Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Real Ales

Comments

• Ollie, you are so much older than your years mate!!!

Nearest shep neame pub might be the pots & pans (albert) in bexleyheath.
  • yo mortain, thanks man, i feel it!! 29 next year, i feel i am still about 19!

Oh of course the albert, praps we should have a mosy on down there and you can see what the fuss is all about, like someone has said here you'll never go back! I had lager on new years day in the bugle, and its really not that good!
  • Have today (15/2/2011) started a new thread for Sawyers Arms if anyone's interested.

jackogz
  • I have just started brewing in my cellar. Kits at the moment. But work has begun on my very own all grain micro brewery. It is a wonderful thing.
  • [cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]I have just started brewing in my cellar. Kits at the moment. But work has begun on my very own all grain micro brewery. It is a wonderful thing.

Vinnie, are you local to me in Bexley or can you get here easily? Send me a whisper - I've been brewing for over 30 years - we should talk!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite][url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/feb/16/pub-of-the-year-london]The Harp, near Charing Cross station, has been named CAMRA's national pub of the year.[/url][/quote]

Oh well that is just great, it is always busy now it will just be silly. It to find a new bolt hole until it charms down.
  • Ship and Shovel behind CX is a cracker. Tanglefoot. Yummy.

Had a session on Bengal Lancer in The Counting House last night. That is a lovely beer. It's their guest at the moment, not for much longer though. Hope they get Gales HSB next.
  • So I am guessing a good few of use are real ale drinkers then?
    Do we ever arrange outings?
  • Quality beers in here, the Hophead is worth a try
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]
    Quality beers in here, the Hophead is worth a try

That's a Dark Star beer I think. Pubs that sell it seem to attract awards it seems. Must be good.
  • The Market Porter, Borough market.
  • The Harp is a great pub- I used it regularly when I was working in the area. However, it was rammed then - can't imagine what it will be like now.

Watched a lot of Cricket in the Ship and Shovell when England won the Ashes (in England). Another good boozer, but possibly doesn't have the character of the Harp.
  • The Harp was very busy yesterday (around 6.30) so went around the corner to the Lemon Tree and then to The Marquis (very reasonable) and great music.
  • The Harp was very busy yesterday (around 6.30) so went around the corner to the Lemon Tree and then to The Marquis (very reasonable) and great music.
    Went in there with a mate once. He’s normally a Guinness / Lager man - but decided to order a pint of this warm brown sludge. Funnel Blower I think it was called. 

He took one big gulp and instantly retched very loudly and really struggled to keep it down. 

The regulars weren’t impressed 😄
  • My current tipple is White Rat from The Osset Brewery in West Yorkshire. Quite light and hoppy and perfect during the summer.
  • Tring Brewery's Side Pocket for a Toad is my session beer of choice, an easy drinking but very tasty  golden ale. Indeed I occasionally visit their brewery to pick some up...
  • I was in the Harp a few weeks back on a Saturday early evening. Not a bad pub, beer tasted fresh unlike a few of the  Ale type houses who's beer has a vinegar twang.
    It wasn't too crowded and a pleasant atmosphere. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Always amazes me how people find ancient threads to reopen.

Credit wredit where it's due, especially when it's something close to the heart like this one.
  • Bloody hell. That’s some thread bump.
    Probably under age to post in 2011
  • Just reading back to the original post, are there still many Shepherd Neame pubs around?
    Master Brew was always my favourite ale back in the day, but haven't had one since we moved to Bournemouth back in 1987.
    I used to get a polypin of Master Brew every Christmas, but when I checked the SN website online recently they don't seem to do them nowadays.
  • I had some beer brewed for a work gig in Ashfield NC last week . I asked them to avoid over hopped citrusy beer and I got 

a craft pilsner - very nice
    a brown ale at 5-6% which was rich but not heavy
    a beautiful bitter with loads of malt and caramel
    a bonus blueberry lager which sounds awful but was lovely 
    Unpasteurised for some reason so can’t be shipped 
  • Just reading back to the original post, are there still many Shepherd Neame pubs around?
    Master Brew was always my favourite ale back in the day, but haven't had one since we moved to Bournemouth back in 1987.
    I used to get a polypin of Master Brew every Christmas, but when I checked the SN website online recently they don't seem to do them nowadays.
    Loads. Mainly in Kent, though they have a few in Central London now
  • I've never been a fan of Shepherd Neame, far too hoppy for my liking. Maybe Master Spew was OK in the eightees, but it was for many years after that quite appalling. I haven't seen it for a while now. Probably a good thing.

What I find particularly strange is that they now have two different beers called Spitfire. There's the amber ale that they've had for years and now a lager. I know that they are trying to cash in on their Kent heritage and the Battle of Britain thing, and that Oranjeboom hardly fits the bill in that (or maybe any other) respect, but that's madness.
  • Stig said:
    I've never been a fan of Shepherd Neame, far too hoppy for my liking. Maybe Master Spew was OK in the eightees, but it was for many years after that quite appalling. I haven't seen it for a while now. Probably a good thing.

What I find particularly strange is that they now have two different beers called Spitfire. There's the amber ale that they've had for years and now a lager. I know that they are trying to cash in on their Kent heritage and the Battle of Britain thing, and that Oranjeboom hardly fits the bill in that (or maybe any other) respect, but that's madness.
    There's a Spitfire Gold as well. They're basically exploiting the brand.

It's always amused me that the Kent T20 cricket team is called the Kent Spitfires, and they are sponsored by Spitfire. Very close to Coventry Talbot territory.
    Loads. Mainly in Kent, though they have a few in Central London now
    5 in Hastings Old Town.
  • Stig said:
    I've never been a fan of Shepherd Neame, far too hoppy for my liking. Maybe Master Spew was OK in the eightees, but it was for many years after that quite appalling. I haven't seen it for a while now. Probably a good thing.

They do some good bottled beers tend to avoid hand pump stuff in S&N pubs though the Five Grains lager is pretty good.
  • Bloody hell. That’s some thread bump.
    Probably under age to post in 2011
    46 in 2011.