Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peeters confident of decent season if he lands all of his transfer targets

Comments

• Options

Hope his targets include a keeper, back up RB, 2x CBS, 2x wingers, 1x attacking midfielder and 2x quality strikers. At least half of which have genuine, long term experience of UK football.

That's a big ask, I would imagine that Wilson would be the back up RB in question, and at least one of the wingers and CBs would be academy products asked to step up (or freebies, with the likely quality that implies) and with two new strikers in already at most we can probably expect one more, a hefty target man type most likely. The goalkeeper will probably be Logan Bailly if rumours are to be believed, the attacking midfielder I agree would be helpful as we can't rely on Cousins having two storming seasons in a row - it would be unfair at his age.

Rightly or wrongly I expect we will be seeing a fair few academy products making the step up this coming season, which at the very least will be an interesting prospect...
  • Options
    Hopefully we'll get a couple of players in this week and 3 or 4 more by mid-July, so that they have a proper chance to bed in. The right noises are certainly coming out of the club and we need to get some of these proposed deals over the line.

I think we've lost 13 players plus 3 loanees since the end of the season. Whilst only 5 of those 16 were regular first teamers (with Pritchard and Green also playing a fair few games), the fact that we've only got 3 players in so far illustrates the level of transfer activity that will be necessary to make us competitive. Fingers crossed that (a) we can make the signings and (b) that they'll be up to the rigours of the Championship.

Whilst we will want to do as much business as we can now, as others have commented elsewhere on CL and in Mundell's interesting Trust article, we are likely to find ourselves in a more competitive position in the January transfer window if, as is expected, many Championship clubs are unable to make new signings because of their non-compliance with FFP. As I understand the position correctly, that includes extending the contracts of existing players, it will (as we know to our cost) exert further significant pressure on those clubs.

http://www.castrust.org/2014/06/ffpgamechangerormuchadoaboutnothing/?
  • Options

The thing that worries me most is squad size. We didn't have the biggest squad last year

Last season's squad, by any measure, was huge. But it really was a case of never mind the quality feel the width.
    The squad included so much dross that should never have got in the door in the first place: Gower and Hughes (both too old); Evina, Pritchard, Green, Cook, Hollands & Feeley - not good enough. I'd love to know what the combined cost per minute played was for that lot. (I'm not even mentioning the various loan signings.)
    Their wages might have got us one decent striker!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    thenewbie said:

Though I still think it was bit of a second language issue, RD did put a bit of a dampener on things with his comments on survival being the aim.

But then I believe 3 years ago Chris Powell went to the Bromley Addicks meeting and told everyone that he had about the same budget as Rochdale.

Then we go out and sign 22 new players. And walked away with the title.

• Options
    Speaking of Keepers, any decent ones who are free agents?

Alongside, any decent youngish GKs from League 1 we could pinch?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

thenewbie said:

Though I still think it was bit of a second language issue, RD did put a bit of a dampener on things with his comments on survival being the aim.

But then I believe 3 years ago Chris Powell went to the Bromley Addicks meeting and told everyone that he had about the same budget as Rochdale.

Then we go out and sign 22 new players. And walked away with the title.

Yeah but those were all Proper Experienced English players weren't they, all proven and what have you, none of these fancy schmancy, unproven inexperienced Belgian riffraff. It's totally different... ;
  • Options
    Sure, Newbie ...... but I was just trying to pick up on the way things are understated.
    Powell was no exception and Roland neither, I feel.

There's no doubt more players will come in.
    Expections will surely be higher than a massive relegation battle and just scraping survival.

