Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Real Ales

MCSMCS
edited December 2007 in Not Sports Related
Yo dudes, hope all had a nice crimbo. I did!

Anyways, I have always been partial to a real ale here and there every so often, but since my jaunt to the sheppard neame brewary in faversham, i have been bang on the old bishops finger, spitfire, witstable bay, and master brew, the latter 2 especially! I reckon i can drink 4 and thats it, otherwise i am rocking proper!

Anyway my point is wow they are so much better than shitty old lager, i am totally converted!

Anyone else partial apart from the obvious (Off it and dj davey i know you 2 like i seem to remember this thread on netaddicks!)

Plus where is my local sheppard neame pub???

Comments

• Very much a Real Ale man.

Eurofiz (aka known as lager) should only be drunk very cold when the temperature is exceedingly hot in my opinion.
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]Yo dudes, hope all had a nice crimbo. I did!

Anyways, I have always been partial to a real ale here and there every so often, but since my jaunt to the sheppard neame brewary in faversham, i have been bang on the old bishops finger, spitfire, witstable bay, and master brew, the latter 2 especially! I reckon i can drink 4 and thats it, otherwise i am rocking proper!

Anyway my point is wow they are so much better than shitty old lager, i am totally converted!

Anyone else partial apart from the obvious (Off it and dj davey i know you 2 like i seem to remember this thread on netaddicks!)

Plus where is my local sheppard neame pub???

you'll end up like reefy ;-)
  • Gave up drinking lager and other lethal chemical concoctions years ago.

Try drinking it at room temperature - you can't.
    It's only ice cold so that it numbs the taste buds, otherwise nobody would convince themselves to drink it.

Made me laugh: Kronenbourg now boldly promote their pisswater as "......now even colder!"

LOL! Made colder so you definitely can't taste it.

How many drinkers are suckered in by that marketing......?
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]bishops finger
    a nun's best friend that is
  • I think theres The Crown at Chislehurst. Used to do a crawl to The Bull (Youngs). Both good beers.

Several Shep pubs out here near Sevenoaks.
  • i had a "Yule Fuel" in Blackfriars pub by, erm, Blackfriars. Horrible - i've never got used to the taste of "beer"
  • I had a firkin of Adnams Best at home over Christmas. All gone now but it lasted for over a week. Only 3.7% ABV but pure quality on the taste front. You can drink a good few pints without even feeling like beating up some family members who out stay their welcome!
    I am a big fan of Shepard Neame too. I am afraid Youngs have gone downhill since the brewery closed. Fullers are still consistant but I only really like their ESB.
    The Badger Brewery are very good - Tanglefoot - Yummy!
  • My local is a Sheps pub and I'm a lager man as a rule but can handle a few Master Brews when it suits.

Come and join the party tonight Ollie!! Stu's coming to see the finest DJ on the board and to counteract the 'Ketmania' sweeping the Medway towns ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite] Plus where is my local sheppard neame pub???

Tried to put Bevederererererererererere into their site-

Nothing there mate! :-)

Trouble with real ale is that you have to pick and choose your pub and imho, i'd prefer a pint of Strongbow to a bad pint of real ale.

Mind you- likely to be having a quick pint of Landlord this eve in town this eve.
  • Sorry MCS that would be Genreral at Sea public house Chavham
  • Sponsored links:

• All hail the ale. Got used to drinking lager living here in Portugal, but never touch the stuff when there's real beer on offer.
  • thanks chaps, i wouldnt mind trying some others now, but i am loving the fantastic bottles the neame stuff come in, and its almost a pint as well so even better, a whole pint in a bottle! They also do some ace lager too, hurlemann, orangeboom, asahi, kingfisher to name but a few! But as davey says, its the taste thats the difference, i never thought i would like the taste of beer (well Ale actually) that much, but it looks like i am now a full blown alki!! Oh well!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Sorry MCS that would be Genreral at Sea public house Chavham

cheers dude, but dont do NYE, its a rip off load of crap! Otherwise have a verty happy one!!! Nah in all seriousness dude i never go out on nye these days, just prob sit indoors and knock the mrs about after 1 to many spitfires!!
  • Hurlemann lager- that takes me back to my Chislehurst underage drinking days.

Pint of H for 50p and that was expensive then!
  • My local back in the 70's & 80's was the "Sawyers Arms", next to the bus garage at Bromley Common.

At a time when real ale was scarce to find amongst all the fizzy Double Diamond, Harp lager & Watneys bleedin' Red Barrel, this old Shepherd Neame pub was an oasis.

Apart from Master Brew & Special on the pumps, it also sold White Shield - a bottled real ale with sediment at the bottom of the bottle. You had to be careful not to shake it while pouring and you always left the dregs in the bottom of the glass.

But wonderful tasty beer.
  • Plus where is my local sheppard neame pub???

The Anglesea Arms in Woolwich
  • Proper beer is lovely beer, whether it's lager or bitter - I love the proper lager in the Greenwich Union, and I had possibly the nicest pint of real ale I've ever had a few weeks back in the Jolly Farmers in Lewisham, a beer called Proper Job by the St Austell Brewery.

