Official site saying he's in the squad for tomorrow on an emergency loan. Think he'll play?

He'll play. No doubt about it.

If he gets damaged, can we send him back? That'd please the dingles wouldn't it.. ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy Powell[/cite]It was pretty clear from the moment that Todorov was ruled out, that a 'senior' striker was coming in. Iwelumo, Varney, McLeod and Dickson were not going to fire us back up. Not a chance.

If Gray does the business (I've no reason to doubt him atm) and we go back up, the move will have paid for itself 40 times over. If we miss out this year, we've got an improved group of strikers (from the start!) of next seasons assault.

I really doubt this is the only move that'll be made. Even if it means shipping one or two out (JT, maybe McClown, Marcus Bent's loan made permanent?).

Agree with all of this.

Lets see how the squad shapes up on February 1st, before passing sentence.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]and defensively we've shipped as many as West Brom and Bristol City. The problem is at the other end

Since we've changed formation, we've scored 7 in 3, or 6 in 2. The last time we didn't score in a game was back at the Sheff U game in November.

On the other hand, we have kept one clean sheet in the last 12 games.

I've got nothing against the signing at all, i'm just saying if the pot is small my priority would of been elsewhere.

I understand the point your making but its a double edged thing; the less your team looks like scoring, the more vulnerable they look defensively. That has been the case more than once this season. We have just come through three games with Magic and Paddy in the heart of defence. I don't think they're our best pairing especially if Sodje stays but both of them have played well against teams who can do any defence some damage.

On the other hand, with a more effective strike force we would be in the 4th round now. If we had more offensive options perhaps we would not have drawn or lost so many home games. On balance, given the emergence of Magic and Paddy , the discovery of Youga and the return of Moo2, I think that our priority is no longer defensive. Maybe I wouldn't have said that before Christmas, but priorities change. Hence I think this is good news.

I remember when we signed Sir Clive, the club trumpeted that they had a major signing in the offing and when he was unveiled, a lot of fans were luke warm, because he wasn't a "star" name. I just remember watching him play for Grimsby against us in earlier games and thinking what a quality player he was technically and as a finisher. I was impressed with Gray when he played against us recently and I hope he has a similar effect to Sir Clive.

Bear in mind that his record is pretty good at this level, Pards has watched him for some time, and he will be playing with better players.

An excellent signing in my view.
  • Options
    Just on official site, if he passes medical this eve he will be in squad tomorrow, emergency loan deal.
  • Options
    CommentAuthorHenry Irving CommentTime2 hours ago edited permalink
    TBF That was Golfie not Large that said that. They are brothers not Siamese twins .

i think you will find niff niff and nuff nuff were in agreement over it so just as bad -
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]Just on official site, if he passes medical this eve he will be in squad tomorrow, emergency loan deal.

I assume this is in advance of the permanent deal being done next week? Seems odd to me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]Just on official site, if he passes medical this eve he will be in squad tomorrow, emergency loan deal.

I assume this is in advance of the permanent deal being done next week? Seems odd to me.

This was the only way he could play against Watford.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]This was the only way he could play against Watford

If that is right then its a bit of clever dealing by Pards/the club.
  • Options
    Leicester did the same thing on Jan 1st so their new player could play in their New Year's Day match.
    I forget who he is, but he's a permanent signing now.
  • Options
    Agreed, will give everyone a lift if he comes straight in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Leicester did the same thing on Jan 1st so their new player could play in their New Year's Day match.
    I forget who he is, but he's a permanent signing now.

steve howard
  • Options
    Thanks Isaw!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]andy gray will be the new jimmy melrose, his goals will push us to the promised land

Oiiiiiii. I'm not having that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]and defensively we've shipped as many as West Brom and Bristol City. The problem is at the other end

Since we've changed formation, we've scored 7 in 3, or 6 in 2. The last time we didn't score in a game was back at the Sheff U game in November.

On the other hand, we have kept one clean sheet in the last 12 games.

I've got nothing against the signing at all, i'm just saying if the pot is small my priority would of been elsewhere.

I understand the point your making but its a double edged thing; the less your team looks like scoring, the more vulnerable they look defensively. That has been the case more than once this season. We have just come through three games with Magic and Paddy in the heart of defence. I don't think they're our best pairing especially if Sodje stays but both of them have played well against teams who can do any defence some damage.

On the other hand, with a more effective strike force we would be in the 4th round now. If we had more offensive options perhaps we would not have drawn or lost so many home games. On balance, given the emergence of Magic and Paddy , the discovery of Youga and the return of Moo2, I think that our priority is no longer defensive. Maybe I wouldn't have said that before Christmas, but priorities change. Hence I think this is good news.

I remember when we signed Sir Clive, the club trumpeted that they had a major signing in the offing and when he was unveiled, a lot of fans were luke warm, because he wasn't a "star" name. I just remember watching him play for Grimsby against us in earlier games and thinking what a quality player he was technically and as a finisher. I was impressed with Gray when he played against us recently and I hope he has a similar effect to Sir Clive.

Bear in mind that his record is pretty good at this level, Pards has watched him for some time, and he will be playing with better players.

An excellent signing in my view.

Well said, and let's keep up the Sir bit before that magical name.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]andy gray will be the new jimmy melrose, his goals will push us to the promised land

Oiiiiiii. I'm not having that.

Not guilty, Jimmy.

My published work was plagiarised (sp) & corrupted by a devious OoAah because he had nothing to moan about..... ;o)