Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Well done Dr Dre

Comments

• Options
    buckshee said:

cafctom said:

Shame that we'll probably never get another album from him. 2001 was a masterpiece.

2001 was good but the chronic however was a masterpiece
    Spot on.
  • Options

dizzee said:

Best thing he's done is bring through Eminem.

lol no
    Lol ye

http://hiphopwired.com/2014/03/24/eminem-becomes-second-best-selling-male-artist-time/
  • Options
    Croydon said:

He was worth $350m already, I think this takes him over the Billion mark

Only in America, their billion is just a measly thousand million

Britain has not used a million million to be a billion for quite some time now. We toe the line that a billion is a thousand million.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Its not a subjective thing, but you are twonk if you buy beats headphones, you're an even bigger twonk if you buy fake beats.

Seriously, people do that? Jeez that's like buying a plastic turd from a joke shop.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

dizzee said:

lol no
    Lol ye

http://hiphopwired.com/2014/03/24/eminem-becomes-second-best-selling-male-artist-time/
    How does this make it 'the best thing he' s done'? Unless you equate your like for a musician based on how popular they are - in which case, I hear a band called One Direction are quite popular...
  • Options
    dizzee said:

dizzee said:

lol no
    Lol ye

Ok. Let's completely overlook that he created NWA's sound, the godfathers of gangsta rap, then his work on death row records where he produced snoop dogg, Nate dogg and tupac to name a few and basically created the entire west coast sound. Let's forget he's one of the most, if not the most influential producer on modern music. But producing some hick from Detroit with a bit of marketable talent is his greatest achievement.

Eminem would be no where near as successful if he wasn't white, FACT.
  • Options

dizzee said:

dizzee said:

lol no
    Lol ye

Ok. Let's completely overlook that he created NWA's sound, the godfathers of gangsta rap, then his work on death row records where he produced snoop dogg, Nate dogg and tupac to name a few and basically created the entire west coast sound. Let's forget he's one of the most, if not the most influential producer on modern music. But producing some hick from Detroit with a bit of marketable talent is his greatest achievement.

Agree with everything apart from your last line. Eminem whether he is black or white is an absolute genius. In my opinion is a class above any rapper there has ever been.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

dizzee said:

dizzee said:

lol no
    Lol ye

Agree with everything apart from your last line. Eminem whether he is black or white is an absolute genius. In my opinion is a class above any rapper there has ever been.
    Tupac and biggie for a start.
  • Options
    His skin colour makes him a bit interesting and had a novelty value fifteen years ago. His colour doesn't come out with the words

Anymore than someone like kele okerke and bloc party were good because he looked different to most lead singers in bands like them. Thats a bit lazy mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:

His skin colour makes him a bit interesting and had a novelty value fifteen years ago. His colour doesn't come out with the words

Anymore than someone like kele okerke and bloc party were good because he looked different to most lead singers in bands like them. Thats a bit lazy mate

the colour of his skin helped along the way, especially when he started out as a white guy who could actually rap and do it well. After that the success feeds itself if you hang around long enough. I'm not saying he's talentless, far from it, but his skin colour helped being marketed as "safe" for consumers, more so than the likes of biggie or tupac who were seen as criminals, or at least part of the black panther movement. That combined with the fact he was being produced by a hip hop great like dr dre (another smart business move by dre) almost qualified him to the hip hop community.

Macklemore has admitted himself that he benefits commercially from being white, he acknowledges that he's "gentrifying" hip hop to an extent and being white makes him seem "safe" to record execs when being black and saying the same stuff he'd be called a gangsta.

I'm not saying Eminem has no talent, He's very talented, but there are talented people, more talented if you ask me, that are in the underground hip hop scene and wait, get this, they're black.

• Options
    I've never understood the 'overrated because he's white' argument. People are aware there are other white rappers right? Bubba Sparxx, Paul Wall, Mac Miller, Machine Gun Kelly, Brother Ali. Why haven't they sold records? Genuine question.