There's a Shepherd Neame pub next to the fire station in west Greenwich, the Royal George.
  • It's a good tour the Shepherd Neame one. They do one where the food is matched to the beer, so you get Sushi with Asahi, Beef & Yorkshire with Bishop's Finger and best of all 1698 with choolate brownies etc.
  • The Old House at Home in Bexley is a Shep pub and the Robin Hood & Little John in Bexleyheath does a great range of beers.
  • The Plume of feathers by Greenwich park sells real ales, also selling Harvey's ales at present.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]Proper beer is lovely beer, whether it's lager or bitter - I love the proper lager in the Greenwich Union, and I had possibly the nicest pint of real ale I've ever had a few weeks back in the Jolly Farmers in Lewisham, a beer called Proper Job by the St Austell Brewery.

[/quote]

St Austell Brewery is in my neck of the woods, deep in Oggy Oggy land.

'Proper Job' is well good enough to put down your neck although that breweries flagship brew is 'Tribute' - like a lot of Cornish beers, they tend to be a bit on the sweet side. They also do their HSD which being a lot stronger, if you drink too many will blow your b*ll*cks through your ears.

Skinners is a small brewery in Truro - and they name their beers after Cornish legends - like Betty Stoggs, Cornish Knocker and others.

Sharps is a favorite Cornish brewer - they won 2nd prize in the national beer championships last year with their 'Doombar' - it's the Pooches plums - very drinkable and what I'd recommend if you are ever on holiday in Cornwall.
    I walk into a pub and ask for a pint of 'Doom' whenever Charlton lose at home......(!)

I find you can get many of the Cornish brews up the line in London.

Inspector, have you ever drunk 'Real lager' - not to be confused with Czech, Polish or Indian brews?
    Brewed in the same way as real ales, it's a revelation - there is no comparison with chemical lager that has no taste -I was drinking it on the Isle of Skye, Scotland this summer.
  • I'm not much of an ale man myself - but give me a pint of micro-brewed pilsner & I'm happy. We are blessed with some good breweries over here - the Calgary brewer Big Rock produces a mighty fine wheat beer called Grasshopper - which I defy anyone to dislike.

Anyway, while all you lot revel in the joy that is 2008, it's still miserable old 2007 over here for another 6 hours - Happy New Year!
  • edited January 2008
    welcome to the fold mcs. next stop a belly like mine and a ruddy complexion!

anyway, agree with a lot that's been said here - Harveys, Tanglefoot, London Pride, Tribute, Doom Bar, Adnams are all fine, fine drops. My favourite session ale has always been Youngs Special, though that's probably largely to do with some of my favourite pubs and regular haunts being Youngs pubs.

Someone's already mentioned the Plume of Feathers in Greenwich/Maze Hill and they've always got a decent range on, so my advice is get yourself down there before a home game and try them all out. Then of course the summer sees beer festivals all over the gaff - and they're definitely worth a go to sample new delights. Enjoy!
  • I'm with Algarve, since I've been in Switzerland it's mainly been lager but I can buy bottled ale from Italian supermarkets, I currently have 2 bottles of Youngs London Special.
  • I ordered a crate of Schiellion (sp) by Harvistoun for Crimbo...Its a real lager...loverly.

Visit the Bull in Chislehurst quite frequently, love the Special and the Winter Warmer.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Inspector, have you ever drunk 'Real lager' - not to be confused with Czech, Polish or Indian brews?
    Brewed in the same way as real ales, it's a revelation - there is no comparison with chemical lager that has no taste -I was drinking it on the Isle of Skye, Scotland this summer.

Lager out of a cask, like this? If so, yes, it's nice stuff.
  • Hi inspector.

I'd never heard of Cains lager before but it's no doubt the real McCoy.

Danny Matheson, Chairman of CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale)’s Renfrewshire Branch and a competition judge in Paisley, explained:
    ‘It’s a lovely beer, and tastes how a lager should taste, without all the chemicals in it.
    Cains was a very worthy winner and very popular with the knowledgeable beer drinkers who attended the festival.’

‘We are amazed and very happy that we seem to have found a taste and style of lager British beer enthusiasts have taken such a shine to’

Cains Finest Lager is available via your local WaverleyTBS Depot or contact Cains 0151 709 8734
  • Cool chaps, thanks for the advice. Praps we could organise a Charlton life ale drinking day!! But anyway i had a couple of tanglefoots on NYE which is lovely one, nearly my fave after master brew! So thanks for that davey. Might haver to pop in the ploom at greenwich then, try a couple of new ones.
  • Real Ales for Real Men.Its a whole new world, too many top brews to mention but Badger and Adnams are my chosen tipple.No going back to that lager shite once you've been fingered by the bishop.

If you feel young and special have a Youngs Special

If you feel old and peculiar have an Old Peculiar
  • Always been a real ale drinker (well, not when I was a kid obviously). It's one of the few downsides of living here in Czech that there's none available, but the lager here is much, much nicer than in England. Not sure about the Real Lager though as I've never tried it.