• Options
    I suspect we are agreeing and my regrettable tendency for sarcasm backfired once again. The facts as I see are that RD has clearly demonstrated that he is willing to put his hand in his pocket and spend on non-network players directly for Charlton IF he can be convinced of their worth (e.g. Vetokele) and that players from within the network are most certainly NOT has-beens or rejects (Buyens was mainstay at Liege until last season). In January, some of the players that came in did not work out, but I am sure lessons have been learnt. From all reports Buyens style is much better suited for the physical side of the Championship than (for example) Adjeravic was.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    It's late notice, but some of you might be interested in this..
    BBC London Sport ‏@BBCLondonSport 14 mins

#cafc #addicks Interview with Charlton's new manager Bob Peeters on BBC London 94.9 coming up between 14.30-15.00
  • Options
    What did he say?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We only have 10 players who have played more than 10 games for our first team. That tells me are seriously light at the moment which makes signing experienced quality in all areas as absolute must.
  • Options

Has any manager landed all their summer targets?
    Saying that I'm optimistically happy this season as long as we finish above them again

Dowie did
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Saying that I'm optimistically happy this season as long as we finish above them again

Dowie did
    I think that says it all about Dowie's transfer targets
  • Options
    If you look at our squad, I would think we need to develop a good team spirit and hope we can get more goals. Our defence will be complete with a back up cb. But will Raza, possible new striker and igot score goals. A good player in midfield to provide service could help too. I expect us to finish 12th but people from other clubs will think we will be close to relegation.
  • Options
    When was this interview, seems out of date
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Dowie did
    Dowie didn't. Andrew Mills and Murray buggered up signing quite a few of dowies targets.
  • Options
    I expect to see a few free transfers coming In in the next few weeks.. as we've seen in the last couple years if you know where to look there can be useful squad players picked up for free ie Alnwick and wood! If we can pick up a couple similar to them an attacking midfielder, striker and a winger I think that would be enough.. Whilst I am more than happy to see RD reach into his pockets I won't mind the odd freebie coming in as there are plenty out there who could do a job..
  • Options

dizzee said:

Dowie did
    Dowie didn't. Andrew Mills and Murray buggered up signing quite a few of dowies targets.
    You going to explain to people why they should believe that statement or are you just going to leave it as a casual slur?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2014

dizzee said:

Dowie did
    You going to explain to people why they should believe that statement or are you just going to leave it as a casual slur?
    Not sure how much input Dowie had into some of them.....Traore and Faye nearly turned up at Xmas when Curbs was still there and we'd been after Andy Reid for a couple of years. When Piggybank rolled in Murray said we'd been after him for a while as well. What I remember of the Brave New World (2006 version) was that Mills would identify players and do the negotiating, leaving Curbs and whoever came next to worry about the football.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    CHARLTON head coach Bob Peeters has promised he will always consider the academy players at his disposal before delving into the transfer market.

The former-Belgium international held his first pre-season session on Thursday and his squad numbers will almost certainly need bulking up before the start of the Championship campaign.

But Peeters revealed that priority will be given to the club’s youngsters - starting with highly-rated England U17international defender Joe Gomez.

“I like to work with people who were born locally and played in the academy,” said the 40-year-old.

“I will always search in my academy first and if I can play a local boy then I don’t need to look to buy another player. That is one of my philosophies as a manager.

“It is so important that you give them the experience and if it is a very difficult season, like last season, then it isn’t easy for them to stay with their head above the water.

“You have to put them in at a good moment so they can develop into good players.

“One of the main reasons I signed here was because in Belgium I was giving a lot of young players a chance; they are all now regulars in Belgium’s first division.

“The academy of Charlton is of a high standard and I have already said to Joe Gomez, who is only 17, that he will do pre-season with the first team. I want to see if young players can do the job.

“It is important if you have a talented young defender to give him a chance.

“You need two or three of those so that the other young players can see that they will get the opportunity to play in the first team at Charlton.”

Peeters signed a one-year deal in SE7 last month having guided former club Waasland Beveren to survival in the Belgian Pro League. The former Millwall striker has earned a reputation for being a manager who makes his side’s tough to break down, and he says that he has picked up a number of tips from his previous bosses.

He said: “As a player I had the luck of playing for some very good coaches.

“I had Ronald Koeman, Martin Jol and some others, all good managers. You learn something from all of them.