Don't get me wrong my hip hop catalogue is 90% black, and Eminem is the only white rapper near my top 5, but he's still firmly at the top.
  • Options
    Surely talent and rap is an oxymoron?
  • Options

Hi Dad :)
  • Options
    edited June 2014

dizzee said:

dizzee said:

dizzee said:

lol no
    Lol ye

Both very good, but my opinion is that Eminem is better.

Eminem bought something new to rap, he bought comedy, stories and something very special. Slim shady LP is the work of an absolute genius. Sure other rappers have been brilliant ie biggie and tupac, rapping about money drugs and girls, but Eminem just bought that extra something to the table that has made him of what will be a legend in years to come, not his colour.
  • Options
    He's no Vanilla Ice
  • Options
    dizzee said:

dizzee said:

dizzee said:

dizzee said:

lol no
    Lol ye

Eminem bought something new to rap, he bought comedy, stories and something very special. Slim shady LP is the work of an absolute genius. Sure other rappers have been brilliant ie biggie and tupac, rapping about money drugs and girls, but Eminem just bought that extra something to the table that has made him of what will be a legend in years to come, not his colour.
    Your assessment of Eminem as better than Biggie and Pac is correct but your reasons are not. People had been storytelling and joking through rap for years before. Also Tupac rapped about a lot more than 'drugs, money and girls'. In fact I can't think of a single Pac song about drugs.
  • Options
    One of the skits on marshall mathers lp always makes me grin

'You know why dre sells records? He's rapping about big screen tvs, blunts and bitches. You're rapping about homosexuals and vicodin'

I have listened to a fair bit of rap and hip hop and I liken it to watching british cage fighting in that there is an ocean of crap to sift through but gold is there to be found. Eminem and krs one two gold ones

Anyway we're going off the track here. Dr Dre put his name to some headphones and helped them sell tons. Good luck to him, clever marketing and branding over perceived quality. Beats are decent headphones, not top end but pretty good

Bose make some beautiful ones and have probably taken a massive hit by not tying someone like dre into selling their stuff
  • Options
    I got Beats Solo HD, for listening on the train, walking to work, or on a plane, by the pool etc what's not to like. I am not a headphone expert but it seems to me they do what it says on the tin and we know they are more expensive than they should be because of Dre and the hype but saying that's I still wouldn't part with mine.
  • Options

Carter said:

Macklemore has admitted himself that he benefits commercially from being white, he acknowledges that he's "gentrifying" hip hop to an extent and being white makes him seem "safe" to record execs when being black and saying the same stuff he'd be called a gangsta.
    He raps about buying clothes from a charity shop in one song and questions his sexuality in another; if you think that is "gangsta" you are really out of touch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Listen to Akala's fire in the booths... Won't be in your taste but he is one of the best lyricists you'll ever hear.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

dizzee said:

dizzee said:

dizzee said:

dizzee said:

lol no
    Lol ye

Your assessment of Eminem as better than Biggie and Pac is correct but your reasons are not. People had been storytelling and joking through rap for years before. Also Tupac rapped about a lot more than 'drugs, money and girls'. In fact I can't think of a single Pac song about drugs.
    I think "High til I Die" might be about drugs mate.

• Options

Carter said:

the colour of his skin helped along the way, especially when he started out as a white guy who could actually rap and do it well. After that the success feeds itself if you hang around long enough. I'm not saying he's talentless, far from it, but his skin colour helped being marketed as "safe" for consumers, more so than the likes of biggie or tupac who were seen as criminals, or at least part of the black panther movement. That combined with the fact he was being produced by a hip hop great like dr dre (another smart business move by dre) almost qualified him to the hip hop community.

I'm not saying Eminem has no talent, He's very talented, but there are talented people, more talented if you ask me, that are in the underground hip hop scene and wait, get this, they're black.

When Eminem 'made it', his whiteness made rap a lot more accessible to white people, so in a roundabout way, his whiteness made him more commercial yes.

But do you think as white trailer trash in Detroit, trying to rap, it gave him an advantage? Not at all.

He's made it because he's a pretty good rapper and the first 2 albums in particular were fantastic.

