Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Peeters confident of decent season if he lands all of his transfer targets

Comments

• It's the hope the kills paulie.
  • The transfer market this year proved more competitive than ever, and our targets were also being chased by rival clubs.
    However, we have secured the services of Simon Church from Reading and Marvin Sordell from Bolton.
  • Brilliant dig at Pardew by Murray in that article. "when" they sack him....... Chortle chortle,
  • Though I still think it was bit of a second language issue, RD did put a bit of a dampener on things with his comments on survival being the aim. I am liking Big Bob's positivity/confidence, I hope it's not misplaced but I think being RD's own choice he'll get plenty of backing and time if we don't take off like a rocket.
  • thenewbie said:

Though I still think it was bit of a second language issue, RD did put a bit of a dampener on things with his comments on survival being the aim. I am liking Big Bob's positivity/confidence, I hope it's not misplaced but I think being RD's own choice he'll get plenty of backing and time if we don't take off like a rocket.

I recall Dowie being confident :)

No seriously, fully behind the team now its a new era and one we have to embrace.

Excited for the new unpredictable season that could swing either way.
  • Saying the right things but I think there must be an app for it somewhere. I don't like the network bit but I am beginning to look forward to the season. The sun must have affected me, although others will blame the Pastis 51 ;-)
  • Brilliant dig at Pardew by Murray in that article. "when" they sack him....... Chortle chortle,

Pardew has done 3.5 years already there, it's not inconceivable he might do the full 6 years (5.5 actually)!

Pardew has done 3.5 years already there, it's not inconceivable he might do the full 6 years (5.5 actually)!
    Is it not a 8 year deal
  • What if Bob does not land his transfer targets? Does he have 2/3 choices for each position in case they want too much or do not see the football club as an attractive scenario? Are we back to Roly's choices?

2 unknowns in so far who could start on fire or be a damp squib. Time will tell on that. We need at least another half a dozen in who know what English football is about and specifically the Championship.

If Riga was still in charge my view on the above would be exactly the same.

Confident? No. Let's see where we are after ten league games.
  • Sponsored links:

• We have to see how we do in the market and who the targets are.
  • thenewbie said:

Though I still think it was bit of a second language issue, RD did put a bit of a dampener on things with his comments on survival being the aim. I am liking Big Bob's positivity/confidence, I hope it's not misplaced but I think being RD's own choice he'll get plenty of backing and time if we don't take off like a rocket.

The performance of the manager in the Championship isn't what RD is monitoring, it is his assets. Yes if we lose every game obviously he'd be gone, but more on the reasoning that the products he has sent there and spent large money on are obviously not performing under him. IMO/
  • I doubt we could have persuaded Vetokele and Buyens to The Valley without showing them some intent. In Vetokele's case he would be making a huge mistake career wise if we bomb because lack of quality.
  • thenewbie said:

The performance of the manager in the Championship isn't what RD is monitoring, it is his assets. Yes if we lose every game obviously he'd be gone, but more on the reasoning that the products he has sent there and spent large money on are obviously not performing under him. IMO/
    Sure if a big bid comes in or the Academy produces a replacement then players get sold. Batshuayi has just gone from Liege to Marseille. The coach is there to secure results and add value to the squad.
    A conflict arises if we approach the top six and a decent player is sold but that isn't todays issue. Come to think of it I remember Hales and then Flanagan being sold when I was a kid so nothing really changes except the clubs ability to secure top dollar(parker) or being caught having to run a fire sale (Walsh and Elliot)
    The January transfer window will tell us a lot in terms of players going in and out.
  • Has any manager landed all their summer targets?
    Saying that I'm optimistically happy this season as long as we finish above them again

Is it not a 8 year deal
    It's an eight-year rolling contract, which means they could sack him at the end of a season and he'd only get a year's money.
  • The thing that worries me most is squad size. We didn't have the biggest squad last year, and in a lot of ways we were saved by the academy squad being incredibly precocious. We couldn't have expected all the kids who came in to settle into first team football so well, and without them we would have been sunk. I think you could tell from our line-ups at the start of the season that Poyet, Cousins, Lennon, Fox and Piggot were never meant to be spending so much time in the first team squad. We've lost a large number of players this season, and mostly on free transfers so there's no fees to put back into the acquisition side. I'm sure Bob can put together a decent 11 but I'm slightly concerned that if we get a few injuries we'll be looking threadbare. Need to get lots more bodies through the door soon

Is it not a 8 year deal
    It's an eight-year rolling contract, which means they could sack him at the end of a season and he'd only get a year's money.
    That would make it a one year rolling contract. At the time of signing, it was reported he had a very long contract.
  • Doesn't say how confident he'll be if he DOESN'T land all of his transfer targets

Murray got rid of Curbs because he wanted him on a contract longer than a year
  • Sponsored links:

Is it not a 8 year deal
    That would make it a one year rolling contract. At the time of signing, it was reported he had a very long contract.
    There are get outs though.
  • The thing that worries me most is squad size. We didn't have the biggest squad last year, and in a lot of ways we were saved by the academy squad being incredibly precocious. We couldn't have expected all the kids who came in to settle into first team football so well, and without them we would have been sunk. I think you could tell from our line-ups at the start of the season that Poyet, Cousins, Lennon, Fox and Piggot were never meant to be spending so much time in the first team squad. We've lost a large number of players this season, and mostly on free transfers so there's no fees to put back into the acquisition side. I'm sure Bob can put together a decent 11 but I'm slightly concerned that if we get a few injuries we'll be looking threadbare. Need to get lots more bodies through the door soon

When you looked at the back of the programs every week I think we had the biggest squad in the league , it was the quality in the squad that was the problem I.e cook , green and church being back ups.
  • thenewbie said:

True, but said assets will no doubt look better in a high flying team than one grubbing around the foot of the table. Results might be secondary but they won't be irrelevant to if the rolling contract does in fact roll or grind to a halt.
  • Doesn't say how confident he'll be if he DOESN'T land all of his transfer targets

Murray got rid of Curbs because he wanted him on a contract longer than a year

Very different - Murray got rid of Curbs because he had no intention of staying past the end if his contract and the players knew it.
  • I doubt we could have persuaded Vetokele and Buyens to The Valley without showing them some intent. In Vetokele's case he would be making a huge mistake career wise if we bomb because lack of quality.

This!
    I think it's in everyone's interests that the squad is completed on time and with the right players. Duchatelet wants his first full season to be a success; we want better football and results; Peeters needs results to get renewed and the players will obviously want results.
    So four quality players ASAP please.
  • I watched that press conference on player and one thing struck me most about it. The grey suit Riga was sporting last season must have belonged to the club, as it's now being worn by Bob, although it looked like it was a big on the snug side.........................
  • Hope his targets include a keeper, back up RB, 2x CBS, 2x wingers, 1x attacking midfielder and 2x quality strikers. At least half of which have genuine, long term experience of UK football.
  • Hope his targets include a keeper, back up RB, 2x CBS, 2x wingers, 1x attacking midfielder and 2x quality strikers. At least half of which have genuine, long term experience of UK football.

Nine signings? How much would that lot come to?

Think you might be being a tad optimistic there AC!
  • I think that we will see a new goalkeeper,two new centre halfs, two midfielders and one striker.
  • One new centre half as I doubt he'd want one to sit on the bench and push Gomez as 4th choice or not even in selection. He'll go one keeper, 1 CB, 2 midfielders and 1 striker.. but to me that's lacking.