Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Real Ales

13»

Comments

• Just reading back to the original post, are there still many Shepherd Neame pubs around?
    Master Brew was always my favourite ale back in the day, but haven't had one since we moved to Bournemouth back in 1987.
    I used to get a polypin of Master Brew every Christmas, but when I checked the SN website online recently they don't seem to do them nowadays.
    Loads. Mainly in Kent, though they have a few in Central London now
    5 in Hastings Old Town.
    The Old Pump House is good.
  • Stig said:
    I've never been a fan of Shepherd Neame, far too hoppy for my liking. Maybe Master Spew was OK in the eightees, but it was for many years after that quite appalling. I haven't seen it for a while now. Probably a good thing.

What I find particularly strange is that they now have two different beers called Spitfire. There's the amber ale that they've had for years and now a lager. I know that they are trying to cash in on their Kent heritage and the Battle of Britain thing, and that Oranjeboom hardly fits the bill in that (or maybe any other) respect, but that's madness.
    They do some good bottled beers tend to avoid hand pump stuff in S&N pubs though the Five Grains lager is pretty good.
    TBF, I don't mind a bottle of Nun's Delight.
  • Have always thought Shepherd Neame overrated. I find it has a thin, metallic taste and is little better than Greene King beer, which is also generally pretty poor.
  • IdleHans said:
    Have always thought Shepherd Neame overrated. I find it has a thin, metallic taste and is little better than Greene King beer, which is also generally pretty poor.
    Yes tend to agree, though I do like Abbot and Abbot Reserve is rather special.
  • I still lament the old days when a visit to Portsmouth was a great opportunity to get tanked up on Gales HSB and Brickwood Pompey Royal.
  • Another vote here for never liking Shepherd Neame. Keep meaning to do a brewery tour one day - in the hope that ‘fresh from the barrel’ might convince me otherwise.

I’ve found the basic range of Sainsburys own bottled beers are quite decent. (Bitters, Golden Ales and even their seasonal Ales) They seemed to have stopped selling Woodforde’s Nelsons Bitter which was a cracking beer. But…. if anyone wants to try it, you can now get the 5l tins delivered direct from Amazon. Thoroughly recommended 😛

For Kent beers, the Musket brewery (south of Maidstone) has some good options. I’ve had 5l tins of Fife & Drum, Flintlock, Ball Puller - all of which are great session Ales.

Can also recommend the ‘Goody’ Brewery down in Herne. They’ve got a lovely rural setup there and a cracking range of Ales. Genesis is their base line (where it all begun) and is brilliant and tastes stronger than its 3.5% suggests. Also watch out for ‘Good Innings’ as the Cricket season rolls into action - it’s another cracking Ale.

But… sitting as my first choice Beer of the last 5 years is ‘St Peters Golden Ale’ (sometimes labelled Golden Gate). I cannot get enough of the stuff. It is just fucking superb. Infact, I shall go and open one now. Cheers 🍺 

• St Peters beers all lovely. If you like dark beers give their plum porter a go - delicious!
  • Hurlimanns was the draft at the Den.
    That could possibly explain things.
  • IdleHans said:
    St Peters beers all lovely. If you like dark beers give their plum porter a go - delicious!
    And visit the Jerusalem Tavern to drink them all 
  • IdleHans said:
    St Peters beers all lovely. If you like dark beers give their plum porter a go - delicious!
    Titanic do a lovely plum porter. Indeed their beers are one reason why I must go to the Port Vale away game this season (that's where they're based)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2023
    Further recommendation for the River Ale House on the Woolwich Road run by Trevor a long suffering Addick and frequented by a large number of other Charlton fans especially on match days. At least 6 excellent beers (few too many IPA and not enough Amber for my tastes) all from small breweries and when it's gone, there's always another one 
  • I’ve still got my CAMRA glass from the 1975 event held in Covent Garden
  • edited May 2023
    I joined CAMRA early on, 1971 I think and my membership number was 043. Wish I still had that little white card. 
  • I joined CAMRA early on, 1971 I think and my membership number was 043. Wish I still had that little white card. 
    Wow, my membership number is 59500!
  • I joined CAMRA early on, 1971 I think and my membership number was 043. Wish I still had that little white card. 
    Wow, my membership number is 59500!
    I was talked into joining aged 17 (nearly 18) by a friends brother while have a drink at The Hole In The Wall pub in Waterloo under the railway arch. 
  • IdleHans said:
    Titanic do a lovely plum porter. Indeed their beers are one reason why I must go to the Port Vale away game this season (that's where they're based)
    Agreed. I'd like to try them side by side 
  • Don’t see the Brains Ales about so much.
    South Wales brewers?
  • R0TW said:
    Don’t see the Brains Ales about so much.
    South Wales brewers?
    Based in Cardiff. I think they've had a few financial problems
  • Used to like Rev James, which I believe is one of theirs?
  • R0TW said:
    Used to like Rev James, which I believe is one of theirs?
    A couple of pubs in the City sold it back in the day.