There are more talented people all over the place who didn't make it. There'll be players on Hackney Marshes who could've been in the prem, people on checkouts who could've been big city hot shots. Not everyone makes it, and Eminem being white wasn't the sole reason for him rising to the top out of Detroit.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

dizzee said:

dizzee said:

dizzee said:

lol no
    Lol ye

You should go back & listen to more Tupac if you think he just rapped about money, drugs & girls.

An album like 2PACALYPSE NOW and Me Against The World had nothing like that.

Killer Mike currently comments on a lot more than that too. As does Talib Kweli.
  • Options
    Article from last year
    Dr. Dre is one of the most successful rapper-turned-moguls in the game. His fortune sky-rocketed with the Beats headphones and this has allowed him to spread the wealth. Recently, Dre and Jimmy Iovine donated a combined $70 million ($35 million each) to the University of Southern California. The money went to help further the education of thousands of students in Los Angeles, as most of the funds went to creating a new degree at the university — blending liberal arts, graphic and product design, business and technology. This became the largest gift by a black man to any college or university in the country. Dr. Dre has also helped over the years to make LA a safer city by donating to numerous charities to help inner-city youth.

• Options
    A plain white Hugo Boss tshirt sells for 60 quid. There is always premium on branding and beats are perceived as a fashionable brand. That is the cost, not the sound quality.
  • Options

He can use all his money to finance social inprovements in Compton and other deprived areas of America.

Would you?

I am pretty sure he does a lot for charity already, why should he give up his money.

At the end of the day he is self made billionaire good luck to him
    I would do if my money was made in the same way.
    There were three themes to NWA and Dr Dre music
    1. How jolly super they thought they were.
    2. The use of racist terminology.
    3. How frightfully hard it is to be black in socially deprived areas of America.

Now with his wealth he can fix point 3 rather than just 'sing' about it. He is the lucky position to make a real difference on point 3.
    I don't think Dre has ever "sung" in his life.

it will take a lot more than a billion dollars to even start to "fix" the systematic and nationwide racism directed at black people that goes on in USA, indeed the world, as your post so illustrates. I'm far from being a bleeding heart "but you dont know what its like being x and y" you REALLY don't know what its like being black and poor in the USA. The most likely thing that will happen is that you'll end up either in prison or dead, and not just at the hands of other criminals, but under the "custody" of the state.

The fact that you so brush under the carpet number 3 is alarming. It was probably also why NWA were so important, they tackled these issues directly in their music which broke through into the mainstream.

Carter said:

When Eminem 'made it', his whiteness made rap a lot more accessible to white people, so in a roundabout way, his whiteness made him more commercial yes.

But do you think as white trailer trash in Detroit, trying to rap, it gave him an advantage? Not at all.

He's made it because he's a pretty good rapper and the first 2 albums in particular were fantastic.

There are more talented people all over the place who didn't make it. There'll be players on Hackney Marshes who could've been in the prem, people on checkouts who could've been big city hot shots. Not everyone makes it, and Eminem being white wasn't the sole reason for him rising to the top out of Detroit.
    he's very talented, but not the best, i was reacting to some one posting that he's the best because he sold more records. I'm not denying he had serious talent to get out of the trailer trash shithole he was in. But that also adds to his commercial appeal... in the same way it made pac's and biggie's music commercially appealing, but he had the added bonus of being white and "accessable" to white, middle class kids across the world.
  • Options
    He's also not a rapper, not sure why people keep calling him one.
  • Options
    Has Dre sold Beats or has he tied himself to producing new things for Apple?

Company will be overtaken in 5-7 years. Credit to Dre, he has sold them a pup. Beats sales in next 12 months as they are? Awful.

Apple linking its software into technically worst in class fones? Who gonna buy that? When I can have Sennheiser linked into spotify or soundcloud for less money.

Apple used to invent things people didnt realise they needed and made them highly desirable.

Apple now buys things people have realised they no longer want. Its now rather uncool to be seen with Beats for the hipsters/rude boys as they are behind the Zeitgeist.

Dre will release his next big thing outside of the deal.