“Also, when you have a bad manager then you learn how not to do things. You can learn as a player and a manager.

“This is only my fifth year in coaching. I am still learning and I will make mistakes - just like players do. You can only learn from that and then we go on.

"We have 46 games in a season and it is human to lose a game as a coach, but then three days later you have another chance to go for it.

“People make mistakes and it is not about me having a great deal of wisdom because football changes.

“I am a manager known in Belgium for putting a good team shape and organisation in place and then trying to create chances.

“I think you have seen in the World Cup that a lot of teams who are very organised, but may not have the best players, can do a good job. A lot of big names aren’t going to reach the second round.

“It all starts with organisation and then we will try to pass the ball a little bit more.

“When I was here 10 years ago with Millwall it was a little bit kick and rush but it has started to change a bit. I like to play a passing game.”

Peeters’ two-year spell with the Lions was blighted by injuries and yielded just 27 appearances for the Den club.

But, despite having limited experience of English football, he is well aware of the challenges that the Championship will provide - and is already getting to work on his players.

Peeters said: “The Championship is one of the top five or six competitions in the world and a lot of people who are not familiar with it may think it is easy. I know from my experience that it is very tough.

“Everybody can beat everybody, you can lose to a bottom team and then beat a top one so it is a very hard 46 games.

“We need a good squad that can be competitive and can hopefully be in a good position in the table.

“We need to have a better season than last season. We can only do our best.”

Charlton’s first runout under Peeters is a 45-minute match against Standard Liege on July 5 as part of their stay in Belgium before following up a day later by facing Sint-Truiden.

Peeters said: “We have got six weeks - the players will need to get to know their new gaffer. That is normal.

“If we can bring in the faces that we want to - add some quality to the team - then we will work hard as a team and see what happens. It is very important that we are ready when the season starts.

“I had already seen a few players doing some gym work and running at the training ground before they came back yesterday.

“I didn’t want to annoy the players on their holidays so now they are back I am going to talk to them with the staff individually, hear what they have to say, and then explain my point of view to them, my philosophy and what kind of system we are going to play with.”
  • Options
    thanks CE, where did that interview come from?
  • Options
    many thanks for the intel ff, all sounds very good, as it should at this stage, and rhoys is a top-notch man & player.
  • Options

thanks CE, where did that interview come from?

SLP :-)
  • Options

dizzee said:

Dowie did
    Big William has put it well.

Dowie identified targets and mills and murrays job was to negotiate. Hence dowie being a "head coach".

I know we missed out on rob green, sidwell, isaksson etc because of this reason.
  • Options
    I fail to see how he can say this? He is on Sky today saying that 'youth' will be given a chance, before he dips into the transfer market. Does he think that all his 'targets' are going to wait for him to sign them? Year after year, we fail to get out of the starting blocks early, with regards to transfers. This either means we end up signing out of desperation, or because the club feel obliged to get some new faces in to appease fans. It also means the squad has less time to gel and get used to playing together. The whole 'youth' comments just makes me think that RD/BP are just trying to get a half decent squad together on the cheap with the aim of surviving again? Is it just me or do others think this? Personally, if the club DO have transfer targets, why not target them at the earliest opportunity? If they are a target for Charlton, i'm sure they will be a target for other clubs?
  • Options

Was at SL this morning for the weekly mowing & watering & the players were already out training when we arrived...at least 15-30mins earlier than last season.

They were using the pitch furthest away from the Memorial Garden ( b*m!) and whilst we're DEF not there to watch/earwig or whatever else some from the Dark Side might imagine, it was apparent that it was a very full on session....plenty of shouting/clapping etc and seemingly few drinks' breaks even though the sun was beating down.

Rhoys came over as the lads made their way back into the changing rooms & we had a chat, mainly about holidays & how we are both relishing the up coming season. He said the 2 new players are integrating well & speak good English and in general was very upbeat as usual. Sounds as though that team spirit is definitely alive & kicking again !

Fanny - was Rhoys training? What did he say about his injury?